Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok...so Im not a TOTAL n00b and know that optical zzom is important whilst MP isnt the be all and end all....so I was wondering...what do you think about this camera. If you don't like it plz suggest another!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...726612&sr=8-27
    THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    It's a camera that covers all the bases without being anything spectacular. If you like it and have shopped around, go for it - but bear in mind for the same price (~£184) you can get a very good and highly rated Canon Powershot SX110 (Canon is generally regarded as the best compact digital camera brand) or for an extra £10 a Panasonic Lumix TZ6 (I have one of these, and I simply can't fault it). Both have larger optical zooms than the Olympus and have MP values that will produce pictures of very similar quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exeteroredinburgh)
    Ok...so Im not a TOTAL n00b and know that optical zzom is important whilst MP isnt the be all and end all....so I was wondering...what do you think about this camera. If you don't like it plz suggest another!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...726612&sr=8-27
    THANKS!
    hey! .....yeh thats a good camera with some decent specifications however i personally would go for one of the following for particular reasons....:

1st: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Cyber-s...728384&sr=1-16
    this one is cheaper and has a higher MP .....however you are getting a slightly lower zoom at 5X optical.....but its a sony and from personal experience i find them more reliable than olympus and have 2 myself...

2nd:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lu...sr=1-1slightly more expensive (about 8 pounds i think)....but superb quality (good MP AT 10.1) ..and comes with 12X optical zoom! ...but moreover its a panasonic and like sony they are at the tip top of electrical gear nowadays especially for reliability.....

i say this but your camera is also very good for the price it offers too! ....hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    It's a camera that covers all the bases without being anything spectacular. If you like it and have shopped around, go for it - but bear in mind for the same price (~£184) you can get a very good and highly rated Canon Powershot SX110 (Canon is generally regarded as the best compact digital camera brand) or for an extra £10 a Panasonic Lumix TZ6 (I have one of these, and I simply can't fault it). Both have larger optical zooms than the Olympus and have MP values that will produce pictures of very similar quality.
    Thank-you so so so so much! Im gonna go with your Panasonic one.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Quick question...does it take batteries or is it rechargable? And can you take videos with sound??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exeteroredinburgh)
    Quick question...does it take batteries or is it rechargable? And can you take videos with sound??
    It has a rechargeable battery pack, and yes you can take videos with sound (don't expect camcorder quality, but it's pretty decent nonetheless. You can also use the optical zoom in video mode, which is very useful).

ReputationRep:
    It has a rechargeable battery pack, and yes you can take videos with sound (don't expect camcorder quality, but it's pretty decent nonetheless. You can also use the optical zoom in video mode, which is very useful).
    BrilliantTTT!!! You've made me a very happy gapper!!! My pics of the Amazon are gonna be much improved!:yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.