Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by depresseduser)
    I'm really really depressed. University isn't getting any better.
    :console: There are 3 ways to deal with this.

1) keep trying to make things better, what is it that's making it crap for you? If you've just started it might be worth persevering because sometimes things take a while to get started properly so it might just be that.

2) Keep trying but don't bother with the optimism, this choice is lonely and horrible but you're there for a degree so all other factors could be argued to be secondary.

3) drop out. Uni isn't for everyone, if you really hate it then why be somewhere you hate for 3 years when you could be getting experience, enjoying yourself, whatever.

You haven't really said much about why it's not so good, so I can't think how to help you much more...?

ReputationRep:
    Going to a new sports club in 40 mins, ******** myself over it scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Going to a new sports club in 40 mins, ******** myself over it scared
    Good luck. What sport is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Good luck. What sport is it?
    "floorball" :mmm:

Never played/even heard of it before.

ReputationRep:
    "floorball" :mmm:

Never played/even heard of it before.
    Interesting. Judging by wikipedia, it seems to be pretty much like indoor hockey.

Have fun floorballing.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous, can rationalise as much as you want... but it doesn't stop the paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so low and I'm not 100% sure I know why

ReputationRep:
    Played for a bit, then wimped out. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Played for a bit, then wimped out. Pathetic.
    :console: At least you tried. And you can always go again next week.

You eaten anything today?

ReputationRep:
    :console: At least you tried. And you can always go again next week.

You eaten anything today?
    Know I won't though, just don't fit in. Ate a tesco chicken sandwich, didn't want to faint whilst playing.

How're you?

ReputationRep:
    :console: There are 3 ways to deal with this.

1) keep trying to make things better, what is it that's making it crap for you? If you've just started it might be worth persevering because sometimes things take a while to get started properly so it might just be that.

2) Keep trying but don't bother with the optimism, this choice is lonely and horrible but you're there for a degree so all other factors could be argued to be secondary.

3) drop out. Uni isn't for everyone, if you really hate it then why be somewhere you hate for 3 years when you could be getting experience, enjoying yourself, whatever.

You haven't really said much about why it's not so good, so I can't think how to help you much more...?
    no friends in my lectures, no friends to talk or do things with in between lectures, no friends to go to clubs with, I failed to make a sports team so I have to go through extra training this term which is costing me a fair bit of money, I'm going to another sport tomorrow but worried I won't make any friends cos its a team sport and I haven't played a team sport for a while, I feel like people just ignore me (like at the checkout today at the shop, the girl said hello to everyone - apart from me. this sort of thing happens all the time with me. I don't get what's wrong with me).

ReputationRep:
    Know I won't though, just don't fit in. Ate a tesco chicken sandwich, didn't want to faint whilst playing.

How're you?
    If you enjoyed playing the actual sport you should go back, even if you didn't get on with the people. If I can do Russian with a bunch of 50 year olds, you can do floorball (:rofl:) with these people. Besides, you've only met them all once, there might be somebody you've overlooked who you could be friends with. Got any more sports lined up?

I'm alright, trying to summon up the energy to make banana bread.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly finished my last packet of Chocolate fingers, after they're gone, it's healthy eating from here on in. No more ****. Exercise 5 times a week, eat healthy, lose some weight :yy:

ReputationRep:
    no friends in my lectures, no friends to talk or do things with in between lectures, no friends to go to clubs with, I failed to make a sports team so I have to go through extra training this term which is costing me a fair bit of money, I'm going to another sport tomorrow but worried I won't make any friends cos its a team sport and I haven't played a team sport for a while, I feel like people just ignore me (like at the checkout today at the shop, the girl said hello to everyone - apart from me. this sort of thing happens all the time with me. I don't get what's wrong with me).
    :hugs: you sound in the same situation as me, and it sucks. Know exactly what you mean about people ignoring you, I swear I'm invisible sometimes, or people just hate the look of me. Anyway, yeah it does suck, but the only real advice I can think of is that you need to keep trying. I have no idea what it is about other people which makes them hate some people on sight, keep a smile on your face and keep trying. You might not feel like trying and you might get sick of ******** walking away or being unfriendly but that's probably the only way that things might change.

Did you have friends at school? Maybe you could ask them if they know anything about you that might be putting people off? Or there are books etc to improve social skills, which might work for you. You could even possibly try pills that help with anxiety if that's the problem for you.

If you enjoyed playing the actual sport you should go back, even if you didn't get on with the people. If I can do Russian with a bunch of 50 year olds, you can do floorball (:rofl:) with these people. Besides, you've only met them all once, there might be somebody you've overlooked who you could be friends with. Got any more sports lined up?

I'm alright, trying to summon up the energy to make banana bread.
    I don't think it was actually that enjoyable tbh. I mean it was quite fun but it wasn't at any point "omfg this is awesome, I love this" kind of fun. Playing dodgeball sometime, wanted to play basketball but the girl obviously didn't like the look of me and refused to give me the details. :rolleyes:

Mmmmm banana bread. That one doesn't require too much energy, you just throw everything together no?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it was actually that enjoyable tbh. I mean it was quite fun but it wasn't at any point "omfg this is awesome, I love this" kind of fun. Playing dodgeball sometime, wanted to play basketball but the girl obviously didn't like the look of me and refused to give me the details. :rolleyes:

Mmmmm banana bread. That one doesn't require too much energy, you just throw everything together no?
    Fair enough if it wasn't that good. I was actually incredibly good at dodgeball at school. My skill lay in my great ability acquired during other sports to avoid the ball at all costs.

Banana bread is made. Now I have cake. :drool:

mmm banana bread LOVE.

ReputationRep:
    you've pretty much described my situation there! although a lot of it is down to me being ill.....do they offer peer mentoring where you are? im gonna try it myself and see if it helps, otherwise keep persisting and you might get somewhere :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Man alive, I am walking a thin line here. The fact that I don't have any blades is REALLY ******* frustrating right now. Can't do that anyway. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    No food for 2 days and I don't feel even a bit hungry. Just slightly faint but other than that, great.
    Please eat something. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    idk if people actually like me or if they just take pity on me, idk how people find it that easy to talk to each other, I can barely speak to people I dont know very well

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.