Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    in a word, yes. I think you should go to them and say you think you're suffering with ocd/depression/social anxiety or whatever and explain exactly why - in particular the recurring suicial thoughts. They have recognised you have a problem and counselling is often a first step to avoid unnecessary medication so they are taking you seriously. Imo they really should have contacted the counsellor for you though, it may be worth going back and asking them to do so.

I'm sorry that you felt so let down by your doctors, and that it didn't go as well as we'd all hoped. just don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andyuhoh)
    Cant believe your doctor said there's no hope. That's absurd, no wonder you feel terrible. If theres anything I can do Malsy. But that said I could either be great for you to talk to or terrible.... I am feeling the lowest I ever have done in my life. I feel so regretful right now. I want to go to uni now WHY NOW of all times when its too late. Im so angry inside with myself. I even had a place I got in august 2008 for september 2009 and I cancelled it because I didnt wanna go, now I do wanna go and its too damn late. I feel hopeless and ridiculous. An utter joke. *huff*, my mum cant stress enough how badly she wants me to go but in 'the right way' of going in September 2010 not February... What can i do ? Should I have another set of Crisis talks with the GP, Mother and Father, friends for advice, etc etc. I have my ups and downs and I still have a lot of motivation but I just feel completely helpless..... Malsy if you wanna talk with me I think we could help each other because from what ive read there is plenty of hope for you! I just hope somebody who's opinion I can take heart from sees plenty of hope for me also!

Oh Andy, know exactly how you feel You would just not believe how many regrets I have.
    The doctor didn't quite say there's no hope, but she gave that impression by telling me I have to come to term with things in other words your problems won't change you'll have to deal with them and that's the hardest thing knowing I'll have to be this way for the rest of my life

There is hope for you Andy, honest; and I'm a firm believer that most things happen for a reason, so take you not going to uni on the chin and view it as something positive- more time to prepare and go when it's right and better for you to go. You will get there. Be strong and wise about when to apply etc. :hugs:.

ReputationRep:
    It hurts so much :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    in a word, yes. I think you should go to them and say you think you're suffering with ocd/depression/social anxiety or whatever and explain exactly why - in particular the recurring suicial thoughts. They have recognised you have a problem and counselling is often a first step to avoid unnecessary medication so they are taking you seriously. Imo they really should have contacted the counsellor for you though, it may be worth going back and asking them to do so.

I'm sorry that you felt so let down by your doctors, and that it didn't go as well as we'd all hoped. just don't give up.

Thank you DD. It's just like I don't know - because I know my problems and stuff won't go it's like I almost don't care they're not doing much as I know there's not much they can do that I really want, but forget that, that's no excuse.

I am still waiting a call on my phone, but it's been 5 days now and I've got nothing, and so again, it looks like I'll be going back to the doctors for a third time to tell them nothing's come of the visits again.

It's just like, as I said, they don't see me as high risk due to not actually self harming, but as I said surely the OCD/depression symptoms etc. are bad enough for at least a bit more ?

It's like, I see other people and they probably, despite having problems, at least have a life, etc- and I don't, and surely the doctor should have seen me being a recluse as bad too? I don't know. We'll see. But next time I will say ''I think I have x y z'' however I am really really worried they'll disagree/see nothing wrong as they've done on these occasions, and it is not reassuring- and I am normally right about these things so I don't see the point in telling them if they won't do anything about it/take it seriously.

Maybe I'm fine, maybe they don't have to take it seriously as to them I'm fine, but I swear my symptoms, on occasions, are dire and I bet others out there have more help than me with less symptoms. meh. as i said this is only speculation.

anyway thanks hun. again please reply but don't quote it's just i'd like to edit bits out due to privacy problems. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    It hurts so much :cry:

I'm sorry, Bruce. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Oh Andy, know exactly how you feel You would just not believe how many regrets I have.
    The doctor didn't quite say there's no hope, but she gave that impression by telling me I have to come to term with things in other words your problems won't change you'll have to deal with them and that's the hardest thing knowing I'll have to be this way for the rest of my life

There is hope for you Andy, honest; and I'm a firm believer that most things happen for a reason, so take you not going to uni on the chin and view it as something positive- more time to prepare and go when it's right and better for you to go. You will get there. Be strong and wise about when to apply etc. :hugs:.
    This is pretty much what I try and tell myself everyday, it must be do-able and must be true because everybody is saying it to me. But i just cant snap my stupid scared self out of it. I think more than anything I have been extremely sheltered during my life, not well off or anything but just babied and scared to grow up on top of everything else. I am extremely hard on myself to do the best I can, so because of these mistakes I've taken it just terribly.. I hope we arent the way we feel now for the rest of our lives. That would be too much to handle for sure. Scary =(. I wanna do so much to help myself but because of things in my life I have my hand forced now. Ontop of the fact whatever I choose to do is going to be at least 3 and a half years worth of work from now... Thats just killer. Its ridiculous. I dont even enjoy the simple things in life now. Grrrrrrrrrrr *breathe*.

ReputationRep:

3 years it not as ridiculous as 5/6 years - for some people's courses like Medicine:p:

I know what you mean do; I can't even do the little things in life, never mind enjoy them. .
    I honestly feel like there's no hope for me, that I don't deserve to be a part of society etc. and I honestly don't think that's irrational considering things in my life. Anyway hope you're alright in the end; as I said be wise and I'm sure you'll get there. you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    Everything in my life seems to be falling apart. I feel like my degree is going so badly right now but can't even study because I just can't stop crying. My psychologist told me that she doesn't think she can do anything to help my social anxiety, I will need to be referred to someone else. It makes me feel like its my fault, like I've managed to fail at even being a patient. I'm so tired and my head aches all the time. I can't imagine things ever getting any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    Everything in my life seems to be falling apart. I feel like my degree is going so badly right now but can't even study because I just can't stop crying. My psychologist told me that she doesn't think she can do anything to help my social anxiety, I will need to be referred to someone else. It makes me feel like its my fault, like I've managed to fail at even being a patient. I'm so tired and my head aches all the time. I can't imagine things ever getting any better.
    So you can either quit the degree and maybe get happy or worse.., stay and maybe get happy or worse.. hmmm. Sleep on it, wake up and re-think what you may be feeling... Or you can talk to me . We can share situations and then see if we can help each other maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    3 years it not as ridiculous as 5/6 years - for some people's courses like Medicine:p:

I know what you mean do; I can't even do the little things in life, never mind enjoy them. .
    I honestly feel like there's no hope for me, that I don't deserve to be a part of society etc. and I honestly don't think that's irrational considering things in my life. Anyway hope you're alright in the end; as I said be wise and I'm sure you'll get there. you can do it!
    I am really really being hard on myself. Honestly I cant seem to shake what ive done wrong off. I cant talk to anybody about it over and over again till I see it as O.K. All I see is the missed chance and then I start either shaking or crying. Or both... Like nobody can help me and stuff. I don't know what I am best at doing..... I just don't know, I can't commit to anything either =( because I keep thinking if I get it wrong now I will be even worse...

ReputationRep:
    I am really really being hard on myself. Honestly I cant seem to shake what ive done wrong off. I cant talk to anybody about it over and over again till I see it as O.K. All I see is the missed chance and then I start either shaking or crying. Or both... Like nobody can help me and stuff. I don't know what I am best at doing..... I just don't know, I can't commit to anything either =( because I keep thinking if I get it wrong now I will be even worse...

I know how you feel, I'm exactly the same. If I allow myself to think about everything I'll cry and just shake, etc.
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    :cry:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan122)

:hugs: what's wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Had a crap day,thought I'd go out to cheer myself up,got racially abused in a club,came home alone.I ******* hate nottingham and I hate myself even more.

ReputationRep:
    :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1991)
    Had a crap day,thought I'd go out to cheer myself up,got racially abused in a club,came home alone.I ******* hate nottingham and I hate myself even more.

wth, i'm so sorry :hugs:. hope you're feeling better and if not im sorry youre feeling that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    I'm meant to be contacted by some counselling organisation but I've not been looking over my phone. I'm bad. I won't ever get help this way.
    Please - if you haven't already - give them a ring.

You may have interpreted what your doc said as "there is no hope" but I'm sorry hun, that's bull. (I'll admit here that I haven't read the entire last two pages of the thread comprehensively and so may have the wrong end of the stick, ignore if that's so). There are no quick fixes. We all have a long path ahead of us... Depression isn't something like the flu, you can't just take some tablets or hope it'll go away. There will be awful days, but there will be good days too. After all, you can't have one without the other! There's always some kind of hope.

We can not just change this by sitting down and wishing it away. We will all need some kind of assistance from someone else... And yes, we will all struggle with this for the rest of our lives. But. Struggling with something does not mean it'll beat us, and it doesn't mean that it will always affect us. I know it looks bleak now Mals but trust me, it will get better. It's a cliche but 'it's always darkest before dawn'. :hugs:

*Should really take her own advice* :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I've been really stupid in regards to stopping my meds and injections without telling anyone. :cry:
    Hugs, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    arghhhhhh
    hugs

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.