Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok, so my housemate has left some washing up 3 months ago, and I refuse to do it on principle. They've also consistently used up huge amounts of toilet roll and other peoples washing powder without replacing it. Also, their stuff is in their old room (switched over the summer) whilst their new room is full of their girlfriend's stuff... basically, the other housemate is having to sleep in an otherwise vacant room for the time being.

More importantly though, they still owe over £140 in bills/utilities which everyone else has paid and won't contribute to the household cleaning/repair products to ensure we keep our deposit. They claim the bill money was lost in an 'administrative error' but are avoiding giving details for us to chase it up.

Lastly, they've threatened to break one of my housemates faces and have smashed up a kitchen cupboard door and a mirror in their time here. It's not making for a good atmosphere!

We've been sharing for about 6 months now... we've tried talking in person (but usually get brushed off) and by email (where he gets aggressive and accuses me of pettiness).

Basically, is there anything I can do?

Oh, forgot to add that he's started running a business from the house (against the tenancy agreement) and also broke the agreement by subletting his room for a week (without informing us in advance) when he went on holiday!

ReputationRep:
    I take it your name is on the utility bills alone? If any of their names are on them call the company and get them to send separate bills. If not, you could speak to the uni and ask them if they can write letters addressed to their home address or their parents. That option worked on one of my ex housemates who owed me money. If he's broken the tenancy agreement you should speak to the landlord.

ReputationRep:
    Beat the **** out of him.

ReputationRep:
    oh god i hate problem housemates like that. im not sure if there is anything you can do to be honest. legally anyway.
    he sounds like a stereotypical pain in the ass uni-housemate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, so my housemate has left some washing up 3 months ago, and I refuse to do it on principle. They've also consistently used up huge amounts of toilet roll and other peoples washing powder without replacing it. Also, their stuff is in their old room (switched over the summer) whilst their new room is full of their girlfriend's stuff... basically, the other housemate is having to sleep in an otherwise vacant room for the time being.

More importantly though, they still owe over £140 in bills/utilities which everyone else has paid and won't contribute to the household cleaning/repair products to ensure we keep our deposit. They claim the bill money was lost in an 'administrative error' but are avoiding giving details for us to chase it up.

Lastly, they've threatened to break one of my housemates faces and have smashed up a kitchen cupboard door and a mirror in their time here. It's not making for a good atmosphere!

We've been sharing for about 6 months now... we've tried talking in person (but usually get brushed off) and by email (where he gets aggressive and accuses me of pettiness).

Basically, is there anything I can do?
    *shifty eyes emoticon they havn't made yet*

I know a guy... who can make problems dissapear, just let me know.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Chop his **** off and stuff it in his mouth.

ReputationRep:
    i hate people like him. headbutt his girlfriend.

i jest.

falcon punch her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.