Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I have a community psychiatric nurse who I can call when I feel **** or just someone to talk to but often I can't use the phone as they won't let me so she's not that great.

How are you getting on?
    Your uni should be able to provide you with a mentor, someone you can talk to once or twice a week for an hour or so over coffee etc. It's covered by the DSA. It might be worth checking out.

I'm ok, coping I guess.

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan122)
    Your uni should be able to provide you with a mentor, someone you can talk to once or twice a week for an hour or so over coffee etc. It's covered by the DSA. It might be worth checking out.

I'm ok, coping I guess.

Yeah I think they mentioned that in the needs assessment. Erm...don't really know what's happening about it, I'll have to ask thanks for the reminder.

Good to hear you're ok. If you do feel like talking about anything I'd do my best to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone today? :hugs: Sabertooth I hope things are going well for you in terms of your assignment, I still lack motivation but I'm slowly making progress on it, I'm just taking it one day at a time. Its tough, I have exams too to worry about and I have less than a month....:cry:

Well I did it. I faced my fear and went home. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I felt a lot more comfortable than I did last time. Mum seems to be happier with how I am. I had a few panic attacks but managed to regain control soon enough which I'm really proud of my self for doing. I guess the attacks will still pop up from time to time but at least I'm learning to control them now which is a good thing I guess.
    I've been feeling a lot better this week, haven't really had many low moments, excluding last night. I've come to realise that I'm PETRIFIED of commitment though. It scares me to death being with someone. Guys just freak me out. I don't mind the flirting or whatever but when things get serious like going on dates etc, I just freak out about it. I don't know what it is but it literally makes me feel sick thinking about it. I guess thats something I'm going to have to work out and work on. Everyone seems to feel sorry for me that I don't have a boyfriend, like its some kind of disease but to be honest its not because no one wants me its because I dont want anyone. We'll maybe one day I will but at the moment I'd rather be alone, I have a great bunch of friends and am getting back on track with my family and am restoring my relationship with God, I don't need a relationship to complicate things.

As for the food fear, I'm getting there. I'm eating a lot more which is great! But I do get times where I'm like AHHH FOOD :cry: but I soon over come that too. Next step is to try eating out with friends or round someone elses....scary. Apparently I think I'm a lot bigger than I am my flat mate told me yesterday. I dunno...I guess so but what I see...isn't what she sees. I'm getting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    How is everyone today? :hugs: Sabertooth I hope things are going well for you in terms of your assignment, I still lack motivation but I'm slowly making progress on it, I'm just taking it one day at a time. Its tough, I have exams too to worry about and I have less than a month....:cry:

Well I did it. I faced my fear and went home. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I felt a lot more comfortable than I did last time. Mum seems to be happier with how I am. I had a few panic attacks but managed to regain control soon enough which I'm really proud of my self for doing. I guess the attacks will still pop up from time to time but at least I'm learning to control them now which is a good thing I guess.
    I've been feeling a lot better this week, haven't really had many low moments, excluding last night. I've come to realise that I'm PETRIFIED of commitment though. It scares me to death being with someone. Guys just freak me out. I don't mind the flirting or whatever but when things get serious like going on dates etc, I just freak out about it. I don't know what it is but it literally makes me feel sick thinking about it. I guess thats something I'm going to have to work out and work on. Everyone seems to feel sorry for me that I don't have a boyfriend, like its some kind of disease but to be honest its not because no one wants me its because I dont want anyone. We'll maybe one day I will but at the moment I'd rather be alone, I have a great bunch of friends and am getting back on track with my family and am restoring my relationship with God, I don't need a relationship to complicate things.

As for the food fear, I'm getting there. I'm eating a lot more which is great! But I do get times where I'm like AHHH FOOD :cry: but I soon over come that too. Next step is to try eating out with friends or round someone elses....scary. Apparently I think I'm a lot bigger than I am my flat mate told me yesterday. I dunno...I guess so but what I see...isn't what she sees. I'm getting there.
    Thanks. It's not going at all well though, I think I'm going to have to ask for another extension. :o:

Good to hear you were able to go home, do you think it was a good idea in the end?

I think you've got the right attitude re: boyfriends. In my [limited] experience having a bf when you're not doing so great yourself really isn't the best idea. It means you have someone to feel guilty to and to let down which can make you feel worse. Just my experience though. You said you have good friends which is great.

Know what you mean about what you see isn't what everyone else sees. It's tough when people are all telling you things which is totally different to what you think. But depression does that to people.

:hugs: I'm glad to hear stuff is going ok for you.

ReputationRep:
    :cry: I'm sorry to post again. you're all probably sick of me but I have to get it out I want to cut so badly if I don't people will die but I have nothing to cut with my cpn took everything today. I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    :cry: I'm sorry to post again. you're all probably sick of me but I have to get it out I want to cut so badly if I don't people will die but I have nothing to cut with my cpn took everything today. I don't know what to do.
    *hugs* not sick of you at all.

If it's what you really need to do then could you get your hands on anything? smash a glass or something? I know I probably should be telling you not to do it, but I realise that at times it's all that saves you. Have you thought about emailing the Samaritans? you said it helped before...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    *hugs* not sick of you at all.

If it's what you really need to do then could you get your hands on anything? smash a glass or something? I know I probably should be telling you not to do it, but I realise that at times it's all that saves you. Have you thought about emailing the Samaritans? you said it helped before...
    I will email the samaritans again. thx.

If i cut I can't let anyone know as they were threatening me with hospital today and it's really scary.

ReputationRep:
    I will email the samaritans again. thx.

If i cut I can't let anyone know as they were threatening me with hospital today and it's really scary.
    do you have a number for a support team or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    do you have a number for a support team or anything?
    I have the crisis team number but they are definitely a last resort.

ReputationRep:
    How busy is it in here? Am seeing doctor tomorrow about possibly going back on my antidepressants, saw her a few weeks ago and had to fill in this silly questionnaire about my mood- basically i've been feeling down again since september, not sleeping, had loads of colds..and..it's gotten worse these past 2 weeks. I've been feeling really suicidal, written out notes, considered how to do it, really awful things that i'd snap out of..but its something i know i now need help for

It's been suggested I have SAD, i do get down this time of year, i was depressed last year and came off antidepressants in may and if im honest i felt dab between may-september, and its all come back agin so i'm going to save up for one of those light things aswell, i have nothing at the end of the day to BE depressed about. I'm doing well at uni, I have friends..yeah im a bit lonely, but when you're down you just naturally withdraw yourself, and my diet has gone to pot, im sleeping loads

So yeah, can I join? Am dreading doctors appointment tomorrow, i hate seeing my GP about something as pathetic as depression

ReputationRep:
    :bawling: I have absolutely had enough!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    :bawling: I have absolutely had enough!:mad:
    :jumphug: What's up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foamyfruit)
    How busy is it in here? Am seeing doctor tomorrow about possibly going back on my antidepressants, saw her a few weeks ago and had to fill in this silly questionnaire about my mood- basically i've been feeling down again since september, not sleeping, had loads of colds..and..it's gotten worse these past 2 weeks. I've been feeling really suicidal, written out notes, considered how to do it, really awful things that i'd snap out of..but its something i know i now need help for

It's been suggested I have SAD, i do get down this time of year, i was depressed last year and came off antidepressants in may and if im honest i felt dab between may-september, and its all come back agin so i'm going to save up for one of those light things aswell, i have nothing at the end of the day to BE depressed about. I'm doing well at uni, I have friends..yeah im a bit lonely, but when you're down you just naturally withdraw yourself, and my diet has gone to pot, im sleeping loads

So yeah, can I join? Am dreading doctors appointment tomorrow, i hate seeing my GP about something as pathetic as depression
    Of course you can join!
    And depression is a serious medical issue, 1/3 of all doctors appointments are about it; so don't be too worried about seeing one :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    :s :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    :s :/
    Sup Malsy?

ReputationRep:
    Sup Malsy?

oh just family things and work-related things as well as the ever-persisting problems that are a given.
    how do we carry on like this? i just don't get it. meh. i've only just made up with my mum(after she kicked me out and various other things) but i'm still not back at home and the longer i'm away the longer i don't want to go back to my cold old brother-living-in room
    meh
    also at school i did poorly on a mock exam and so not pleased and worried all my grades are going to drop this year and it's not at all impossible that they will drop it's really likely, in fact

so yeah meh. trying but things are just not progressing at a good enough rate. i wish things'd pick up but i'm worried. i'm also self-teaching and that's not going well and i'm inevitable to drop a grade or two considering this year the requirements are harder so i don't know what to do

how're you?
    (when/if you quote can you delete the things said in this post except maybe the first line)
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Missed my doctors appointment, tried to get some sleep and slept through

I realllly dont want to call up and wait for another one now grr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    oh ...xx
    Well the thing about your mum sounds kind of **** and I can't really think of a way round the brother thing but regarding school self-teaching is probably really hard so good on you for trying. Depression totally destroys people's ability to work so don't be so hard on yourself over a mock exam you've still got time to improve before proper exams. Just don't give up, give it your best shot and see what you can manage - I know it's not fair some of us have such a massive hindrance when it comes to school/uni work. Have you informed your school how you're feeling? Often schools will do their best to help you as much as they can.

(Original post by foamyfruit)
    Missed my doctors appointment, tried to get some sleep and slept through

I realllly dont want to call up and wait for another one now grr
    Even though I don't believe this re: myself, stuff can get better but often you need help to do it. If you have depression then it's really not worth trying to soldier on through it because things can get even worse. And often the earlier you get help, the quicker stuff will pick up for you.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    xx

Just to back up what saber said, yes, there is a chance that, due to being ill, you won't achieve the grades you would normally get, which is why it's really important that your school and the examiners are kept informed about your health throughout the year, so that they can make the necessary adjustments when it comes to exam time.

Take care. xx

ReputationRep:
    was feeling ok, now I've crashed. Looking for something to cut with again. They're telling me to go to tesco and buy more razors but I can't i would be in such deep ****

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.