Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the males: is it ever possible to be friends with a girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah of course. That is until I've shagged them :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    Yes, you can be, but your case you sound too friendly = can be seen as a **** tease.
    Whenever I try to be less friendly I feel *****y, I can't get it right :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it helps if they're unattractive.

Harsh yet true

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Though to be honest I've never had any close female friends. I'm come off as to too cold and cynical apparently

ReputationRep:
    Finding a girl attractive is normal and natural and has be expected to some degree. Girl/boy friendships are often harder to form than same sex friendships but once they are they can be harder to break as they have different desires and wont clash.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yes it is, i have many "female friends"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    Finding a girl attractive is normal and natural and has be expected to some degree. Girl/boy friendships are often harder to form than same sex friendships but once they are they can be harder to break as they have different desires and wont clash.
    this also.

ReputationRep:
    if ur gay! hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Thats not to say i dont want to have sex with them, or that i wouldnt, but i love female company and i recognise that i couldnt possibly be having sex with all the suitably attractive, availiable females in my life, therefore some are just friends. My closest uni friend is a gay girl who i was initially very attracted to, and still am to a certain extent, but theres no way i'd put our friendship on the line to test her sexuality, and theres no way she'd be confident enough to tell me if she had feelings for me, so its pretty much never going to happen, which is absolutely fine by me

so in conclusion. . .yes, but some guys dont have enough girls in their lives and will grasp for any remote possibility, risking friendships and making girls feel like crap in the process

ReputationRep:
    Of course guys can be just friends with girls, ugly girls that is.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, of course its possible, with girls I don't want to ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Most of my friends (generally speaking) are female and to be quite honest there are many I have liked but there are many I would never consider looking at in that light.

All those who say men are just apparently after sex well you're all wrong.

Some of us do like to save it for *the one*... and yes some of us still dream of finding *the one* rather than bedding any girl whose pants we think we might be able to find our ways into...

Confused? Nah I hope not.
    Likewise, most of my friends are female too. Well said Lukely!

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting thread, I kind of know what you mean OP, on the last day/night of 6th form I had 3 of my male friends at various points of the evening drunkenly announce they wanted to bed me..I just laughed them off.. But that said, I'm very sure I have male friends that really are just friends.

ReputationRep:
    I have quite a few male friends but I'm pretty sure that if I gave them the chance they would have sex with me. I'm not being arrogant or anything, I'm just very in tune with people and their motives. Most of the friendships started because there was some sort of attraction in the first place but for one reason or another a relationship wasn't right. I've had a drunken kiss with most of them at some point and sex with one of them (but both of us understood that it was just sex so no feelings involved).

From my pov, I've fancied pretty much all of them at some point, but I'm very good at hiding my feelings and not letting them get in the way and I don't see them as often as I see my girl mates so it's never been a major issue.

In the past I would have said that it's possible, but to be friends with someone you have to have some form of attraction to them, either personality wise or looks wise, so with opposite sex friendships the boundaries can be crossed and confused quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    I've been "just friends" with girls before, but only really when I don't find them attractive. Or perhaps when I did at first but then it died out, and I just enjoy their company. There's always something slightly exciting about being around girls, even if you're not hoping to **** them. I'd say generally I prefer female company, but I'm not sure why.

(Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Do you still like that girl? If you don't have much contact now then maybe you COULD like her more than just a friend :yes:
    I'd be lying if I said I did, or even could, like her more than a friend. There's a girl I can't stop thinking about and that's keeping me single for now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.