Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Finding it really hard to cope at uni. I can't talk to people however hard I try, and when I do I am completely ignored and made to feel **** by my hallmates. Tempted to go home for the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Tough time implies that there is either a beginning or an end to the toughness. I know I need to stop stressing over tiny things but it always seems to be so many tiny things all at the same time and all when I'm already feeling like ****. The form isn't a tiny thing either, it just confirms very much what a loser I am, and having not done it is going to make things many many times harder in the next few weeks and is going to mean a lot of explaining and hence talking to people, possibly even in front of a lot of other people, which could have been avoided. That's why I'm ticked off.

Spent the day thinking...probably wasn't a very good idea.

How'd your class go?
    Things will change, and hopefully for the better. For example, you aren't going to be stuck at uni forever, and who knows what you'll end up doing after. Although my cpn told me today not to look more than about a week into the future, because if you're depressed you'll always just imagine the worst case scenario. So maybe you shouldn't listen to a word I'm saying. :p:

For the form are you sure you don't want to get in touch with the eip people, if it'll save you that much hassle? Or you could just make up some people. :mmm:

The russian class? Wasn't meant to be til tomorrow, but got an email today saying the whole thing's been cancelled due to lack of enrolment. I'm supposed to have another one on Friday, but I'm betting that one's gonna be cancelled too. So much for keeping up with my studies and meeting new people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Things will change, and hopefully for the better. For example, you aren't going to be stuck at uni forever, and who knows what you'll end up doing after. Although my cpn told me today not to look more than about a week into the future, because if you're depressed you'll always just imagine the worst case scenario. So maybe you shouldn't listen to a word I'm saying. :p:

For the form are you sure you don't want to get in touch with the eip people, if it'll save you that much hassle? Or you could just make up some people. :mmm:

The russian class? Wasn't meant to be til tomorrow, but got an email today saying the whole thing's been cancelled due to lack of enrolment. I'm supposed to have another one on Friday, but I'm betting that one's gonna be cancelled too. So much for keeping up with my studies and meeting new people.
    I really would get them to sign it but it's not really something they can sign I don't think, it'd make things so much easier to invent people but it's kind of official important stuff and I don't really want to be charged with fraud :p: I'd like to believe you that things will change but really I can't see it happening. The past few days any hope of things ever being better has totally evaporated from me entirely. I know you're trying to help, I just can't see it happening tbh.

Oh tomorrow...damn that sucks. You don't know the other one won't happen though, it might still because they were kind of different levels no? Are there any other courses you might be interested in, maybe not a language just whatever you like the look of might be fun.

(Original post by maddieeeee)
    Finding it really hard to cope at uni. I can't talk to people however hard I try, and when I do I am completely ignored and made to feel **** by my hallmates. Tempted to go home for the weekend.
    :console: A lot of people would probably tell you to stick it out over the weekend because you might meet people but tbh if you're just going to be sitting in your room crying then you might as well go home. Sorry in my head that sounds kind of nasty I dunno, if you think it will help then go home but in my experience it does tend to make you feel a bit worse because at least at uni you can tell yourself that you might make friends with someone. Have you started classes yet or joined any societies? People you live with in halls are total random there's no logical reason why you'd get along with them, whereas in societies and in your classes at least you have something in common.

Don't lose hope yet.

My prediction was right. 1st week and a half I was ok. Now I feel like ****. Can't deal with people, don't want to eat and just want a big hug, but no-one is here to give me one, and the only person who could lives off campus :sad:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Boyfriend? If so, I know how you feel.

Virtual hug though: :hugs:
    Nope, hes 250 miles away :emo: I was more pointing towards someone who is actually in the same city.

:hugs: Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aled-flat.html
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841559-c...le-dead-in-car

What's the first emotion that comes into your head when you read those stories? Sympathy with other peoples loss, sadness for the victims and those left behind, ambivalence, apathy?

My support worker yesterday told me that it was tragic that the first thought that comes into my head is jealousy. Jealous that they have achieved what I have set out to do before, jealous that they succeeded where I failed. They warned me today that ultimately they can hospitalise me to try and stop me and they're not at all reluctant to use that option but one day I'm going succeed. It's strange when you hear that for the first time, a ringing endorsement of ones eventual ability to kill oneself.

ReputationRep:
    Saw the doctor this morning, he was really nice. He said that I should try counselling first before going back down the drugs route as the SSRIs will probably screw me over again if they did last time (he initially suggested a lower dose of Citalopram but I refused that) and the other class of ADs would just have a sedating effect. Got to sort out counselling tomorrow and then go back to him in a fortnight, see if I feel any better. If not, then he's going to think about doing drugs and counselling :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aled-flat.html
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841559-c...le-dead-in-car

What's the first emotion that comes into your head when you read those stories? Sympathy with other peoples loss, sadness for the victims and those left behind, ambivalence, apathy?

My support worker yesterday told me that it was tragic that the first thought that comes into my head is jealousy. Jealous that they have achieved what I have set out to do before, jealous that they succeeded where I failed. They warned me today that ultimately they can hospitalise me to try and stop me and they're not at all reluctant to use that option but one day I'm going succeed. It's strange when you hear that for the first time, a ringing endorsement of ones eventual ability to kill oneself.
    My first thought is that I think its nice that they did it in pairs if thats what they decided to do, I wish (I dont because I dont wish death on anyone) but that I had someone to do it with aswell. And so I dont think its that abnormal .

Keep strong

ReputationRep:
    In my profile bio, I've managed to recreate my life using only emoticons. :sigh:
    Aww, that's so cute :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Saw the doctor this morning, he was really nice. He said that I should try counselling first before going back down the drugs route as the SSRIs will probably screw me over again if they did last time (he initially suggested a lower dose of Citalopram but I refused that) and the other class of ADs would just have a sedating effect. Got to sort out counselling tomorrow and then go back to him in a fortnight, see if I feel any better. If not, then he's going to think about doing drugs and counselling :sigh:
    I'm really glad it went well. :hugs: Drugs aren't the end of the world... I hated my first SSRI and the second was really helpful. It's pretty 'normal' to try more than one- there's no reason why another would be the same and this time you'll be more ready for anything going wrong. But I hope counselling helps too. I suppose I just think you should use all your resources if there's any chance of them helping.

ReputationRep:
    Im happier now at the current dose of quetiapine. Been told that at some point in the next few weeks the plan is if im happy with it to add Lithium or an AD to it. Not sure how I feel about taking more drugs.. I guess why not..

In my profile bio, I've managed to recreate my life using only emoticons. :sigh:
    i love that sooo cute :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    New friends of mine are starting to cotton on to the fact that I'm not very well and could be suffering from depression etc. I've mentioned the fact that I've had to see a psychologist/counsellor or whatever be it for CBT or even visiting my GP. I don't know why, but I always feel so ashamed when someone finds out, as though I'm weak somehow, but the fact is they're there to help after all. I don't know why I can't tell more people or allow them to understand better, but I just worry that it comes across as attention-seeking and my family have mentioned that it's best to say I'm just fine for now. Or lie and say I had problems in the past but am 'absolutely fine' now when that's not true at all - I'm dealing with it every day... I'm even more worried because I'm off to uni in a few days and have to deal with even more people.
    Even Tony Soprano was depressed. It's not a weakness as much as it's rage turned inwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    :hugs: I'm so glad hun! I hope things continue this way.

Oh yeah, I went to the GP today and I'm being put on new antidepressants so hopefully I'll see a difference. Also, taking part in an eating disorder relapse prevention study thing and I'm part of the group who gets the intervention and I got the booklet in the post. I think it could be really helpful to me, I'm just finding it very triggering because I think I'm in a bit of a precarious position and all the talk of readmission (it's for people who have just been discharged from hospital) is scaring the **** out of me but in a paralysing way, not in a I must eat way. Though I did eat. And I feel like ****. But I did it.

Haven't felt this awful in a while. Feeling, not quite suicidal but apathetic. I'm sick of everyday being a struggle from the second I get out of bed to the moment I get back in. I'm sick of never feeling good enough and every attempt I make to be better, failing. I'm sick of feeling alone. I feel like I'm a burden and a drain on everyone and it would be better if no-one had to deal with my ****. I don't want to deal with it either. I'm so so tired of myself. I can feel myself sinking into depression again, I just really really hope the pills work.

I feel so guilty posting here because I know I haven't been a great support here but I'm sorry... I'll be better. I hope you are all relatively ok. :hugs:

Edit: Think I might go to bed now. If you quote me, I'll respond tomorrow. Night... xxx
    :hug: dont feel guilty for posting on here, we all have a right to post on here to experess how we were feeling and you have that same right too.
    I understand what you are saying about feeling like a burden to everyone but those who really care about you wont see it like that at all.

Things are ok for now with me, I'm content...though I do sometimes think about things but I'm trying to take control of my thoughts and stop them spiralling out of control. I've realised that I've been VERY lucky this past year concerning one area of my life, things could have gone very wrong for me but I guess God was watching over me ....I dont even want to think about what could have happened. But I've also been very stupid, you just cant trust everyone especially if they give you reasons not to...but we live and we learn from our mistakes. Hopefully I've learnt my lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    Another 10,000 posts have gone by in the depression soc...so it's time for a new thread.

This society welcomes all members who may be suffering from depression, where we get together and help support each other to try and help ourselves through the rough times, and perhaps share advice that might help out fellow sufferers.

So, bring on the discussion, bring on the hugs...and maybe one day, bring on the happiness

do you sometimes feel as if you have no motivation for school/college? is that a clear link to depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maazzy)
    do you sometimes feel as if you have no motivation for school/college? is that a clear link to depression.
    Not on its own, if coupled with other symptoms then maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maazzy)
    I wouldn't say it was a "clear link" but probably a pretty common symptom. I find I don't really have motivation for anything, not just uni.

ReputationRep:
    The good old NHS.

"Did your blood test come back clear?"
    "Erm... what blood test?"
    "Were you not sent for a blood test initially when you were placed under our unit?"
    "Erm.. no."
    "Oh..."

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Feeling pretty ****** tonight. I need to go to my new GP tomorrow to get more ADs but I don't want to leave my room. I feel like I'm slipping back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Feeling pretty ****** tonight. I need to go to my new GP tomorrow to get more ADs but I don't want to leave my room. I feel like I'm slipping back.
    :console:

Can you send for a repeat prescription online perhaps? Or over the phone?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.