Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Thanks for the encouragement but believe me I've pretty much already failed. Can't do the work now nor in the foreseeable future. I might as well just give up completely.
    Saber, from talking to you, it is pretty much clear that you could quite easily do the absolute minimum for the rest of the year and still pass. It is possible, due to your circumstances, that you will not achieve as highly as you deserve, but I'm afraid I'm not convinced that dropping out would make things any better. Do you have a job lined up that you could go into? Do you have anywhere to live except your Mum's couch? I honestly think that you would be better off just sticking the next few years out, gaining some degree, and trying to move on from there.

Just my thoughts, and I will support you in whatever you choose. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan122)
    Saber, from talking to you, it is pretty much clear that you could quite easily do the absolute minimum for the rest of the year and still pass. It is possible, due to your circumstances, that you will not achieve as highly as you deserve, but I'm afraid I'm not convinced that dropping out would make things any better. Do you have a job lined up that you could go into? Do you have anywhere to live except your Mum's couch? I honestly think that you would be better off just sticking the next few years out, gaining some degree, and trying to move on from there.

Just my thoughts, and I will support you in whatever you choose. :hugs:
    Hi Jonathan. I'm feeling a little better this morning and yeah I think you have quite a good point. I have no where to live and no job lined up, I'd probably just end up feeling even more depressed with nothing in my life to aim for. I think I'm not going to give up but whether they kick me out for not getting my ass in gear is another matter entirely. Thanks.

I hope you're ok. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    i think mental illness should be recognised as a dehabilitating condition. A lot of people just think you are lazy if you are depressed. That is the impression I get at uni, but quite the contrary...i get very stressed when i have to study so i don't do it. Is that lazy?

ReputationRep:
    i'm on risperol xanex and ciperol...is this alot of medication.? I still feel crappy today.

ReputationRep:
    oh and zimovane sleeping tablets.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jonathan. I'm feeling a little better this morning and yeah I think you have quite a good point. I have no where to live and no job lined up, I'd probably just end up feeling even more depressed with nothing in my life to aim for. I think I'm not going to give up but whether they kick me out for not getting my ass in gear is another matter entirely. Thanks.

I hope you're ok. :hugs:
    Sabertooth you have the right idea there. Never give up no matter how tough things get, at least if you show your uni that you are serious enough about completing your degree then they will think twice about kicking you out, but I'm sure it wont come to that. Depression is such a hard thing to understand unless you are going through it yourself, thats what sucks so much about this thing. If only people could understand...
    Best thing you can do is take things one step at a time, try and to a little bit of something each day and make a record of what you have done and you will feel better about it, like you are getting somewhere. Break things down and then you will gradually reach the top of that mountain. :hugs:. THanks for the advice by the way. I've spoken to mum about it, am going to see the doctor when I go back home for the holidays. Think I could do with some CBT, I've realised I have a LOT of problems which I didn't manage to address in the counselling sessions, issues with the past coming back to bite me, self image and obviously the anxiety. Like everyone esle I want to beat this thing, I don't want it to become my life, all the things I want to do, things I want to enjoy...I don't want to continue counting down the years till I eventially die. ( Don't have the balls to kill myself and my religious beliefs forbid it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    no matter how many times i tell myself there are worse people off out there, suffering more, come on get a grip otherwise things'll never change i still manage to sit and sob and self-pity. whyyy
    I know, I try to think of people in less economically developed countries suffering from depression ect. and not having the same facilities and resources as we do. I think as self pitying as it may seem, when we are going through tough times, our problems seems to become bigger than they are and other peoples problems don't even cross our minds.
    Instead of trying to focus on those who have it worse off try and think about what you are thankful for, it can be little things, tiny things. This morning I woke up to the sun and blue sky was so thankful for that and tthat it wasn't rain instead and I was also thankful that I was able to see the sun. Starting the day positively, no matter how crappy you feel can make a difference. Because I'm a bit of a hippy I tend to look at nature as a way of seeing the positive. Like yesterday I was just gazing at the moon ( ironic that the moon is a symbol of lunacy haha) and I felt so much better. :hugs: Give it a try.

At bansheeee * sorry you don't feel to great at the moment. If you ever feel like venting then there is no better place than here. :hugs:

I'm feeling better today, I think I was incredibly stressed and exhausted from trying to meet my coursework deadline, it all got to me and then I had the attacks. Talking to mum helped me a bit and I'm getting back on track with dad too which is ace. I really want my family and friends behind me right now. Like I was saying to malsy, relapses may happen from time to time and I guess Wednesday and Thursday were my times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pludovick)
    Decided I really need to get some help before I do something I regret. I keep thinking it's getting better, but every time I dare to think it's on the way up it comes back worse than before. Not really sure where to go for help, as I still haven't told anyone. I'm 17 at the moment- if I went to the doctor's for help, would they tell my parents? :s
    You're making the right decission seeking help before things get worse. I don't think they can tell your parents...patient-doctor confidentiality?
    I hope things work out for you, have you tried talking to someone about it? See what your doctor recommends. Good luck and remember that there are many people around to help and support you, don't feel you have to do it alone.

ReputationRep:
    I need more reasons to leave the house, other than just doctor's/chemist's/supermarket. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cypriots)
    fml.
    Sup?

(Original post by superwolf)
    I need more reasons to leave the house, other than just doctor's/chemist's/supermarket. Any ideas?
    Have you thought about perhaps joining some kind of club? Sports/martial arts/drama/etc

Sorry that's all I can think up, I know it's a bit of a **** idea but if you're not in education and not feeling great there really isn't that much to do ime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Even just going out for walks, not having any particular destination, just let your feet make the decissions. Explore a part of town you have never been to before or get on a bus/train you've never been on before. That said, I think I might take some of my own advice and do a bit of that.

ReputationRep:
    webbers hjust gone fout for his birthday withotu me. I said I ddnt'wa tn to go but its only bw=ecase i didnt hear back from joe and i dididn't ewant to end up on my own all night and this sucks. I watnt webber to hae sex with omeon else so I can break up with him I know deep down we're not right for eadch tother, that I soul be on my own. I started raeding this book and its supsoed to help me but it's juust rubbish. writen like 10 years ago by some therpiast.

i feel rubbish i wilsh there was simeone ele who dundersoof.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelOranges)
    Even just going out for walks, not having any particular destination, just let your feet make the decissions. Explore a part of town you have never been to before or get on a bus/train you've never been on before. That said, I think I might take some of my own advice and do a bit of that.
    Yeah, I used to do that but most of the time I just can't face leaving the house any more. Think I've just run out of energy completely.

ReputationRep:
    Sup?
    Life's a boring place atm

ReputationRep:
    i did some work today for the first time in a week. But i've got so much more to do.

How was all of your days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    i did some work today for the first time in a week. But i've got so much more to do.

How was all of your days?
    Good for you!

I don't think I've done any work in coming up to three weeks Tried today, just ended up crying.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you!

I don't think I've done any work in coming up to three weeks Tried today, just ended up crying.
    awww, sorry to hear that mate . You should have gone for a walk or something . That's what I do. They way i look at it is this way:

If i stay and home and don't do work i've wasted a day at home. If I know i'm not going to do any work i'd have gone rock climbing, or for a walk or to a museum or climbed a tree or something that I would enjoy doing.

I know it's probably easier said than done but give that a go next time. I find it cheers me up. . That way you don't feel like you've totally wasted your day and don't feel that you're totally wasting your life because you are doing something at least (as opposed to crying at home)

ReputationRep:
    I realised today that I have to live here in this hellhole for another nine months :cry:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.