Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student from Australia starting my course this October at Trinity College. Since I got my offer last December, I've been planning for this trip for quite some time and have been working like crazy trying to save up enough money. I'm coming over with my mum and owing to jobs, school timetables etc. we decided to book tickets early so applications for annual leave could be lodge etc. Despite so much forward planning, I have landed in a scheduling conflict as my flight leaves on the same day as Freshers week starts. I've contacted the college and all I received was an email saying I'd be missing some very important meetings and I would have a very difficult time functioning without the information I would be missing.
    Although I really don't want to start making any judgments, I can't help but feel a bit annoyed by the lack of information the college sends out international students. I'm guessing more information gets sent out when A-level results come out, but how can someone possibly organise moving to a completely different country in the space of a month? The email I got from the academic administrator sounded more annoyed than helpful and now I feel in a bit of a mess.:eek3:
    I was wondering if there was anybody who could tell me exactly what happens during the first couple of days of Freshers week and how severely not attending the first two days will disadvantage me? Ideally I wouldn't be missing the beginning of uni at all but changing the dates of the plane tickets are an expense I can't afford to pay unless I have a little more information.

ReputationRep:
    What day will you actually be arriving then? The most important thing you could miss will be the meetings with your tutors, as they will likely set you some kind of work that they will expect you to complete over the course of the week. Things like registering with a doctor are also kind of important, but you could do that at a later date (albeit it would be more of an inconvenience to you). Stuff like library tours and inductions will likely just tell you stuff that you can pick up yourself a bit later on, but it is kind of annoying to miss them if you can possibly help it.

As for academic administrators, I'm guessing they kind of expect you to email them and ask when you need to be in residence. They're probably pretty busy trying to sort everything out for A level results day at the moment, so if they were a bit short with you that might be worth bearing in mind.

Maybe the best thing to do is to email your subject tutor and explain the situation? If you're going to miss subject meetings then you might want to seriously consider changing the flights.

ReputationRep:
    The first few days of college will include things like fire regulations, signing up with the college doctor, getting your Bod (university) card... All important stuff, but probably not hugely detrimental if you miss it since it could be done at another time (it'll just be a pain in the ass!) Of course there's also the aspect of not getting to meet people, but you won't miss the freshers fair (i.e. where you sign up for clubs and stuff) and I'm sure you can make up for lost time with making friends.

When are you going to arrive then?

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for a fast reply! I'm arriving at about 6 am on the 7th and freshers week starts on the 6th. How long does moving into rooms take?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by neo5000)
    Wow thanks for a fast reply! I'm arriving at about 6 am on the 7th and freshers week starts on the 6th. How long does moving into rooms take?
    Depends on how remote your room is, much stuff you have and how tired you are after your flight. It's basically just a matter of signing in at the lodge, being handed your key and carrying up your bags, though. Unpacking could take another one or two hours, but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what date we are supposed to move in on please? I'm trying to book a driving test and can't find any info on the uni or college website. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo5000)
    I'm an international student from Australia starting my course this October at Trinity College. Since I got my offer last December, I've been planning for this trip for quite some time and have been working like crazy trying to save up enough money. I'm coming over with my mum and owing to jobs, school timetables etc. we decided to book tickets early so applications for annual leave could be lodge etc. Despite so much forward planning, I have landed in a scheduling conflict as my flight leaves on the same day as Freshers week starts. I've contacted the college and all I received was an email saying I'd be missing some very important meetings and I would have a very difficult time functioning without the information I would be missing.
    Although I really don't want to start making any judgments, I can't help but feel a bit annoyed by the lack of information the college sends out international students. I'm guessing more information gets sent out when A-level results come out, but how can someone possibly organise moving to a completely different country in the space of a month? The email I got from the academic administrator sounded more annoyed than helpful and now I feel in a bit of a mess.:eek3:
    I was wondering if there was anybody who could tell me exactly what happens during the first couple of days of Freshers week and how severely not attending the first two days will disadvantage me? Ideally I wouldn't be missing the beginning of uni at all but changing the dates of the plane tickets are an expense I can't afford to pay unless I have a little more information.
    Missing the first day of Fresher's Week will be an annoyance, as Bekaboo said, but nothing worse. I can't exactly remember what happens on the first day, but I'm sure you won't be given or told anything which you can't find or learn for yourself later. You should be sent a schedule of events in Fresher's Week nearer the time.

Also, you've made a fine choice of college.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! That makes me feel a little better..I think I'll send out a couple more emails to some college staff...stresssssssss

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about contacting the college about it, even if they do sound stressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireHogben)
    Can anyone tell me what date we are supposed to move in on please? I'm trying to book a driving test and can't find any info on the uni or college website. Thanks
    And you want to book it before you leave home or you're planning on taking it in Oxford?! :eek: If you put University Oxford Term Dates into Google :rolleyes: then the first link will tell you that full term starts on October 12th. So 0th week (aka freshers week) begins on October 5th. Not all colleges will let you come up on Sunday of 0th though so you may be a few days afterwards. Basically, if you're at home then don't book anything later than the 4th, and if you're crazy enough to want to take your test in a new city then you don't want to book it in freshers week anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    And you want to book it before you leave home or you're planning on taking it in Oxford?! :eek: If you put University Oxford Term Dates into Google :rolleyes: then the first link will tell you that full term starts on October 12th. So 0th week (aka freshers week) begins on October 5th. Not all colleges will let you come up on Sunday of 0th though so you may be a few days afterwards. Basically, if you're at home then don't book anything later than the 4th, and if you're crazy enough to want to take your test in a new city then you don't want to book it in freshers week anyway :p:
    no, no I'm doing it at home :p:
    The earliest date I can get is 23rd sept, but my instructor is on holiday from 20th-30th, so that only leaves the first few days of october before I leave!
    You think its unlikely that I'll be moving in before the 4th?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's certain. Term definitely starts on the 12th, and most colleges get arsy about even long distance people arriving before the start of 0th week.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.