Turn on thread page Beta

trapped in the house by an insane cat watch

anon or delete please

My family got a cat out of an add in the paper yesterday, and he is crazy, she's bigger than a terrier dog. She was fine for the first hour then she went for my head when i was watching the telivision, she looked like she wanted to kill me , i ran into the kitchen and she tried to dive onto my head after me, then she started chewing through the door in the sitting room so my mother opened the door and she charged out and stood on the stairs and started growling ,then i ran past the stairs and she jumped at my head with her claws out i ran and she after me spitting ,then my dad tried to catch her to put her in the cage but she stood on her back two legs and tore his arm, it was pumping bleeding so we had to let him go, we have a kitten, and when he saw the kitten on the chair he dived on him and we had to kick him away from him, the owner said 'not to let him out of the house or near any other cats or dogs ever ' but he wouldn't say why so we thought he was just afraid of them, my dad cornered him and threw a blanket over his head but he put his claws through the blanket and nearly cut his finger off...so he had to let him go, we had to leave him downstairs last night he was growling all night and when we got up he had all the matts in the sitting room torn to shreds ,we can't walk past him cos he dives for our heads with his claws out, he's just rasing around the house...the people don;t want him back and won't answer the phone..i know if we ring someone to catch him they';re gonna put him to sleep,i dont want that..

Call the RSPCA and ask them to take the cat. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    Haha Jesus. I came across like that once. I walked down the street and this cutesy kitty cat came out to say hello...next thing I know it's running up the length of my body and clawing my head to screds.

What were the last owners like to her? or has she had many owners? Maybe something has done something to her as a kitten? Maybe you could ask the RSPCA or a vet and see if there is anyway to calm her down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    anon or delete please
    the owner said 'not to let him out of the house or near any other cats or dogs ever '
    but you said you have a kitten? and did this not concern you at all....?? lol

ReputationRep:
    A swift hard kick will put him in his place :yep:

ReputationRep:
    About the kitten you should realy keep those two seperated. You would think she would be caring to a little kitten....

ReputationRep:
    They're gonna be calling you crazy cat person soon...

ReputationRep:
    Kick it really hard.

Or call the RSPCA and ask for them to remove it.

ReputationRep:
    Keep your kitten in a little carrier case thing for now, in a separate room, (because i imagine keeping this cat in a cage would be hell!) and keep this one in one room, with lots of scratching stuff and food water litter etc, thennn ring the RSPCA, and they might be able to take her in
    These people are trained, and they will be able to look after her
    My cat was from the RSPCA, and she had an abusive life at first (shes just under a year) her previous owners had a child who didn't look after her right and thought she was a toy.
    Where I went to get her, there were all sorts of cats, but these people can look after them, because there could be an underlying problem
    Loool i sound like a cat psychologist, but seriously, this cat could have been abused in the past or something, and that;s why she is the way she is...
    So yeah, like the others have said, keep both of them apart, and call the RSPCA

ReputationRep:
    The solution is simple. Stop dropping acid

ReputationRep:
    I am shocked at some of those replies, I have a cat which was also a rescue cat and she behaved the same as the one you describe.

She will settle down given time, she needs to feel she is in a familiar place as she will feel upset at the upheaval. Also you won't know how many times she has been moved before or how she has been treated.

New cats should be confined to a room or two of the house, too much territory is scary for them. She is trying to establish herself so that's why she is chasing you. When my cat did that I used to be firm ( no!)with her and walk away, I would then leave her alone. When she feels the house is her territory she will settle down although she may just be a fiesty lady and will always a bit snippy.

My cat loves her cuddles now but I don't 100% trust her as she is still fiesty but that's quite rare an occassion.

Hope this helps you

Es

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like it has rabies or something. But then after all it's only a cat. Can't you plan to ambush it, or corner it or something and then trap it in a laundry basket? Then drive to where the people who sold you the cat live and leave it outside their house and refuse to answer any of their calls when you come back.

ReputationRep:
    When we got our wild cat we got her to the vets for a check up and she went WILD in the vets as you describe. She tore the vet's arm badly and leapt around the room uncontrollably, she finally sought refuge in her cat carrier and we got her home. She got a warning put on her medical record for future vets and she is not allowed to go to the vets without a special appointment. She has got a cat ASBO

When we did go back to the vets she was 'managed' so the vet could examine her and she was in perfect health, she just was so worked up overall.

As I said before, you would not think it was the same cat, she is so settled into her new life here and makes a lovely pet (most of the time!)
    I feel sorry for your cat but you have the kitten to consider so you'd be best getting some advise from the RSPCA or vets.

ReputationRep:
    set a troll on him

Either kill it, or drug it with catnip.

Actually, screw the catnip, that would exacerbate the situation.

ReputationRep:
    maybe it's a tiger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pick)
    I am shocked at some of those replies, I have a cat which was also a rescue cat and she behaved the same as the one you describe.

She will settle down given time, she needs to feel she is in a familiar place as she will feel upset at the upheaval. Also you won't know how many times she has been moved before or how she has been treated.

New cats should be confined to a room or two of the house, too much territory is scary for them. She is trying to establish herself so that's why she is chasing you. When my cat did that I used to be firm ( no!)with her and walk away, I would then leave her alone. When she feels the house is her territory she will settle down although she may just be a fiesty lady and will always a bit snippy.

My cat loves her cuddles now but I don't 100% trust her as she is still fiesty but that's quite rare an occassion.

Hope this helps you

Es
    Yes keeping her in one room is best. Forgot to say that. My brother brought me a sray out of the blue and I already had a timid cat so kept the new one in one room for a couple of days untill the nervous one got better.

OP you probably think she is a lost cause, but time and efford should make all the difference! You need to be patient....especialy with the felines :yes:

ReputationRep:
    make sure you tell it off when its done something wrong....i know this is again all the positive reuinforcement techniques of animal training, but it doesn't seem like there's much good behaviour to reward for!

the first cat we got from cats protection was crazy, it ran at my sister who was sitting in a chair and clawed at her legs, giving her loads of scratches and she started crying. it seemed to hav an obsession of attacking whoever sat in the chair...! we took her back to cats protection and now have two lovely cats who are pretty much little angels in comparison! (from the same cats protection place)

EDIT: on second thoughts the "telling off/negative vibes" from you may just freak it out even more and it will get confused. Get a pair of thick gloves and an old coat of something and shut it in a room where there is next to nothing of things to destroy (and no food otherwise it will b naughty on purpose for the food) and let it out after its been in there for about 30 mins..then if it misbehaves...put it back in the room again for another 30 mins. it might learn that it wont get fed if it keeps acting crazy. there might be some drugs the vet can prescribe that will calm it down.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: I'm sure it can be trained to calm down but I have no idea how to do that. If you did call the RSPCA they maybe able to help you with that rather than taking it away altogether. If the cat is acting like that it is because it is scared!

ReputationRep:
    kk.... i used to be afraid of cats too because they look so evil... so here is what u do... u go down stairs and face the cat... it will run towards u... u then kick it really ******* hard. if it was too fast for u and u didnt kick it quickly then make sure u have a stick or something in ur hand... and THEN BAM!!! beat the **** out of it and make it know it's place

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.