Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

For the males: is it ever possible to be friends with a girl? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    It discusses your question. :p:

(And being a romcom it has an inevitable answer)
    Well I am a DVD whore, so I shall buy it pronto! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    yeh some combination of the two... a sextrovert? Oh wait, im not sure that's going to work :p:
    HAHA not in this situation I don't think haha there must be some word for it though!

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of my friends are girls and I find many of them attractive, because, well, I'm male, but that doesn't mean I fancy them or I'm going to make a move on them. Yes I'm straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaPeep)
    I know that this is meant to be a thread for guys, but i'm female, have plenty of male friends. The problem is as a rule I would say that yes women and men can be friends but there is going to be possibilities of more. I'm average looking yet, quite a few of my male friends have liked me (they have told me this) it has never affected my friendship with them yet they have always thought it could be more. My current boyfriend and myself were friends before getting together and in the past I have liked some of my male friends.
    Some of my friendships havn't really been affected by it, just a couple of them. Maybe if I was more clear with them about it they wouldn't have ended, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    HAHA not in this situation I don't think haha there must be some word for it though!
    I may google it later :yep: So what do the guys actually do? Do they confess undying love for you or something?

ReputationRep:
    A ha! Good line. It was sound much nicer than, "I do not find you attractive"

The only thing, in my mind, that leads them on is my friendlyness and trying to make them laugh. That's it. But I'm like that with everyone!
    lol yea, ask ur girls mate if u flirt with the boys, and if they said yes, try and easy off that abit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    I may google it later :yep: So what do the guys actually do? Do they confess undying love for you or something?
    A couple have, in a long elaborate PM form, (they would never say it to my face). Others "forget" I'm single and ask me out and I have to go through the torture of saying No, I have a boyfriend and blah blah blah. Others get pervy with me asking pervy questions and stuff which makes me uncomfortable to say the least.

These people KNOW I am shy myself. I think they are seeing how much they can get away with to be honest

ReputationRep:
    A couple have, in a long elaborate PM form, (they would never say it to my face). Others "forget" I'm single and ask me out and I have to go through the torture of saying No, I have a boyfriend and blah blah blah. Others get pervy with me asking pervy questions and stuff which makes me uncomfortable to say the least.

These people KNOW I am shy myself. I think they are seeing how much they can get away with to be honest
    PM :facepalm: Forgot :no: Pervy :lolwut:

I actually LOL'D the first time I read that. I'm not sure where you find these guys but you need to avoid them!

ReputationRep:
    I am just friends with loads of guys... in fact that seems to be all I am capable of...

ReputationRep:
    Certainly possible; seldom desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    I am just friends with loads of guys... in fact that seems to be all I am capable of...
    They probably want to bone you.

I'm in a similar position to you except I'm male and the girls I've been friends with have often expressed a bit more than platonic intention.

Despite that, I think they can. After all, you can get boy-girl best friends which are meant to be the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Certainly possible; seldom desirable.
    This is probably the first time i have ever agreed with you.

ReputationRep:
    i think u should become ugly then ur male frens wont be attracted to u! e.g. be fat, throw acid on ur face; scar your face...be creative girl! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    They probably want to bone you.
    Hahaha

I think not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes if she's unattractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    Hahaha

I think not.
    Girls are so naive..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    Girls are so naive..
    -.- I am not bone-worthy

ReputationRep:
    Don't be pissed off at least it's the other way around, how much worse would that be? Better to be liked and not return it then be rejected yourself.

In answer to your question; I think it is possible. Some people just don't fancy each other, period.

ReputationRep:
    Majority of my mates are male, and that doesn't really happy cos they know the boundaries, and we just get along as mates...

Maybe, like you said, its cos they're shy and haven't had relationships before, aren't really sure of the line between friend/girlfriend...I dunno. I guess you just have to make it obvious from the start?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.