Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well,

This may seem silly to to others, but I truly believe that if I don't get atleast 7 or 8 A*s for my GCSE results then I have failed, and will be a failure in life.

I don't know why I feel like this I guess it is just exam stress, but I honestly think I will feel extremely shattered if I atleast do not obtain these results.

I don't know what to do.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you're a troll, stop being silly.

If you're not a troll, stop being silly.

ReputationRep:
    Cross that bridge when/if you get there, but seriously they are not the be all and end all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well,

This may seem silly to to others, but I truly believe that if I don't get atleast 7 or 8 A*s for my GCSE results then I have failed, and will be a failure in life.

I don't know why I feel like this I guess it is just exam stress, but I honestly think I will feel extremely shattered if I atleast do not obtain these results.

I don't know what to do.
    You'll soon come to realise that GCSE results mean **** all in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being an idiot. I didn't get any A*'s and I am bloody brilliant even if I do say so myself.

ReputationRep:
    Cya.

ReputationRep:
    It's a piece of paper bro, also gcses have virtually no relevance whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    jeeeeeeeeeeeeez, there just GCSE's, you can start to really worry when you reach A levels then you'll know all about being shattered

ReputationRep:
    Omg, I've just done my gcse, and I couldn't care less.

They aren't going to mean anything once you've done A levels, gone to uni etc.

ffs.

ReputationRep:
    No need to feel like that. GCSEs are just a tiny stepping stone in life. Seriously, they make very little difference.
    If you are leaving school now, you'll need good grades to get a decent job. But if you're expecting so many A*s, I would assume you're staying on for college/sixth form.
    If you're going onto A-Levels/University, they make very little difference. Even for university applications, a B in English/Maths is often all that's needed.
    The only high GCSE requirements I've seen are at Birmingham for medicine:
    5 A*s at GCSE with AAA A-Levels
    7 A*s at GCSE with AAB A-Levels

If you don't get what you expected/want, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I have less than that.

I guess my future is ruined :emo:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Oh I completely agree! My life has been on a downward trajectory ever since I only got 2 A*s at GCSE I'll be sitting under a bridge asking passers-by for money soon.

OP, you won't be a failure if you don't get the amount of A*s you anticipated.

OP, what do you want in life?

Tbh, you probably have done better than expected. Don't worry about it, it isn't the end of the world. I'm sure you had done well.

Even if you haven't, don't worry - grades aren't meant to be everything.

I you want a private chat with me, PM me. I'm more than happy to help, but I totally understand your position. :yep:

Don't worry. :console: You probably got your 7/8A*.

ReputationRep:
    I only got 4 A*s for GCSE and I'm at medical school. I must really be a failure and I should drop out now.

Get a hold of yourself OP, no-one will care about your GCSEs when you apply for employment and while GCSEs seem overwhelming and super-important at the moment, they really won't matter in a couple of years time. Just relax and enjoy what's left of the Summer!

(Original post by Student2806)
    You'll soon come to realise that GCSE results mean **** all in the grand scheme of things.
    +1

I was in a near similar situation as you (OP). I had (honestly) nightmares about failing, and thus worked my socks off and got rather high grades.

I was so proud with myself and felt I had achieved something. However, once I had started my A Levels, I soon realised that they didn't matter diddly-squat.

Unless you're planning to apply to a highly competitive course (with GCSE Entry Requirements), I wouldn't worry too much. Once you've got into Sixth Form (which you will with C+) I doubt anyone will care what you got in your GCSEs with the focus being what you'll be getting in your A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    they dont matter honestly, i got 2 A's at gcse and I'm working for one of the big 4 now

ReputationRep:
    Lol GCSEs. You're, what, 16? You don't know suicidal. Just because you don't feel like going to Starbucks one day does not mean you are suicidal.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, when you're off to Uni you'll realise how little GCSE's actually mean.

ReputationRep:
    Lower your expectations, then come results day you'll be really happy. I far exceeded my own expectations on GCSE results day and I was so happy when I did so.

Also, while good GCSE grades are a bonus, very few courses actually ask for a specified number of GCSEs at A/A*.

ReputationRep:
    Contemplating suicide over grades is rather sad.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.