Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the males: is it ever possible to be friends with a girl? Watch

If i tell you that there are two animals of opposite and sex and never mated in life, Would you beleve me? Hell no! i dont think male and female can be best frends, they can only be friends like just for hi and bye

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i have many female friends that are just friends...
    That being said, I tend to be close to my friends, and always put them before myself, so some may get the idea that I'm interested in being more than just friends.
    On the flipside, for me relationships are about personality, and the fact that I tend to be close with, and get on well with, my friends... usually reflects that they have an admirable personality, so developing things as more than just friends could be a possibilty; although often avoided as I wouldn't want to ruin the great friendship I have with these people if anything went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to maintain in the friend-zone unless one chooses to become friends with horny fellas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If i tell you that there are two animals of opposite and sex and never mated in life, Would you beleve me? Hell no! i dont think male and female can be best frends, they can only be friends like just for hi and bye

Thats not true....it is possible to have a completely platonic relationship with someone of the opposite sex..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)

Thats not true....it is possible to have a completely platonic relationship with someone of the opposite sex..
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    -.- I am not bone-worthy
    Oh yes you are Emily :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    PM :facepalm: Forgot :no: Pervy :lolwut:

I actually LOL'D the first time I read that. I'm not sure where you find these guys but you need to avoid them!
    HAAHA...it's a great laugh, not. :p:

I don't either, I'm just a magnet

Good question OP

Anwer: No! males never can "just be friends" with females. He either fancies her or wants to do **** her for fun/out of boredom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Certainly possible; seldom desirable.
    I find it a shame really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position to you except I'm male and the girls I've been friends with have often expressed a bit more than platonic intention.

Despite that, I think they can. After all, you can get boy-girl best friends which are meant to be the best.
    Haha oo an opposite perspective. How does that work out then? If you say no to them do they go weird with you?

I would LOVE that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetTea)
    Don't be pissed off at least it's the other way around, how much worse would that be? Better to be liked and not return it then be rejected yourself.

In answer to your question; I think it is possible. Some people just don't fancy each other, period.
    Yes I know, it's better than being hated and I am flattered but I just don't want the hassle. I should be able to just say I have a boyfriend and I am not interested just ONCE. Then hopefully continue the friendship.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not male, but I'll still answer: Yes, it is. Males can have a platonic relationship with females without feeling sexually attracted to them.

(Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Haha oo an opposite perspective. How does that work out then? If you say no to them do they go weird with you?

I would LOVE that.
    It was more me being weirded out for a short while than anything else. After a few weeks though, everything returned to normal.

A friend of mine told me she "loved me" and since then she hasn't spoken to me much. I couldn't tell her I felt the same because it had gotten to that point where I could only see her as a friend. I never gave her an answer because I was too much of a coward. She wishes me happy birthday and things but doesn't really get in touch like the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    I'm not male, but I'll still answer: Yes, it is. Males can have a platonic relationship with females without feeling sexually attracted to them.
    A lot of people here have got that, so it must be true haha I just need to find some now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    A lot of people here have got that, so it must be true haha I just need to find some now
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It was more me being weirded out for a short while than anything else. After a few weeks though, everything returned to normal.

A friend of mine told me she "loved me" and since then she hasn't spoken to me much. I couldn't tell her I felt the same because it had gotten to that point where I could only see her as a friend. I never gave her an answer because I was too much of a coward. She wishes me happy birthday and things but doesn't really get in touch like the others.
    Yeah I've been weirded out because I have been so sure they they only like me as a friend then BOOM the gigantic PM comes through haha

Do you still like that girl? If you don't have much contact now then maybe you COULD like her more than just a friend :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    Good luck
    Thank you! It's now my mission

ReputationRep:
    i used ot have a male best friend for many years
    so yeah it is possible
    ummmmmm and if you want to make sure they dont fall for you
    just start talking bout guys to them and ask themm for advice etc =)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can be, but your case you sound too friendly = can be seen as a **** tease.

ReputationRep:
    yes and no

ive had female friends who ive just always seen as friends. JUST friends.

other times there are girls who ive liked and been friends with but still theres that attraction. most of girls i know are aware of the attraction i have towards them but we're still friends. which doesnt really bother me as much because after a while you just accept being their good friend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.