Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if any people concisously change their image when they go to uni? Most people will be away from their home towns and people that know them to a new enviroment with new people?

If you did change your image, how did you do it e.g clothes, music, interests etc?

ReputationRep:
    change may be the wrong word . more like refine. small changes to make a clearer better you .

ReputationRep:
    Why would I change my music and interests? Friends fit around me, not the other way around... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start using face paint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedodgeruk)
    change may be the wrong word . more like refine. small changes to make a clearer better you .
    Firstly, this thread is bizarre! You will come across fake for starters and secondly why would you change who you are?!

And a clearer "BETTER" you?! are you joking??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I was wondering if any people concisously change their image when they go to uni? Most people will be away from their home towns and people that know them to a new enviroment with new people?

If you did change your image, how did you do it e.g clothes, music, interests etc?
    I didn't change my image intentionally, however I have found myself dressing slightly dif.ferently.

ReputationRep:
    i wont be
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've no intention on changing whatsoever. Why should I? It's my life, not anyone else's.

ReputationRep:
    My image changed in that I became more slobby and stopped actually caring about what people thought about me - all through secondary school and college it felt like a competition and I never wanted to do or wear things that other people may critiscise me for... going to uni was like a revelation where I finally realised I could do whatever the hell I wanted, wear what I wanted, like what I wanted and other people would have to like me for me. But no, you should never intentionally change your image when going to uni - even if you did try, it would be such a pretence trying to keep it up that you'd just come across fake as.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of becoming a Jack Wills wearing douchebag.

ReputationRep:
    Several people from my school COMPLETELY reinvented themselves at uni. You're basically free to do whatever you want, and change entirely - new people, no existing reputation, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't plan to intentioanlly change, maybe I will, maybe I won't.

That said, it would be slightly different for me: there are a number of people who went to my school/sixth form that I'm god friends with that are looking at going to the same University as me, so it perhaps won't be a totally new environment where everyone is 'new'

ReputationRep:
    Not change, but be who I want to be.
    sometimes old friends at home don't understand that you've changed.

ReputationRep:
    Not really no. I was happy with who I was. I came more out of my shell as such and a little more outgoing (school I was crippling shy, sixth form I was shy) but that was something I'd wanted to do in sixth form anyway, I just felt like everyone knew me so I couldn't.

I've actually got money now too at uni so I wear nicer clothes really but it's all marginal. I pretty much wore the same kinda stuff before, just hadn't honed my style cos I never had money and hardly went shopping. During college I never went out really either, except at the end and in the holidays where I started going out with friends to the pubs and clubs around town. Overall though I was pretty happy with who I was and am still friends with a lot of the same people from back home as well as some new people at uni so can't have changed too much.

ReputationRep:
    why change into someone else... :confused: as long as you don't look like a hyena it's fine...

Of course. You will notice that people who were previously shy at school and wore terrible clothes try to reinvent themselves - they buy new clothes, act more confident, etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I've no intention on changing whatsoever. Why should I? It's my life, not anyone else's.
    And why was I negged for this? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't intentionally change my image but looking back I guess my style has changed quite a lot - I guess it's just part of growing up and changing over time and would have happened regardless of university. I feel more myself at university than I did at home. I know people who have completely changed at university though and I know people who've become more introverted at univeristy.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I really changed for uni was my hair. I had an afro but cut it all off for uni interviews. I wish I hadn't now.

ReputationRep:
    I was way ******* cooler at sixth form.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.