The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
Well,

This may seem silly to to others, but I truly believe that if I don't get atleast 7 or 8 A*s for my GCSE results then I have failed, and will be a failure in life.

I don't know why I feel like this I guess it is just exam stress, but I honestly think I will feel extremely shattered if I atleast do not obtain these results.

I don't know what to do. :frown:

I know EXACTLY what you mean!! My mocks were the best result I could have hoped for, but I really didn't like this set of exams when compared to the year 11 mocks so I'm hopeful but not confident. I want those A*s so badly because I know I've got them once, and half a dozen *s just isn't enough me. I guess an even mix of As and A*s isn't the end of the world, but it will just make me feel like I won't acheive the A-level grades I want if I can't even get A* at GCSE, when an A* at A-Level is going to be so much more difficult.

Well, good luck anyway...
littleshambles
Lol troll.

While I would be personally destroyed if I got less than two As in my A Levels, that's because I want to go to my firm choice bro. 5 A*s will not hurt you, and you can fairly well make it up at A level if you don't do as well anyway. Stressing over A Levels is kind of justified for most people, GCSEs not so much. Chill out. Troll.

why do people shout troll so quickly?!
I can't believe how shallow some people are. I got 2 A*s at GCSE and I was the happiest girl alive. Then I got to my A-levels and realised that GCSE's mean nothing...

If everyone felt the same way as you, most teenagers will be dead on 27th August...
Reply 43
i think u are at the stage where you think gcses are the most important thing in the world. i was like you ... probably even worse!! once u do your a levels you will realise that a levels are actually more important and when unis choose students for admission someone with 7a* is pretty much the same as someone with 5a*!!!

for example imperial admits students with 5a* for medicine! so gcses isnt everything!!!
Reply 44
I would be happy with one))
Anonymous
Well,

This may seem silly to to others, but I truly believe that if I don't get atleast 7 or 8 A*s for my GCSE results then I have failed, and will be a failure in life.

I don't know why I feel like this I guess it is just exam stress, but I honestly think I will feel extremely shattered if I atleast do not obtain these results.

I don't know what to do. :frown:

Even though i am taking my GCSE's in 2010 right now i feel the exact same as you!!!
Emily069
Stop being an idiot. I didn't get any A*'s and I am bloody brilliant even if I do say so myself.

Because you said that , you're brilliant. I won't get any A*'s. But it doesn't mean your life is over. Hey I'm quite amazing myself if I must say so :wink: :giggle:
Reply 47
Seriously, in about a year's time you'll realise how insignificant GCSEs really are. They're just a passport to getting you into doing A-levels and the grades required to do most A-levels aren't even that high. I can empathize with you though, at the time it seems like the world depends on it, especially with the added pressure from parents and teachers. Worry about A-levels though; if you flop those you risk your chance of not getting into unis.
Reply 48
They really don't matter. As long as you get INTO college/6th form, GCSE's really don't matter in the long run.
Lol, because GCSEs matter :rolleyes:

I got 2, for the record, so I should probably go kill myself now.
Emily069
Stop being an idiot. I didn't get any A*'s and I am bloody brilliant even if I do say so myself.

:yep: I second that statement, thrusting myself into the first-person subject of your verbs.

Exams can be limiting, if anything. :yum:
Silly, Silly, Silly, Silly, Silly!
Reply 52
clad in armour
jeeeeeeeeeeeeez, there just GCSE's, you can start to really worry when you reach A levels then you'll know all about being shattered

so we practically wasted 11 years of memorising xD since it isn't learning but being cultivated to a test paper.
that's ridiculous..your whole life is not gonna fall apart and go off track cos your GCSE results aren't outstanding..
Emily069

I second that, from what little I can deduce from your profile picture and profile in general, you appear brilliant :wink:
Reply 55
Profesh
Good riddance.

This, please proceed with your plan post haste and rid the world of your idiocy
Melting Sugar.
Cross that bridge when/if you get there, but seriously they are not the be all and end all :smile:

Yeah, I got pretty lame GCSE's and I this made me work harder at A-level. I'm now going for he top grades!

Just shows they aren't the be-all and end-all. They don't carve out what type of person you are. They don't indicate if you are clever. They just indicate how much you work. And if you get good grades in your a-levels they'll definately overlook your GCSE's.
Natural Selection at Work!
Andy the Anarchist
Lol, because GCSEs matter :rolleyes:

I got 2, for the record, so I should probably go kill myself now.

Same! :five:

*Goes off to buy some painkillers and vodka*
Reply 59
Whether they mean anything in the long term is dependent upon your aspirations. Of course, they are technically important for the base requirements to get into college, but this obviously isn't a problem for you. After that, they don't hold much significance unless you're applying for some really competitive courses (e.g. medicine) and/or for Oxbridge, where the average is around 4-8A*s. Obviously, they aren't the only factor, but they certainly do matter in such contexts. Having a significant numbers of A*s will increase your chances.

For me, my GCSE results were more about a prestige thing. I wasn't thinking too much about a career at the time, I just wanted to do the best I could do under the circumstances. Success or failure is relative to our goals, and if you don't meet them, you deserve to feel disappointed. Your original post might have been a slight exaggeration though:yes: . Best of luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending