Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Thanks for the offer becki

I just had a class, felt able to take my hoody off and despite some comments I overheard it was bearable. You're absolutely right people should accept others but they often don't and that's what I'm scared of, will look into wearing long sleeves might just go for it without, I dunno, I'm feeling a little better took prn meds might be why.

How're you?
    I'm glad your PRN helped. I know, it's horrible that people judge us for it. Good luck if you do decide just to go for it, that'd be very brave of you.

I'm not too bad. Feeling a bit on edge but not too low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I'm foolish - I haven't got to know the people in my corridor at university within the first few days very well, and I'm seriously scared of going into the kitchen on my own with loads of people in
    Go on, deep breath and just go for it

Maybe make a beeline for the fridge, make yourself a cup of tea (offer to make a pot), be there for some purpose other than just heading in to see who's there! You can do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Go on, deep breath and just go for it

Maybe make a beeline for the fridge, make yourself a cup of tea (offer to make a pot), be there for some purpose other than just heading in to see who's there! You can do it
    I'll try, I've been psyching myself up for this for half an hour (quite sad, I know). I have fridge food from the supermarket, it's gonna go hot soon.

This is so frustrating, I prefer it when there's not so many people in there :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I'll try, I've been psyching myself up for this for half an hour (quite sad, I know). I have fridge food from the supermarket, it's gonna go hot soon.

This is so frustrating, I prefer it when there's not so many people in there :sad:
    Got any nice food? Don't think about them, think about the food (and the money you've spent on it!) and go in, smile and say hi, how are you?, put the food away and see how it goes. Would it help to visualise it first?

ReputationRep:
    Got any nice food? Don't think about them, think about the food (and the money you've spent on it!) and go in, smile and say hi, how are you?, put the food away and see how it goes. Would it help to visualise it first?
    I think tomorrow, instead of walking in on a load of people at about 7pm, I'll walk in at 4pm (when no one's there), start making food, then say hi as people walk in :yep: That'll help better.

Visualising does work in theory, not always in practice :sad: That's the thing about university advice - you can read about it loads and loads, then things still not go to plan in real life. And I also worry that people will think I'm too scripted/know I've been reading lots of advice on how to make friends at university

ReputationRep:
    I think tomorrow, instead of walking in on a load of people at about 7pm, I'll walk in at 4pm (when no one's there), start making food, then say hi as people walk in :yep: That'll help better.

Visualising does work in theory, not always in practice :sad: That's the thing about university advice - you can read about it loads and loads, then things still not go to plan in real life. And I also worry that people will think I'm too scripted/know I've been reading lots of advice on how to make friends at university
    OK, whatever works for you... but don't keep putting it off Is that food in the fridge yet?

ReputationRep:
    OK, whatever works for you... but don't keep putting it off Is that food in the fridge yet?
    it's not yet :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starchild)
    :hugs: Welcome to the society where everyone is here for you. Please please dont give up. Can you talk to your parents or someone at uni because lots of students struggle? I went to see my counselling department and they helped a lot with me, but then again thats me.

Dont loose control, try and stay as calm as possible. I know its hard for me to say that, but do try your hardest. Can you listen to some relaxing music, I recommend Ludovico Einaudi (any song) or Howard Goodall's 'Enchanted Voices', both should be on youtube. I know Einaudi is, hes helped me through many tough times.

By the way, im Sitara. *waves*
    Aw thanks for the welcome. I've tried talking to my mum about it but I don't think she fully understands. I've actually made an appointment with the counsellor at Uni so hopefully I'll be able to let off some steam and feel a bit more my self. I'm getting better at eating. I managed to have three meals but I'm still not enjoying food as much as I usually do yet. I've always been a worrier though but now all my fears have accumulated into this gigantic monster. Its strange because a lot of the time I find my self thinking about life and that a lot of what I'm doing seems to be pointless, like I'm in a prison...hard to explain...:confused: . Thanks for the music recommendations, I also got a relaxation CD out from my Uni library so hopefully that will help too.
    OH and as for Take That! Yeah I LOVE them to death! Favourite song?...oh gosh too many to choose from, Rule The World is a classic hit though, one of their best! I do love Said It All, it's so beautiful!! I actually saw the guys in concert this year, Greatest Day of my life haha. Have you seen them live? It's strange though because no even my Take That poster can calm my nerves at the moment. I just need to get to grips with my new life and believe in myself more. I just hope that this doesn't effect my grades because pharmacy is no walk in the park even with the right frame of mind. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    :sad: Feel **** again tonight. I've been trying to watch what I eat recently and I'd been doing so well - Until this evening, I feel sick I'm so full of the chicken burger and chips that I wolfed down. I fail at everything I try to do :sad:

ReputationRep:
    hate being physically sick. :sick:
    hope everyone's ok.

ReputationRep:
    :sad: Feel **** again tonight. I've been trying to watch what I eat recently and I'd been doing so well - Until this evening, I feel sick I'm so full of the chicken burger and chips that I wolfed down. I fail at everything I try to do :sad:

Don't worry, we all ''relapse'' now and again. Just make up for it tomorrow ! xx :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Don't worry, we all ''relapse'' now and again. Just make up for it tomorrow ! xx :hugs:
    I don't want tomorrow, it means Thursday is coming up fast :cry: I hate this feeling; that time is just slipping through my fingers and I can't stop it or slow it down.

My patheticness aside, how are you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want tomorrow, it means Thursday is coming up fast :cry: I hate this feeling; that time is just slipping through my fingers and I can't stop it or slow it down.

My patheticness aside, how are you?
    I had one of those moments today, time is such a complex and cruel concept but at the same time we have to make use of it. One thing I need to learn to do, as many of us should do, is to live in the present and for the present. A lot of us live life in retrospect or live life looking to the future never taking in what is happening at the present, which is why probably time seems to fly by and we enjoy it less. Oh WHY am I not studying Philosophy at Uni..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Something particularly bad happening Thursday?
    I know how you feel though, I feel so sick/guilty after eating random things/junk, one after the other, but then I just feel like glasses of water will somehow ''cleanse'' me again:p: Maybe you could try that? I know it sounds daft but you never know

I'm OK. A bit sick, physically, which never helps. It's like you can't even be ill during your A levels as a couple of days off and you're asked why!! or asked if you're better, when blatently you're not

Teacher asked today why I weren't applying to uni this year too.

Meh. Oh well.
    I'm getting a phone call about counselling - apparently it's an hour long and they go through everything. I am not up for talking to my best mate atm let alone a stranger on the phone. My parents found out about everything last Thursday and have been babying me or tipping around on eggshells ever since. I wish I'd never gone to see the GP, I feel 100 times worse right now. I'm perfectly happy - nay, complacent - with how I am atm, I know I'm ****** in the head, I don't need someone to tell me that. Right now I'm contemplating ways to get out of it; don't pick the phone up, or land myself in hospital (preferably on something not mental health related :o:) so I'm not there to take the call and hope it all blows over.

Of course, the above I haven't rung them to confirm that I'll be avaliable on Thursday morning, and I presume they'll either re-arrange (aka stress me out again) or just drop me off the list.

And on Friday I have Study Skills, with a complete ***** of a teacher, I missed the first two weeks because I was hungover :o: and last Friday I was late because I really didn't want to go in and had to be forced to get into the car half an hour late, bearing in mind I'd spent the entire day before in tears for one reason or another I wasn't in the brightest of moods. I got in and she immediately attacked me for being late, and then went on to say that I obviously wasn't worth being on this course because I hadn't turned up the two weeks before. She wouldn't let me explain anything. And when I asked her about catching up the work she had another go at me and told me to get it off one of my classmates. We have a piece of homework due in for Friday morning and she refused to explain it to me so I've had to guess what it is from little pieces of information I've got from my classmates who don't have a clue what to do either. Oh, and she has a habit of reading the first two or three lines of an essay/piece of writing and declaring it **** and refusing to read anymore :sad:

I have no idea where my relationships are going atm, I get annoyed when talking to my best mate because she's out doing exciting things at uni and I get pissed off when I talk to the guy I like because he confuses the **** out of me and we flick between flirting and just being good mates (there are also other issues there but that's a H+R anon post!)...

*Curls up in the corner and cries*

Rachel, sorry I haven't said hi yet, I will when I'm over this slump (!) very astute words there

Mals, would it be worth applying this year and deffering?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    kiss_me_now9 I try lol.
    I say give the counselling a try and if you feel you don't like it/its making you feel worse than ditch it, sometimes talking about things can help even if only for a little while. How strange is that I have my first counselling session on Thursday too! I don't know what to expect from it to be honest. I'm not expecting to have all my problems sorted out...but it will just be nice to talk about things, I feel that because I'm still new to the Uni life and have made some good friends I don't want to mess that up and burden them with my problems, so my only real outlet will be these sessions...gosh I've got a lot on my mind. It's funny how things from the past can really come back to haunt you if you just brush them under the carpet. I think that is my main problem, I'm a "brush it under the carpet and hope it goes away" sort of person, its how I was brought up, my parents and I...we don't talk about things...
    *hug* I hope you find your session ok if you go through with it.

I agree with deffering, I wish I did that...

Malsy, you can still apply! Uni's aren't just about the grades, I know people who have gotten into courses with "bad" A level/GCSE grades, just stick at it, if they like you as a candidate they may lower the grade boundaries. They did for me.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, I'd much rather give counselling a go than drugs or anything, my mate (who was put straight on drugs after a suicide attempt :/) seems doubtful it's going to work and tbh so am I... I hate talking about things, making myself vunerable, crying in front of people. I hate feeling like this. But I'm not ready to change yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    I think you should tell the GP you don't want this call, rather than doing something stupid!
    Hopefully it might be helpful though to talk to someone completely anonymous and just have it all out and not be scared of them judging you as they don't know you, so don't give a ****?! maybe. :hugs:

That was really brave of you to walk in late! She doesn't sound very lenient at all, tbh Maybe you could ask to speak to her one day after classes or something and just explain your situation and tell her you're willing to always catch up on the work and you'd even take the work in advance and maybe do it in your own time.

:hugs:

No due to two reasons, the first being the lack of good GCSEs for what I want to do/where I want to go and secondly due to a complete lack of work experience. Literally zilch. Bahh.
    I haven't seen my GP since I first went about this. Don't want to go back but I know I'll have to eventually :/ I wish I didn't find it so hard to talk to people. I'd never actively do anything, at least not conciously.

Teacher is a complete cow tbh, she looked at my friends first essay (bearing in mind she hasn't written an essay in a year), got a red felt tip out and crossed everything in the first paragraph except the title out and told her to rewrite it. She's got an odd sense of humour as well. Treats everyone like a 5 year old... :rolleyes:

Well then a year out/a year to build your app up sounds very very sensible! Did you sort out what you PMed me about?

ReputationRep:
    I guess everyone is different, some people respond to drugs well whilst others prefer talking etc. Personally I wouldn't like to go on drugs either, I have an extremely addictive nature and if I'm convinced that something with I'm prove my state of mind or make life seem easier/make me happier then I will fall into the trap of addiction an dependancy.
    Talking will be difficult but it will be with a stranger which may make you feel at ease a little bit. You don't have to cry and if you feel you are going to start up then excuse your self. I hate crying in front of people too I hope I don't crack up on the first session.
    The way I see it is that it is an opportunity to break down those walls break through those barriers and insecurities etc so that you are able to rebuild your confidence and begin to tackle your problems head on. Think of it as a room with walls which have the paint peeling off. The old paint needs to be stripped off before the walls can be repainted. In the same way you need to get rid of your "old paint" before you can redecorate your life.

ReputationRep:
    kiss_me_now9, I hope your call goes ok on Thursday. Please don't do anything stupid to try and avoid it. If you really can't face it then tell your GP or don't answer the call but try to do it if you can because it might help. Yes it will be hard but it'll be worth it in the long run.

I'm really struggling at the moment. Don't want to burden everyone with it here but I've posted about it in H&R.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.