Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I know I should probably go to a doctor but I seem to be feeling very weird lately but maybe this is normal? I have had mood swings for over a month now but I have never, ever felt like this before - I have always been the most calm, chilled-out, relaxed person. Additionally, I have never, in my 21 years of life, shouted at my parents or at my brother for ANYTHING and yet this past month I have had several fights with them for very very stupid reasons. I do not have major problems in my life, in fact I have an excellent relationship with everyone in my family (this past month though - I'm not sure), I do not have to worry about money, I am, admittedly, not the most outgoing person but only cos I do not feel the need to party every day - I could very well do that but I won't enjoy it. I have lots of friends and good friends too.

Why in the world would I feel like that? I'm not sad over anything in particular. I am a little bit anxious about my studies and my romantic relationships but aren't most people? That kind of anxiety was very much under control. It didn't affect my personal life. I have kept it under control for a long time. But now? I snapped at my mother because she said that lately I have put on weight. And I knew she was right, I have been eating like a pig for no reason. I have also barely slept this past few days (this is new, dunno why I can't sleep either) which makes everything worse.

Nothing, nothing has changed in my life over the past month to justify this change in my personality. I am getting even more irritated when I think "Why do I feel like that?" or "Why did I react like that?". This is so not myself. I have to get out of this.

And it's not like I'm sad. It's not sadness, it's more like... feeling pathetic for no apparent reason. Hopeless? sick? (although I should feel sick since I have been eating non-stop). Like I don't have the power to control myself anymore. I mean, I used to be careful with what I eat and with my language (I seriously never said anything mean to anyone in my family until now). Now I can't do anything. What the hell is that? lazyness? I don't want to be rude to anyone and I definitely don't want to get fatter (I already am fat). Why the sudden change?

ReputationRep:
    Everything hurts so much :cry:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    Guys, I know I should probably go to a doctor but I seem to be feeling very weird lately but maybe this is normal? I have had mood swings for over a month now but I have never, ever felt like this before - I have always been the most calm, chilled-out, relaxed person. Additionally, I have never, in my 21 years of life, shouted at my parents or at my brother for ANYTHING and yet this past month I have had several fights with them for very very stupid reasons. I do not have major problems in my life, in fact I have an excellent relationship with everyone in my family (this past month though - I'm not sure), I do not have to worry about money, I am, admittedly, not the most outgoing person but only cos I do not feel the need to party every day - I could very well do that but I won't enjoy it. I have lots of friends and good friends too.

Why in the world would I feel like that? I'm not sad over anything in particular. I am a little bit anxious about my studies and my romantic relationships but aren't most people? That kind of anxiety was very much under control. It didn't affect my personal life. I have kept it under control for a long time. But now? I snapped at my mother because she said that lately I have put on weight. And I knew she was right, I have been eating like a pig for no reason. I have also barely slept this past few days (this is new, dunno why I can't sleep either) which makes everything worse.

Nothing, nothing has changed in my life over the past month to justify this change in my personality. I am getting even more irritated when I think "Why do I feel like that?" or "Why did I react like that?". This is so not myself. I have to get out of this.

And it's not like I'm sad. It's not sadness, it's more like... feeling pathetic for no apparent reason. Hopeless? sick? (although I should feel sick since I have been eating non-stop). Like I don't have the power to control myself anymore. I mean, I used to be careful with what I eat and with my language (I seriously never said anything mean to anyone in my family until now). Now I can't do anything. What the hell is that? lazyness? I don't want to be rude to anyone and I definitely don't want to get fatter (I already am fat). Why the sudden change?
    Thats something I'm also trying to work out. I've been all over the place this past year. Coming to the end of A levels I became very anti social, just miserable all the time and I didn't help that I isolated my self from happy people. After A Levels passed there was a period between them and results day where I was probably the happiest I had been in a long time. It was great, I just felt amazing. Since coming to Uni though something has changed. I've always been a worrier but its got to the point where I made my self ill over it, panic attacks, shaking in the night, sleepless nights, mood swings, wishing to be dead. Most of the time I don't even know what I'm scared about I just am. A lot of the time I'm on edge and its horrible because I'm pushing my family away and I hate doing that to them.

Have you tried seeing someone about it, a counsellor perhaps? Or your doctor? I haven't seen a doctor though I do plan to if things don't improve soonish. There are days where I feel great and then days where I just want to disappear. Never attempted suicide but do find my self thinking about dying and wanting to die from time to time...
    Mum thought it was just a phase, there was a time where I just couldn't eat anything ( I've had a history of problems with food) but now I'm back to the binging which isn't really good either. I know I feel best when I'm keeping busy otherwise I just think and think and think and the voices come back. I don't get it, things are going so well for me now but I'm just so :cry:. I've been through tough times and managed to keep in control so why do I feel like I'm loosing control now? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan122)
    :hugs: want to talk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan122)
    Whats wrong jonathan? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Sooo tired...unmotivated *sigh* it was so easy yesterday why is it so hard today?

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling, i have so much to do but really dont want to do it. i just dont see the point anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Sooo tired...unmotivated *sigh* it was so easy yesterday why is it so hard today?
    Same here too...3 essays, and I can't do anything.

I had such an awful night last night, I wish I could just sleep all the time and not have to wake up and face the days.

ReputationRep:
    does anybody know of any helplines i can call ?(prefferably free ones as i will need to use my mobile) geeling really down at the moment and think i need some help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxkaylsxx)
    does anybody know of any helplines i can call ?(prefferably free ones as i will need to use my mobile) geeling really down at the moment and think i need some help
    :hugs: sorry all I know is Samaritans but they aren't free which sucks. You can email them, they'll try to get back with you within 12 hours it says on the website.

Saber, any success with contacting your tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Same here too...3 essays, and I can't do anything.

I had such an awful night last night, I wish I could just sleep all the time and not have to wake up and face the days.
    That sounds so good right now.:o:
    Have you tried breaking down your essasys into sections? That's what I'm trying to do.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds so good right now.:o:
    Have you tried breaking down your essasys into sections? That's what I'm trying to do.
    I'm having real trouble reading anything right now, tsr is about as intellectual as I can manage and only because I'm skipping posts over a couple of lines long. :o: Everytime I sit down to start reading for essay voices get a hell of a lot worse and I end up doing stupid things.

I did get an email back from my tutor thanks for asking, she said I don't actually need the head of department to approve deadline extensions as it's non-assessed so I've emailled the relevent people just need them to ok it now. I'm still so worried they'll say no even with the doctor's note etc.

Do you have the number for your local crisis team? They're not free but if you ask they'd probably ring you back.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the number for your local crisis team? They're not free but if you ask they'd probably ring you back.
    No i dont unfortunatly, do you know where i can get it from?

ReputationRep:
    No i dont unfortunatly, do you know where i can get it from?
    I just looked online and can't find it...maybe you have to be told it. Possibly you could call your GP surgery and ask for it? Otherwise I don't know sorry. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Kayls, you could try emailling Samaritans, I don't think they'd call you back but I'm always getting told to email them apparently they can be quite good.

ReputationRep:
    I just looked online and can't find it...maybe you have to be told it. Possibly you could call your GP surgery and ask for it? Otherwise I don't know sorry. :hugs:
    Thankyou for trying :hugs:
    I would rather not contact my GP really, i havent yet been to see them about how im feeling, not built up enough confidence to go and do that yet

ReputationRep:
    Just thought, im not quite 18 yet so could i talk to childline? dont know if that is just abuse though...

ReputationRep:
    Just thought, im not quite 18 yet so could i talk to childline? dont know if that is just abuse though...
    No you can call them its fine. I called them recently actually when I'd just turned 18. It doesn't just have to be about abuse ( ironically my mum works with them and NSPCC). Give it a go it might help.

I know what you mean about not having the courage to see the doctor, neither do I actually, kinda scared that it will make things official, I'm going to see how I feel at the end of term, give it time.

Sabertooth, I'm sure that with a doctors note they'll extend the deadline. They should to anyway. Hope it goes well for you.

Feeling guilty, just blew my friends off , they wanted to go out but I just don't feel up to it, feels like all my energy is being sucked out of me, time seems to go by really slowly but really quickly at the same time...if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Thats something I'm also trying to work out. I've been all over the place this past year. Coming to the end of A levels I became very anti social, just miserable all the time and I didn't help that I isolated my self from happy people. After A Levels passed there was a period between them and results day where I was probably the happiest I had been in a long time. It was great, I just felt amazing. Since coming to Uni though something has changed. I've always been a worrier but its got to the point where I made my self ill over it, panic attacks, shaking in the night, sleepless nights, mood swings, wishing to be dead. Most of the time I don't even know what I'm scared about I just am. A lot of the time I'm on edge and its horrible because I'm pushing my family away and I hate doing that to them.

Have you tried seeing someone about it, a counsellor perhaps? Or your doctor? I haven't seen a doctor though I do plan to if things don't improve soonish. There are days where I feel great and then days where I just want to disappear. Never attempted suicide but do find my self thinking about dying and wanting to die from time to time...
    Mum thought it was just a phase, there was a time where I just couldn't eat anything ( I've had a history of problems with food) but now I'm back to the binging which isn't really good either. I know I feel best when I'm keeping busy otherwise I just think and think and think and the voices come back. I don't get it, things are going so well for me now but I'm just so :cry:. I've been through tough times and managed to keep in control so why do I feel like I'm loosing control now? :eek3:
    Yes, I will be seeing my GP on monday. If anything, he will give me something to help me sleep & relax. 4 days, 5 hours of sleep - total. I can't take this. At least, I used to be able to read, think and write. Now, I can't do any of these things properly.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.