Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seems excessively unfair?

At my college the general rule is AS grade + 1, except if you have an A, and they have told my year they won't be predicting A*s. A girl who wants to apply for Cambridge says she requires an A* prediction to get an intervew, and given her UMS average is 98% its not a massive stretch, but nope no A* predictions.

At my old secondary school it was AS grade. No plus.

At the other college I was accepted to it was AS grade + 2

Where my ex went to sixth form it was AS grade - 1

It seems so inconsistant and simply unfair! Someone who got an A and AS could be predicted the same grade as someone who got a C, leaving them with the same 'points' at admissions and the University giving offers of A's to C students who realisitically will struggle to get their overall grade up to an A!

Why don't they create a national way of predicting A2 grades? I think it should be AS grade, no + or - .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is a massive joke.

ReputationRep:
    It is unfair. Live with it... or just get As at AS, that way they can't really justify predicting you anything less than an A for A2.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's stupid. A much better way would be to force everyone to cash in their AS grades at the end of year 13, and scrap 'predicted grades' entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    It is unfair. Live with it... or just get As at AS, that way they can't really justify predicting you anything less than an A for A2.
    This. As long as you get an A's at AS..they have no reason to predict you any less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xerophelistica)
    Yes it's stupid. A much better way would be to force everyone to cash in their AS grades at the end of year 13, and scrap 'predicted grades' entirely.
    I'd imagine that if you can't get As at AS level in 3 or 4 subjects, medical school isn't going to be much easier for you.

ReputationRep:
    My school did it on an individual basis. If they thought we were capable of getting an A they predicted us an A. We had a grade predicted based not only on AS results but class work. For example on paper I was a very weak B in Chemistry yet I got predicted an A because I was capable of an A. In january I pulled my AS marks up to that level proving them right. Whether I get an A in the end is another matter entirely. I think if possible it should always be done like this as teachers often know who is able to pull up their marks and who will let them slip.

I know this isn't always the case and the fact that there are only 100ish in my year meant it was easier for each teacher to do it like this. In a larger sixthform or college environment then they have to chose some standard way of doing it that matches their experience. If on the whole they've found thier students get a grade higher at A-level then they are right to predict that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xerophelistica)
    What does it mean to cash in AS grades?

& I will hopefully have A's at AS - just therefore seems unfair to me that someone who has got Bs or Cs at AS will be predicted the same grades and get the same recognition at Universities?

Impact of this is Universities giving offers to places to people who cannot realistically pull their grade from a C to an A (a C is pretty disasterous for anyone wanting to do medicine would have thought) and so they miss their offer, when they really would have struggled to meet it, and someone who could have got the A could have been given the spot -- don't think I have explained this overly well...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worrying about that,,,,it's AS + 1 at my school so all's fine
    It's unfair, then again so is life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizB)
    My school did it on an individual basis. If they thought we were capable of getting an A they predicted us an A. We had a grade predicted based not only on AS results but class work. For example on paper I was a very weak B in Chemistry yet I got predicted an A because I was capable of an A. In january I pulled my AS marks up to that level proving them right. Whether I get an A in the end is another matter entirely. I think if possible it should always be done like this as teachers often know who is able to pull up their marks and who will let them slip.

I know this isn't always the case and the fact that there are only 100ish in my year meant it was easier for each teacher to do it like this. In a larger sixthform or college environment then they have to chose some standard way of doing it that matches their experience. If on the whole they've found thier students get a grade higher at A-level then they are right to predict that.
    You clearly haven't heard of the schools who give A predictions to students who achieve C grades and the like at AS.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got an A in German for AS, about 255/300, so not even scraping it, and in September they predicted her a B, which was annoying because she wanted to do languages at university. However, after pleading with her teacher they brought it up to an A...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

& I will hopefully have A's at AS - just therefore seems unfair to me that someone who has got Bs or Cs at AS will be predicted the same grades and get the same recognition at Universities?

Impact of this is Universities giving offers to places to people who cannot realistically pull their grade from a C to an A (a C is pretty disasterous for anyone wanting to do medicine would have thought) and so they miss their offer, when they really would have struggled to meet it, and someone who could have got the A could have been given the spot -- don't think I have explained this overly well...
    They don't get the same recognition, because you can choose to cash in and declare your A grades at AS, should you get them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lekky)
    Seems excessively unfair?

At my college the general rule is AS grade + 1, except if you have an A, and they have told my year they won't be predicting A*s. A girl who wants to apply for Cambridge says she requires an A* prediction to get an interview, and given her UMS average is 98% its not a massive stretch, but nope no A* predictions.

At my old secondary school it was AS grade. No plus.

At the other college I was accepted to it was AS grade + 2

Where my ex went to sixth form it was AS grade - 1

It seems so inconsistant and simply unfair! Someone who got an A and AS could be predicted the same grade as someone who got a C, leaving them with the same 'points' at admissions and the University giving offers of A's to C students who realisitically will struggle to get their overall grade up to an A!

Why don't they create a national way of predicting A2 grades? I think it should be AS grade, no + or - .
    I think you can reassure your friend that she probably will get an interview. They've said that they will use the A* in the offers but have not mentioned it for interview, and they are aware that you cannot get A* at AS. Your friend will have to give Cambridge her UMS, so they'll see her 98%s and know how good she is. The way your school is predicting grades seems silly, but tell your friend not to worry :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_xx)
    My friend got an A in German for AS, about 255/300, so not even scraping it, and in September they predicted her a B, which was annoying because she wanted to do languages at university. However, after pleading with her teacher they brought it up to an A...
    My system, if I was in charge, would be simple.

1. Make A level exams harder
    2. Make it compulsorary to declare AS grades
    3. Keep predicted grades there, but achieved grades can be taken into account alongside this

ReputationRep:
    i would get peeple to get there final grades, and then apply to university.

it could easily be managed now, A lvls could easily be covered in a year and a 'alf today.
    too big a change in the sschool structure of spring and summer terms to even begin that sadly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    I think you can reassure your friend that she probably will get an interview. They've said that they will use the A* in the offers but have not mentioned it for interview, and they are aware that you cannot get A* at AS. Your friend will have to give Cambridge her UMS, so they'll see her 98%s and know how good she is. The way your school is predicting grades seems silly, but tell your friend not to worry :o:
    You see, if you can get 98%, it's saying to me that the exams are getting too easy.

But yea, for Cambridge you have the SAQ so she can be predicted Bs and it wouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    i would get peeple to get there final grades, and then apply to university.

it could easily be managed now, A lvls could easily be covered in a year and a 'alf today.
    That's because A levels aren't that challenging... especially when you can resit as many exams as you want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    When you go to fill out your UCAS form after results day, you have a choice about whether to put in the grades you attained at AS for your subject, or leave it blank and simply state that your A Levels are still 'ongoing', so to speak.

Your school will have a policy on this, so it looks very suspicious if your whole school cashes in their grades but you don't. However people aren't penalised for not cashing in their grades if no one in their school does, and the universities instead simply use the predicted grades as an indicator of how good the student is.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly haven't heard of the schools who give A predictions to students who achieve C grades and the like at AS.
    I'm not saying some schools don't get it wrong. I am well aware that in some places they just predict A's for no good reason. What I'm saying is that sometimes certain people deserve to be predicted a higher grade than AS. If for example you've negotiated with your teachers that you will resit exams in january and the teachers feel you are capable then you should be predicted the better grade.

This is why more places are offered than are available. The universities are aware that some people will miss their offers be that due to their own mistakes or a teacher predicting higher than the student can attain.

ReputationRep:
    That's because A levels aren't that challenging... especially when you can resit as many exams as you want...
    lol you sure like that point.

quite true 'o course.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.