Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why exercise won't make you thin Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where I should post this, but I guess most people who would find this article interesting would be lurking around this section :p:

Was just reading it today, pretty interesting. You're thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Diet is more important than exercise.

This has always been the case?

ReputationRep:
    cheers for that, i had just worked up enough motivation to cycle to the gym...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Podgeykins)

The article doesn't say that you should diet & exercise. It is talking about how (for individuals) even if you didn't exercise in the more known sense (gymming), weight loss would be possible:

Many obesity researchers now believe that very frequent, low-level physical activity — the kind humans did for tens of thousands of years before the leaf blower was invented — may actually work better for us than the occasional bouts of exercise you get as a gym rat.
    For his part, Berthoud rises at 5 a.m. to walk around his neighborhood several times. He also takes the stairs when possible. "Even if people can get out of their offices, out from in front of their computers, they go someplace like the mall and then take the elevator," he says. "This is the real problem, not that we don't go to the gym enough."

ReputationRep:
    That article is complete and utter ********. Its trying to tell people they shouldn't exercise just eat less. True you may lose weight but it will all be muscle and you'll still look bad. The only people who would benefit from this article are the idiots who thinks going to the gym means they can eat more chocolate and sweets. The people with any sense would realise they need to control what they eat and exercise to lose weight. Unfortunately people are too stupid and too lazy to realise this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    The article doesn't say that you should diet & exercise. It is talking about how (for individuals) even if you didn't exercise in the more known sense (gymming), weight loss would be possible:
    That again is obvious. Walk when you can, don't just sit on your ass. However a gym regime is far more effective than doing little bits of low level exercise. Going to the gym occasionally is pointless especially when you do a bad workout which is what most people do. Even many regular gym goers have a terrible programme that is a waste of their time. The problem is people don't understand weight loss or understand the different effects different exercise has on the body so their workouts are bad.

Of course the best way to lose weight is a combination. Eat healthily. Go to the gym and do regular exercise. Do low level activities such as walking instead of getting the bus or driving.

ReputationRep:
    Given the current obesity levels, what a terrible and utter crap thing to publish.

Exercise might make you hungry?

Jesus christ...

ReputationRep:
    Gahhh what a crap article... sure you're more hungry after you exercise but that doesn't mean you pig out on crap food :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Of course exercise makes you hungry, but it also changes your body composition. If you want to lose fat and muscle, diet without exercising IMO!

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of making you hungry, you would still eat less in proportion to the exercise you do, so you're still gaining a calorie deficit. You don't eat up everything you burn.

ReputationRep:
    Only real value of the article is that it states something which isn't all that obvious to people. The main reason for obesity is because we live in a society where we have machines to take out the physical activity from everything. 150+ years ago people would take on 3-4k calories a day and remain thin, those people these days are mostly fatties.

ReputationRep:
    The article relies on the fact that you have absolutely no motivation to genuinely lose weight and are just going to the gym in the vain hope that it will be some magical cure. If you were actually motivated, you wouldn't be pigging out on loads of food straight afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticMaster)
    The problem is people don't understand weight loss or understand the different effects different exercise has on the body so their workouts are bad.
    Exactly. Going to the gym and jogging on a treadmill for an hour will of course make you hungry, whilst weight training significantly less so.

The article writer still has a layer of fat, mostly because a) he has no self-control after exercise (something the gym can't solve) and b) does no exercise to build muscle, that I can see. That personal trainer probably has him doing the plank to 'tone' his abs or something .:rolleyes:

This article actually made me mad. As much as exercise alone won't make you thin, he doesn't explain why it is true. It is true because to be thin or to lose weight, people need to change their whole attitude to diet and exercise. They need to go to the gym with an informed weight loss programme, work hard, and clean up their diet. There is no quick fix. To say that exercise doesn't work because it makes you hungry is absurd :mad: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Podgeykins)

No, I disagree, it depends on the individual.

I have lost a great deal of weight, and the magic ingredient in the process was definitely the increase in exercise.

Diet is important, but as long as the calorie intake does not exceed the calorie ouput you are good to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)

I have lost a great deal of weight, and the magic ingredient in the process was definitely the increase in exercise.

Diet is important, but as long as the calorie intake does not exceed the calorie ouput you are good to go.
    Have to agree with this.

Ive lost weight and gained muscle without touching my diet - Although I do believe that had i improved it/stopped eating so much sweets/chocolate I could have achieved even more/in less time. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)

What's easier though - going without a chocolate bar or going out a run for half an hour?

I enjoy running so I'd happily do the latter, but a lot of folk don't. It's far easier to just go without the chocolate than it is to strap your trainers on on a Tuesday night in December when the rain and sleet's pelting down.

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't want to go to the gym and work hard. And most people don't want to be fat; just being thinner will suffice. Most people don't need to train hard because they don't care. For these people, they're better off just eating less crap. I don't see what's so complicated.

Sure, exercise makes you faster, stronger, healthier and better looking. But not everybody cares about that stuff. Just being a healthy average weight is more than most fatties could hope for.

They don't like the gym, and if they do go, they don't train properly anyway.

Hey, Fatty! Put the chocolate down. Get your fat-ass off the treadmill and turn off Jeremy Kyle before you leave.

Gladly, I'm not one of these people. I like training, and I enjoy training hard.

ReputationRep:
    "In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless". This is SUCH a load of cr*p!

If your calorie intake is less than your calorie output, you'll lose weight. Simple as that. Most people need to exercise to make that happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prudentstudent)
    "In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless". This is SUCH a load of cr*p!

If your calorie intake is less than your calorie output, you'll lose weight. Simple as that. Most people need to exercise to make that happen.
    Not really.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's useless. But I'd say diet is much more important for weight loss. Just like it's much more important for muscle gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Not really.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's useless. But I'd say diet is much more important for weight loss. Just like it's much more important for muscle gain.
    Don't you think?

Imagine if no-one in the world did any exercise. Ever.

We'd all be fat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.