Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can possibly help me. I'll quickly run through what's going on.

A couple of weeks ago, I developed what looked like a scratch about an inch round approximately where my stomach is, I left it, as it looked inconspicuous enough. But when it hadn't gone down around two weeks later I started to get a little worried. Approximately a week ago, lots of smaller 'scratches' appeared, all over my torso, I immediately booked an appointment at the doctors, unfortunately, due to commitments I had to wait three days, and these scab looking things have sprung up all over my torso.

I went to the doctors and she suggested maybe it was eczema, this I find confusing, for several reasons.

- nobody in my entire family has ever had eczema
    - I've never had eczema
    - I'm 19, I thought this was usually only in children
    - It's on my torso, not dry areas
    - my skin is not dry at all, never has been
    - it's not very itchy at all

I've tried the cream for the last couple of days, and it's just got worse if anything.

So, could it be eczema? Why is it on my torso not in cracks? Is there anything I can do to prevent it. Is it likely to spread to my arms and legs where it is difficult to hide?

Any help very much appreciated.

C

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggets that you get a second doctor's opinion. I have eczema and it has never appeared like that on my stomach. You should get it sorted out as soon as possible, and you'll be laughing .. well not literally I doubt it's anything serious :p:
    X

ReputationRep:
    Eczema usually occurs because of dry skin first, if your skin isn't dry then it's unlikely it is eczema. I used to have eczema, pretty much everywhere apart from on my stomach! However, i'd get a second opinion just in case, but seeing as the cream isn't working and the other reasons ive just mentioned, it most likely isn't eczema!

ReputationRep:
    It's not a case of your parents or your family not having the condition. Eczema is also linked to hayfever and I think asthma, have your parents got hayfever?

As for the age thing, it doesn't matter what age you are. Generally people can grow out of it but then again, my eczema condition is still going three years longer than it "should" have.

Thanks for the replies. No neither my parents, or any of my family or me, have hayfever, or asthma, so I'd be surprised if it's that. It's all rather confusing to be honest, I think I'll get myself booked in for another appointment, and see another doctor, cos frankly my parents and I are baffled. Do you have any idea what else it possibly could be? Any suggestions at all to things I could look up and compare would be much appreciated.

C

ReputationRep:
    Eczema isn't always itchy. I have it on my legs and it's not itchy. The only reason why it's been itchy the last few weeks is because of a reaction to something.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thought sprung to mind. Could be dermatitis.

ReputationRep:
    I have eczema and I'm 18, so it's not just young children (although I've had it since I was a baby and was told I'd grow out of it... still waiting, lol!) and also no one else in my family has it.

That said, though, what you have doesn't sound a lot like eczema, at least not how I've experienced it. I wouldn't necessarily say your doctor is wrong, because it's not like I'm an expert on eczema and for all I know it might have different forms, but if I were you I would try and see another doctor just to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    There are about 10 different types of eczema so just becouse what you have does not fit in with the discription of the most common atopic type that you found on the internet it does not automatically mean that your doctor is wrong. :p:

What cream were you given? If it is just the moisturiser like the aquous cream than it may be worth booking another appoitment and asking for something a bit stronger.

Hi, thanks. I'm not suggesting the doctor is wrong, or at least I don't mean to. I can't imagine she is. I was looking for advice and a bit of information to ease my confusion as much as anything else.

As far as I can tell dermatitis is some form of eczema? But from a quick google, the very first image with someone with it on their stomach looks just like it, mine is alot smaller, about an inch round, but it has spread in small patches all over. Perhaps that is it? Or is that the same thing anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah i thought dermatitis was a form/another name for eczema? Not too sure though!
    What cream did she prescribe if you don't mind me asking? Was it a moisturiser or was it a steroid type cream? Because i had severe eczema as a child, i used to use a steroid cream called elecon. Overuse of it can thin the skin therefore i think it's unlikely that's what she prescibed, but if she only prescribed you a moisturiser and she does think it is eczema, than that's not really going to reduce the inflammation of your skin, moisturiser usually just soothes/clears the dry skin, i think..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, thanks. I'm not suggesting the doctor is wrong, or at least I don't mean to. I can't imagine she is. I was looking for advice and a bit of information to ease my confusion as much as anything else.
    Sorry I was unnecessarily harsh in my comment. Your doctor can be wrong. Happens more often then never. I just wanted to point out that all those

- nobody in my entire family has ever had eczema
    - I've never had eczema
    - I'm 19, I thought this was usually only in children
    - It's on my torso, not dry areas
    - my skin is not dry at all, never has been
    - it's not very itchy at all

apply to atopic eczema and there are other types as well. Therefore you may well have a types of eczema, which does not fit the usual discription.

What shape is it? Does it look anything like those by any chance? Those are pictures of discoid eczema, which often occurs on the torso or back rather then in the limb creases.
    http://www.rch.org.au/emplibrary/rch...a_discoid1.jpg
    http://www.skincancerguide.com/image...scoidecz01.jpg
    http://www.patient.co.uk/images/DIS29.jpg

Whatever it is if it is not getting better with the cream you have than you should go to the doctor again and ask them to take another look.

Hi, the cream is called Eumovate cream, clobetasone butyrate. Just today the main rash has started to subside, the skin no longer looks flakey, just red, so it may be that the cream is starting to have an effect, not sure yet, as the other rashes remain the same.

It looks very much like the last photo, but less a ring more a solid circle, but looks just like that, and the smaller rashes outside of the main circle look similar to the ones elsewhere on my torso. So I think it's very likely that is what I have. Is it common, and will it take long to subside, or is it not possible to tell? Thanks

C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is it common, and will it take long to subside, or is it not possible to tell? Thanks

C
    It's not as common as some other types of eczema but is not that unusual either. It's hard to say how long it will take to clear as it vary quite a bit from person to person. If there is some improvement after few days of using the cream I think you can be carefully optimistic. In the meantime consider yourself lucky that it doesn't itch.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know much about eczema im sorry but I would get a second opinion if it hasnt gone in a week to 2 weeks. Go and see another doc. It could be an allergic reaction?I had psoriasis and my doctor didnt know what it was so see your doc again and they may arrange you an appointment with a dermatologist good luck! hope you feel better soon!

Thanks and thanks, I shall let you know how it goes.

c

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.