Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone really, especially worried about english lang and lit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel like with these two subjects, I could get anything from a U to an A*, even though I really want the latter - it's like anything can happen with them, and I don't know if the examiners will have dismissed what I wrote as a piece of trash! Time was nasty on these exams too, and they're subjective, so I have no clue what I'll see on the result slip

Anyone else feel like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldlock)
    I feel like with these two subjects, I could get anything from a U to an A*, even though I really want the latter - it's like anything can happen with them, and I don't know if the examiners will have dismissed what I wrote as a piece of trash! Time was nasty on these exams too, and they're subjective, so I have no clue what I'll see on the result slip

Anyone else feel like this?

Yeah i just keep telling myself that they want to give yo as many marks as possible, not take them off you so as long as you put a few good points in there they won't mark you down for the rubbish around it

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i think it does depend quite a lot on your examiner, I was pretty much certain to get A* in Eng Lit at GCSE, but my descriptive piece in the exam was all about love and I realised after that s stereotypical male examiner might not really rate it. I got an A, but oh well, i wrote what I wanted to write and thats the important thing.

I don't know what you did at Eng Lit, but I did war, and I think its easier to say analytical things that anyone would agree with on a subject like that, so I wouldn't worry too much !

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I really couldn't care less about them.

I'd rather just get ready fr my ASs

ReputationRep:
    meh, not so much english lit as language, messed that one up, I started rambling about death following Heaney and his father around in the poetry section, and I just gave up in the non-fiction prose, most, heck all of my essay looked as though a three-year old had scrawled over it....

ReputationRep:
    well i completely mucked up my english lit
    i wrote absolute crap, crap i didnt even know i was capable of writing
    i keep thinking that maybe the examiner wont notice and give me decent marks
    but who am i kidding, really?

ReputationRep:
    You know on my lit, for the poems, I only wrote about two Heaneys and two pre 1914s, and didn't do Clarke, kinda scared, but the question said I could choose

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ridiculously so; I got like full marks for all the coursework, but in the exams I just panicked, had to write something, anything down, and thus came across as a complete moron (most probably)

ReputationRep:
    You won't get a U, trust.

Unless your answer was:

"SO DERE'S A POME, UM, YEAHHHHH, ABOUT DA SKY. TLKS BOUT HOW BLUE DA SKY IS INNIT".

ReputationRep:
    Been a few years since I sat them but after the exams I thought I'd got a B or C at GCSE Eng Lit and language.... I actually ended up with A*, A*. Just relax, GCSEs are really not hard and to be honest if you talked about a few techniques you're in the money. If you talked about a few more advanced techniques you've probably done excellent I.e pathetic fallacy, hyperbole, chiasmus, hendiadys, semantic fields, punch lines, litotes etc. Actually scratch that - you don't even need to mention the technique names, just say what the writer does and what effect it has on the text. Easy peasy. A Level Eng lit.. now there's a killer.

ReputationRep:
    Yesss
    not so mucn english lang
    but i deffo messed up eng lit :|..the poems essay ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Yes, ridiculously so; I got like full marks for all the coursework, but in the exams I just panicked, had to write something, anything down, and thus came across as a complete moron (most probably)
    Same here

ReputationRep:
    Yes - anything that is wholly focused on the writing is a hard one because you never trully know if you've done well or not. Also, I'm on the boundary of A/B so it could fall either way. In Year 10 all my coursework was at a high B but I redrafted and got A for them all so I'm hoping my writing skills have improved and I'll be able to get A for both - that's my goal anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Exam was awwwwful,if I don't get A* for English Lit I will be very upset It's my "subject",I'm not that good at anything else! I just wrote a load of crap spewing out technique names without much else which can't have been impressive

ReputationRep:
    I am just pissed off because every single english exam i did one really good one but then messed it up in the second part. I could end up with 2 A*s or missing out on them by a couple of marks

ReputationRep:
    yes, really really. its like the one subject im ever any good at, but the exams were stupidly hard

ReputationRep:
    I felt ridiculously ill during my english exams, and it being my worst subject i AM REALLY WORRIED about them considering i Need a C in lang or lit to do AS pshycology There the only 2 im really worried about tho the rest wernt too bad im SOOOOO confident about maths tbh

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about English Literature.

But Eng Lang? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    my coursework was an A for english lit and i did well in the first section but did hardly any thing for the poem section as i spent to long on the first section, is it still possible me to get at least a C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    You won't get a U, trust.

Unless your answer was:

"SO DERE'S A POME, UM, YEAHHHHH, ABOUT DA SKY. TLKS BOUT HOW BLUE DA SKY IS INNIT".

Oh ****! I knew i shouldn't have written that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.