Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at this programme please.

A few questions I have on it.

Will this give a true all over body workout? I want to work on loads of muscle groups, one of which is the abs area - do deadlifts sort that area out sufficiently enough or should I incorporate some ab workouts?

In workout B there is the 'press'. Does this mean Barbell Military Press? If not, what does it mean, cause it's not the bench press is it?

That's all really. Oh the sessions, is 100kg a good starting point or should I aim for something more personalised to me? Basically, how do you workout your 'working weight'?

ReputationRep:
    1. It should do yes
    2. Squats are also good for your abs, just see how it goes.
    3. Yes
    4. No, the spreadsheet is in pounds anyway so don't try increase by 10/5kg per workout, increase by 5/2.5kg. No idea what your strength is at the moment however I'd start around the 40kg mark and see how strong you are.

ReputationRep:
    Ye I just noticed the lbs/kg thing - I'll have to sort that.

Weight aside, I found these two guys doing the routine on YouTube although they alter some workouts. Which one should I be following?

Guy 1

A: B:

Guy 2

A: B:

Difference is mainly in workout B - the last routine. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Ye I just noticed the lbs/kg thing - I'll have to sort that.

Weight aside, I found these two guys doing the routine on YouTube although they alter some workouts. Which one should I be following?
    Difference is mainly in workout B - the last routine. Thanks
    Gawd how many times must this be said to people. If they alter some workouts then they aren't doing starting strength. Rip has even said this himself, loads of times. This is very simple, don't mess it up.

The answer to which routine should you do: You should do Starting Strength (SS), not random guy on youtube's program. They are 2 different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Gawd how many times must this be said to people. If they alter some workouts then they aren't doing starting strength. Rip has even said this himself, loads of times. This is very simple, don't mess it up.

The answer to which routine should you do: You should do Starting Strength (SS), not random guy on youtube's program. They are 2 different things.
    When I meant change, I meant convert from lbs to kg cause the weights I'll be using only are numbered in kg.

Those two guys are doing the starting strength programme, except for the last exercise one is doing a power clean and the other is doing a bent row. I was simply asking which would be best.

ReputationRep:
    Right ok well I'm sure I read somewhere the alternative to PCs being Bent over rows and weighted chins. Just pick, up to you. I would do the second because I cba to learn PCs but thats just me.

ReputationRep:
    Power cleans are fun and kick your ass in a different way to rows. I'm just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Power cleans are fun and kick your ass in a different way to rows. I'm just saying.
    I was gonna attempt those. Do they take much practise to get right? They look kind of technical.

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna attempt those. Do they take much practise to get right? They look kind of technical.
    Not really.

ReputationRep:
    Power cleans develop power to not just strength thats why they're good. They're a little tricky but i like them :yes:

Why dont you look at the wiki article... it tells you all the exercises??

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

If you look around its got videos and heres an article if you want a six pack its a must read.

http://www.lonkilgore.com/usawrdc/Ab..._Intensity.pdf

ReputationRep:
    It took me a couple of weeks for it to start clicking properly. The first week I probably did about 150 reps overall. Mostly with just the bar and mostly hanging (not from the floor). It started getting easier when I got about 30-40kg. The bar was too light to get the right feel, for me. You need to be reasonably coordinated.

READ STARTING STRENGTH and WATCH LOTS OF VIDS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.