Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizB)
    I'm not saying some schools don't get it wrong. I am well aware that in some places they just predict A's for no good reason. What I'm saying is that sometimes certain people deserve to be predicted a higher grade than AS. If for example you've negotiated with your teachers that you will resit exams in january and the teachers feel you are capable then you should be predicted the better grade.

This is why more places are offered than are available. The universities are aware that some people will miss their offers be that due to their own mistakes or a teacher predicting higher than the student can attain.
    Yes but it shouldn't be necessary. If you need to resit an exam, the point still remains that you seriously ****** up that exam the first time around. They should scrap predicted grades completely. I got predicted distinctions in my AEAs despite telling my teachers I was not going to do any work for it at all.

At the end of the day, you're just a statistic, and another medic or oxbridge person at the other end looks good for the school.

ReputationRep:
    This is why the Scottish system is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Seems excessively unfair?

At my college the general rule is AS grade + 1, except if you have an A, and they have told my year they won't be predicting A*s. A girl who wants to apply for Cambridge says she requires an A* prediction to get an intervew, and given her UMS average is 98% its not a massive stretch, but nope no A* predictions.

At my old secondary school it was AS grade. No plus.

At the other college I was accepted to it was AS grade + 2

Where my ex went to sixth form it was AS grade - 1

It seems so inconsistant and simply unfair! Someone who got an A and AS could be predicted the same grade as someone who got a C, leaving them with the same 'points' at admissions and the University giving offers of A's to C students who realisitically will struggle to get their overall grade up to an A!

Why don't they create a national way of predicting A2 grades? I think it should be AS grade, no + or - .
    you know i feel lucky, i go to some bad school where the teachers will predict whatever grade student needs for their application - if i say predict me an A* they will - that's because no one in my school has got good grades - although I have got 3 As at AS already with 95%+ and I am predicted 3 A*s. - I am wondering, it's all up to the teachers, why don't the teachers predict the grades students need for univerisity? I mean i understand they can't predict an A* grade for someone who is an E grade student - but also I don't think it's good to have a system that automatically predicts grades for students, I believe it would be better to judge each student on their own merit..Also, the past doesn't mean much, i wasn't very motivated when doing GCSEs - but now I am so motivated in A levels that I am on my way of gettin 3 A*s - so it's not really fair to have a system, it should be judged by the teacher considering every aspect of the student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    This is why the Scottish system is awesome.
    Except sometimes people with unconditionals lose the motivation to work :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Except sometimes people with unconditionals lose the motivation to work :p:

Why be motivated for something so pointless? Besides, I'm about to embark for 5/6 years of working my arse off. I need a little perty time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    This really doesn't have anything to do with Medicine, does it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    Why be motivated for something so pointless? Besides, I'm about to embark for 5/6 years of working my arse off. I need a little perty time. :p:
    To be fair, I can relate to that point. I couldn't really be ****** to do much after about April :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)

It does indeed. I was raising a very good point, which followed on to a discussion involving its bad points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    No, but I'd hate for some pesky mod to move it to the A levels forum...

It'll get swamped by people who like being able to resit an exam 5 times... and we'll all be called grade snobs... and people who all say how exams haven't got any easier... but we're just better students blah blah blah :argh: :blah:

ReputationRep:
    I think it is reasonable that people will achieve better than their AS, but I don't think it should be set down that you are predicted one grade higher. Many people wont, or will even do worse and they are getting an unfair advantage. Even sillier if people who get an A are automatically predicted an A* as getting a * is very difficult and quite down to chance imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    you know i feel lucky, i go to some bad school where the teachers will predict whatever grade student needs for their application - if i say predict me an A* they will - that's because no one in my school has got good grades - although I have got 3 As at AS already with 95%+ and I am predicted 3 A*s. - I am wondering, it's all up to the teachers, why don't the teachers predict the grades students need for univerisity? I mean i understand they can't predict an A* grade for someone who is an E grade student - but also I don't think it's good to have a system that automatically predicts grades for students, I believe it would be better to judge each student on their own merit..Also, the past doesn't mean much, i wasn't very motivated when doing GCSEs - but now I am so motivated in A levels that I am on my way of gettin 3 A*s - so it's not really fair to have a system, it should be judged by the teacher considering every aspect of the student.
    I don't understand why nobody has had the good sense to scrap predicted grades... Oh yes, Ed Balls, of course, the government is blissfully ignorant about this major discrepancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    I think it is reasonable that people will achieve better than their AS, but I don't think it should be set down that you are predicted one grade higher. Many people wont, or will even do worse and they are getting an unfair advantage. Even sillier if people who get an A are automatically predicted an A* as getting a * is very difficult and quite down to chance imo.
    I wouldn't say it was chance, especially in science subjects. 90% isn't really asking for much in the sciences. In arts subjects though, it can be quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was chance, especially in science subjects. 90% isn't really asking for much in the sciences. In arts subjects though, it can be quite hard.
    not completely down to chance, more so for arts subjects. but if you are working around the 90% level how you find the exam paper and other small factors may be what makes it.

ReputationRep:
    Predictions are predicitions and mean nothing. Post A2 ftw
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If a teacher believes that you can achieve a higher grade then they will predict you one, e.g. with me i got an D for AS Economics tenchincaslly at my school i should be predicted a C but i got predicted an B because it was one module that let me down and since you can always retake its alot more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    My system, if I was in charge, would be simple.

1. Make A level exams harder
    2. Make it compulsorary to declare AS grades
    3. Keep predicted grades there, but achieved grades can be taken into account alongside this
    4. Get rid of resits

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to be at your school.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully we will all get A's, I sure worked hard... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    My teachers all like "thought about it" so I got erm...-1, -1, -2, -2 I think.

ReputationRep:
    In our school, there was no set way..The subject teacher decides based on what they feel your potential is...thats the fairest way i suppose...

For example, i got a B in chemistry AS and was predicted an A for A2...But some people in my class got a B and were predicted a C...Also depends on how far you were from the next grade boundary

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.