Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the males: is it ever possible to be friends with a girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a little pissed off at the moment.

Whenever I make a new friend with a male they somehow become attracted to me. It goes weird and then I get the hell out of there. Just recently 3 friendships have gone because of this. I am a friendly person and keep thinking it's me leading them on or something! But I'm just friendly and talk thats it!

I have a boyfriend, who knows I'm a bit of a tom boy and get on with males better. He said men are after one thing. But I like to see the good in people. Surely men and women can be just friends right?? I keep thinking I should just ignore all males and become a stuck up biatch.

So, can you males me friends with a girl whether or not you fancy her? or does the fancying bit get in the way for you?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. If they find you attractive at all. And if you at all attractive, they will find you attractive.

If you really click with someone, have a laugh with them, and comfortable around them, are attracted to them... well, how the hell could you not fancy them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I'm getting a little pissed off at the moment.

Whenever I make a new friend with a male they somehow become attracted to me. It goes weird and then I get the hell out of there. Just recently 3 friendships have gone because of this. I am a friendly person and keep thinking it's me leading them on or something! But I'm just friendly and talk thats it!

I have a boyfriend, who knows I'm a bit of a tom boy and get on with males better. He said men are after one thing. But I like to see the good in people. Surely men and women can be just friends right?? I keep thinking I should just ignore all males and become a stuck up biatch.

So, can you males me friends with a girl whether or not you fancy her? or does the fancying bit get in the way for you?
    Any male can be friends with any female. Heck, I'd say about half of my friendships are with females. You just became unlucky I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but he's wrong. Not all men are after just one thing (sex, apparently). It's perfectly fine for you to be friends with a male. I'm friends with a load of girls and their fellas also and they're some of my best friends.

So just tell him nothing's gonna happen. He's YOUR boyfriend and you're not gonna run off with one of your male friends. He may just be a little cautious/jealous (He's a man, so what do you expect?).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, very possible. Now obviously if they don't know you have a boyfriend then if you get along really well they may think that they have a shot and want to become more than just friends but I'd never try that if I knew she had a boyfriend.

I have much more guy friends than female friends but I still have a few and I'm not hoping I get with any of them or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Any male can be friends with any female. Heck, I'd say about half of my friendships are with females. You just became unlucky I'm afraid!
    Haha oh yes unlucky!! It doesn't matter whether or not that I have a boyfriend to them either.

ReputationRep:
    My friend distribution is 50:50 male:female approximately, so yes, of course it is. We don't think "OO, WOMAN, MUST MATE" with every female form we see or talk to.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends is a guy and me and my girls are always giving him advice on girls and all he talks about us is sex for some reason...

And my group of friends consist of girls and guys and although some are couples, most are not and are just friends even thouh they are all beautiful people.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.laddertheory.com/

ReputationRep:
    All of my friends are males =)
    It takes so much hassle out of life, and *****yness and 'you stole my boyfriend'..well...in some cases lol...
    But there are always some that will be attracted to you, I know that mine are, but you just go with it, becuase you know they will be there to bring you up when you feel sad, just let them know nothing would hapen between you, right from the start, even they should know that if you have a boyfriend, But to be honest, boys do make friends with girls they find attractive, and spending so much time with one person does bring you closer, and i guess, they just fall for you, veen if you dont like them...
    It just happens, Im sure you are your boyfriend were friends beofr eyou started going out, its just the same thing really, only they dont have the chance...

I thought you might want afemale persepctive on that situation =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Sorry but he's wrong. Not all men are after just one thing (sex, apparently). It's perfectly fine for you to be friends with a male. I'm friends with a load of girls and their fellas also and they're some of my best friends.

So just tell him nothing's gonna happen. He's YOUR boyfriend and you're not gonna run off with one of your male friends. He may just be a little cautious/jealous (He's a man, so what do you expect?).
    He's probably just known a lot of the wrong uns maybe. I refuse to believe it though. He knows I wont run off with anyone else. I just moan at him when another friendship has gone to hell. I talk about it with him so there's no secrets. The boyfriend isn't really the big issue though, he's fine with it.

Wish I could be best friends with a dude haha we could go paintballing...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Uh huh. I've always got on better with girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nelie)
    All of my friends are males =)
    It takes so much hassle out of life, and *****yness and 'you stole my boyfriend'..well...in some cases lol...
    But there are always some that will be attracted to you, I know that mine are, but you just go with it, becuase you know they will be there to bring you up when you feel sad, just let them know nothing would hapen between you, right from the start, even they should know that if you have a boyfriend, But to be honest, boys do make friends with girls they find attractive, and spending so much time with one person does bring you closer, and i guess, they just fall for you, veen if you dont like them...
    It just happens, Im sure you are your boyfriend were friends beofr eyou started going out, its just the same thing really, only they dont have the chance...

I thought you might want afemale persepctive on that situation =)
    All of them are males? wow! haha! so it CAN be done then. I think the problem with me is that I seem to attract the ones who are shy and don't have girlfriends. I'm just being friendly cos I know what it's like to be alone and have no one to talk to. I tell them I have a boyfriend and sometimes mention him in convos just to reitterate that fact but it doesn't work. At the moment it's mainly men from work cos Im not at uni at the mo. Even the ones with flaming girlfriends do the same thing.

God your lucky haha I can't stand *****yness either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Uh huh. I've always got on better with girls.
    In fairness, you're not likely to ask them out :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    My friend distribution is 50:50 male:female approximately, so yes, of course it is. We don't think "OO, WOMAN, MUST MATE" with every female form we see or talk to.
    Haha maybe it's the type I'm going for. They tend to be single, shy and don't have many friends....oo-er.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Haha maybe it's the type I'm going for. They tend to be single, shy and don't have many friends....oo-er.
    So they are the type who aren't used to having girl-friends (English is stupid) so they think that all female attention is romantic?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like you're trying to be friends with the wrong type of male; if you really want male friends then try talking to types of chaps who you might not normally talk to! But thats always a drawback with having male friendships - men do think about sex, its just a given!

ReputationRep:
    guys with girls for 'friends' are most probably gay.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my friends (generally speaking) are female and to be quite honest there are many I have liked but there are many I would never consider looking at in that light.

All those who say men are just apparently after sex well you're all wrong.

Some of us do like to save it for *the one*... and yes some of us still dream of finding *the one* rather than bedding any girl whose pants we think we might be able to find our ways into...

Confused? Nah I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    So they are the type who aren't used to having girl-friends (English is stupid) so they think that all female attention is romantic?
    Hmm I'm thinking so....it's just clicked. I thought I was being a good person by making friends with them :o:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.