Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We get charity callers coming to our door at least once every two weeks, and its always just at the time when I'm trying to get the kids ready for bed. Bloody annoying, not quite as annoying as Jehovah's witnesses trying to pass you a 'financial advice' leaflet to you*, but very annoying when you get it two or three times a week.

I have also been hit by a chugger once. That £5 a month was to be honest £5 that I couldn't afford to give (FOE). If I want to give to charity I will find one that I agree with and sign up, I don't like them coming to me. IIRC we still give to the Cat's Protection League, and whenever we have a clear out I take boxes or bags of stuff to the local Barnado's shop.

*I will not pollute my house with religious books or leaflets. In fact I once found a JW flyer on the doormat when returning home with the kids, and promptly informed our eldest (2 1/2yrs old) that it was rubbish and needed to go into the bin, and she promptly did so for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    We get charity callers coming to our door at least once every two weeks, and its always just at the time when I'm trying to get the kids ready for bed. Bloody annoying, not quite as annoying as Jehovah's witnesses trying to pass you a 'financial advice' leaflet to you*, but very annoying when you get it two or three times a week.

I have also been hit by a chugger once. That £5 a month was to be honest £5 that I couldn't afford to give (FOE). If I want to give to charity I will find one that I agree with and sign up, I don't like them coming to me. IIRC we still give to the Cat's Protection League, and whenever we have a clear out I take boxes or bags of stuff to the local Barnado's shop.

*I will not pollute my house with religious books or leaflets. In fact I once found a JW flyer on the doormat when returning home with the kids, and promptly informed our eldest (2 1/2yrs old) that it was rubbish and needed to go into the bin, and she promptly did so for me...
    Hmmmm it's only a leaflet, it wasn't a burning bag of dog **** :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    I have also been hit by a chugger once.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: I hope you rang up and complained!

ReputationRep:
    I hate chuggers. Scum of the earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    I hate chuggers. Scum of the earth.
    Yes what awful people going out and doing a job they probably hate to help charities and pay the rent. What absolute *******s :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Yes what awful people going out and doing a job they probably hate to help charities and pay the rent. What absolute *******s :rolleyes:
    Awful people who are happy to take 8, 9 or 10 quid an hour from the charity they're supposed to be raising money for, yet treat passers-by who have the audacity to expect to be allowed to walk in peace like scum for refusing to sign up to an exorbitant direct debit set-up.

ReputationRep:
    Awful people who are happy to take 8, 9 or 10 quid an hour from the charity they're supposed to be raising money for, yet treat passers-by who have the audacity to expect to be allowed to walk in peace like scum for refusing to sign up to an exorbitant direct debit set-up.
    All charities set aside money for fund-raising, most chuggers work for a fund-raising company rather then the charity directly like the place i work. How else do you expect them to create awareness and secure more donations? All you have to do is politely say no thank you and carry on your way. Don't be so damn miserable.

ReputationRep:
    They're ruining the high street.

ReputationRep:
    they're ******* everywhere in winchester - made worse by the fact it still generally has a normal highstreet so most people going one end to the other get caugh by them in a narrow spot.

ReputationRep:
    They piss me off, especially because I know I'm not going to sign up. I've worked out now the best thing to say is 'sorry I'm only 17'...

ReputationRep:
    Most are annoying and quite pathetic for playing the guilt trip card. These days I just put on a scowl and then sometimes if I am lucky they ignore me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    All charities set aside money for fund-raising, most chuggers work for a fund-raising company rather then the charity directly like the place i work. How else do you expect them to create awareness and secure more donations? All you have to do is politely say no thank you and carry on your way. Don't be so damn miserable.
    Chuggers don't understand politeness. They chase you down the street, even when you're clearly busy or on the phone, they shout at you, and they hurl abuse if you refuse to sign up to their little schemes.

If a charity can afford to waste excessive amounts of money on these scrotes, they don't need my money.

ReputationRep:
    Chuggers creep me out, they're so eerily upbeat like childrens TV presenters.

ReputationRep:
    "Sorry, but I already support the charity of my choice."

Is my generic answer to them! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm indifferent really. Nothing has ever come from somone talking to me; if I want to help a chairty I will do so on my own. But I don't mind them raising awareness. Usually I'll just smile and say no thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Chuggers don't understand politeness. They chase you down the street, even when you're clearly busy or on the phone, they shout at you, and they hurl abuse if you refuse to sign up to their little schemes.

If a charity can afford to waste excessive amounts of money on these scrotes, they don't need my money.
    Nobody I worked with in Australia would have dreamt of ever 'hurling abuse'! That would have been incredibly unprofessional. In fact we were always told that since we were representing the charity, and if we did anything rude or looked shoddy etc. it would reflect badly on the charity as well as us, it was strictly not allowed!
    In Britain I've never come across a chugger that has been abusive.
    You've got to expect a little persistance from them, because tbh only about 1 in 100 people who do end up signing up, would have signed up if the chuggers had just stood there like they were a poster on a billboard, not approaching anyone.

ReputationRep:

No, they don't pn a whole. If you have a problem complain to the charity :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I had a bad experience so am probably biased on this! One chugger actually insulted me personally by calling me 'spoilt' when I refused to donate to his charity, after telling him I already give to two and can't afford to give any more because I'm a student. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, although I hate being approached by them, I know they're only doing their job, so there's no point complaining (unless their abusive, of course). The charities involved wouldn't get nearly so many donations if they didn't, so it's worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    I appreciate that they're taking up their own time to work for charity
    It's a job, they get paid.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.