Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my course work I have got to discuss the role of a Quantity Surveyor (QS)..

Am I right in saying - During interim payments it is a QS' role to...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's right.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are right I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Yes, you are right I think!
    well that's no help :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's grammar (and I'm a pedant :angelblush:), but that's the traditionally correct way of skinning the chicken, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    Lol, fair enough :p:

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with QS's?

ReputationRep:
    Both QS' and QS's are right.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it are currect punctuation. The two mistakes in the previous sentence illustrate incorrect grammar and spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusTheEskimo)
    What's wrong with QS's?
    Not much, it's just that it's more traditional not to add an additional s when the word already ends in one.

ReputationRep:
    QS's looks yucky. I hate adding 's when a word already ends in s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    @ signature: somebody's a bit serious about an internet website... sigh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Both QS' and QS's are right.
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    QS's looks yucky. I hate adding 's when a word already ends in s!
    I think both are right, but QS' is used more widely because it looks nicer.

ReputationRep:
    Very good, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusTheEskimo)
    What's wrong with QS's?
    In this case QS's would suffice, its only in certain situations that the single ' (as opposed to the 's) needs to be used. E.g:

James' and James's are both right, because they way you pronounce it is 'Jameses'

However in the case of Waters', you wouldn't pronounce it Waterses.... so you write it as Waters'

Its become more common to just put a single ' on all words ending in s, but technically in the first example either can be used, its all down to the pronunciation of the word.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure that this rule extended to acronyms, as "S" is the initial and not the last letter. It would always be "Quantity Surveyor's", so are we definite that the "QS'" would still stand when abbreviated?

(Original post by ashy)
    :five:

We're the greatest :ninja:
    ...in the world. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    ...in the world. :yes:
    Reputation may only be given to the same user every 28 days. You will be able to give out reputation to this user again in 16 days.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, according to this article, the advice giving on this thread is wrong. Am I missing something?

http://painintheenglish.com/?p=333

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Guys, according to this article, the advice giving on this thread is wrong. Am I missing something?

http://painintheenglish.com/?p=333
    No, they're just comments from random Interwebbers -- when in doubt, trust the collective genius of TSR! Fran.ha seems to have given the most detailed correct response.

Besides, it matters little. Grammar should help you in expressing what you wish to say, not constrain you. No one's going to mark anyone down over such a small thing because it's a relatively ambiguous -- not to mention uninteresting -- point of English in the minds of the majority.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.