ReputationRep:
    I feel bad asking this question, but I'm generally a paranoid person. I want to use TSR PS Helpers but I'm scared that they might pass my ideas onto other TSR users or pass my ideas onto their friends in real life.

Anyone feel this way? I want to use them, but I'm very worried.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'd do that. Even if they did the odds on it being picked up by a university your applying to are pretty low.
    If your so concerned don't use them and do it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The PS helpers on here have seen a LOT of personal statements. Chances are your ideas have been done before.

Use them, it's what they're there for.

ReputationRep:
    Your concerns are understandable but I've never seen anything like you've said happen. Remember, all PS Helpers are vetted - we're all at university (or graduates) and have no need for your statements. Up to you ultimately though, there is a risk I guess, but it's minimal. There are so many PS's the chance that yours would be abused is remote!

ReputationRep:
    About as much chance as your teachers passing your idea's on, we are all at university and it is not our interest to pass the ideas on. We are there primarily to review and offer feedback on your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo.)
    I feel bad asking this question, but I'm generally a paranoid person. I want to use TSR PS Helpers but I'm scared that they might pass my ideas onto other TSR users or pass my ideas onto their friends in real life.

Anyone feel this way? I want to use them, but I'm very worried.
    Yeah, as EVS said, we're all at uni so wouldn't have any need for them. Also, as PS helpers if our friends did need assistance we would most likely usually use our own successful statements and subsequent experience to help them as opposed to someone elses

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is 100% secure on the internet, but we take all the precautions we can and for sure it is a lot safer than posting it elsewhere on the internet. As has been said, speaking personally if I wanted to help my friends with a PS I would review it for them, I don't need to give them other people's ideas.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a stupid question but is it ok to use to PS helpers? Its not plagurism or anything?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by StabiloBoss)
    This is probably a stupid question but is it ok to use to PS helpers? Its not plagurism or anything?
    The PS helpers don't write your statement for you. We work with what you've given us to polish it up and make some suggestions as to how you can improve what you already have. If we've re-worded something in a way which is more favourable and which you want to keep then you're allowed to do so. As long as your statement is written by you, taking on board our suggestions and comments is not plaigiarism.

ReputationRep:
    call me paranoid but i'm worried about the same thing. I suspect someone may be selling them off lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SnowAngel)
    call me paranoid but i'm worried about the same thing. I suspect someone may be selling them off lol
    The PS help forum is both secure and private. Most of those who post their personal statements do so because they need help; some of the statements we see (the majority), and without offending anybody, are awful and most of them need a complete redraft. As all PS helpers are already university students who've got to where they are now on their own merits there really would be no benefit in us stealing a personal statement which, in all fairness, needs considerable improvement anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StabiloBoss)
    UCAS fully expects you to seek help from family, friends and even online resources such as PS Help. They have given their support to PS Help in the past. What they do insist is that you write it yourself, and don't simply copy from others. As Mr_Deeds says, the philosophy of Personal Statement Help is to critique what you have - show you the good bits and the bad bits and tell you what you could do to improve it. We don't do it for you though, its down to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.