Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the males: is it ever possible to be friends with a girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever seen When Harry Met Sally?

From the limited experiences I have of coming into contact with females (myself being a male) I can tell you this. It is in the nature of males to think of the opposite sex as a potential partner if the being is single and not in a relationship post--puberty.
    You will be wasting your own time and his time trying to keep him a happy 'friend' while at the same time convincing him that he is no more than a friend to you. Simply put, if you are a girl and you are not in a relationship, don't befriend or aquaint single males expecting friendship and no more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    sounds like you're trying to be friends with the wrong type of male; if you really want male friends then try talking to types of chaps who you might not normally talk to! But thats always a drawback with having male friendships - men do think about sex, its just a given!
    I'm a little shy myself so talking to others is gonna be tricky haha but I shall give it a go! Maybe I should try talking to the doctors there (work at a hospital) they almosy always ignore me! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Hmm I'm thinking so....it's just clicked. I thought I was being a good person by making friends with them :o:
    Sounds like they're not mature enough to have female friends? Maybe just make it perfectly clear to them that you're not interested in anything more?

ReputationRep:
    yeah if they fancy you then its hard to be friends, but if they dont then you can
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ashy)
    In fairness, you're not likely to ask them out :tongue:
    Well, ok, but I mean, it is possible for a guy to find a girl's personality agreeable and not just want sex. I realise I probably wouldn't want sex from them anyway. :p: I think I'm basically saying that male and female generic personalities aren't somehow incompatible.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ashy)
    girl-friends (English is stupid)
    Oh, come on. "Female friends". :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    From the limited experiences I have of coming into contact with females (myself being a male) I can tell you this. It is in the nature of males to think of the opposite sex as a potential partner if the being is single and not in a relationship post--puberty.
    You will be wasting your own time and his time trying to keep him a happy 'friend' while at the same time convincing him that he is no more than a friend to you. Simply put, if you are a girl and you are not in a relationship, don't befriend or aquaint single males expecting friendship and no more.
    According to some on here it can be done. But I should maybe try to avoid the shy types and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    http://www.laddertheory.com/
    I seriously recommend everyone reads this. It's cynical and sexist but it provides pretty damn good advice for both guys and girls.

EDIT: And OP, it's only human nature for guys to develop an attraction to you. There is honestly nothing you can do about it, and you may take more comfort in befriending guys who are already attached, gay, or quite simply aren't in a position to make a move on you. It happens to all of us :hugs:!

ReputationRep:
    yes i have a good female friend, although i have to admit iam attracted to her. its just that i would try anything as i wouldn't want to ruin the relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Well, ok, but I mean, it is possible for a guy to find a girl's personality agreeable and not just want sex. I realise I probably wouldn't want sex from them anyway. :p: I think I'm basically saying that male and female generic personalities aren't somehow incompatible.
    Fair enough, I just couldn't help myself :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Oh, come on. "Female friends". :p:
    Eurgh, that just sounds like your friend is a monkey. "Female" doesn't sound right in reference to a woman. Sounds more like biological field notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Sounds like they're not mature enough to have female friends? Maybe just make it perfectly clear to them that you're not interested in anything more?
    yeah, do that discreetly by mentioning your boyfriend to them from time to time

I have a fair few female friends I can only call friends. We know each other too well to get into a relationship, if that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    Your just finding the creeps haha :L sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    yeah, do that discreetly by mentioning your boyfriend to them from time to time
    Haha oh I do that already....need to find the courage to actualy say to them that I am not attracted to them and nothing will ever happen between us. Don't want to hurt their feelings though

ReputationRep:
    If you're generally attractive then you can't blame them really. Perhaps try and make yourself uglier? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    http://www.laddertheory.com/
    Haha awesome website!

ReputationRep:
    mehh, i wd say i have a ratio of about 1:4, male to female friends ratio, so i guess its pretty easy, put probably u lead them on. or u do some stuff that make them fancy you, and u can always use the line, "but i love our friendship, and i never wanna lose that for any other relationship" or "But i see you more as a best mate than a Bf/Gf", mehh works everytime :top:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's fine - I'm better as a friend to girls than to boys cos I just seem to get on better with girls in general so I have lots of friends who are girls....and nothing more than friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.