Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I should have put this in the gaming section but I just needed a quick question answered rather than take a while to get it answered over there (move if it is a problem though and sorry).

A while back I got Sims 3 for my gf (now ex) but we broke up some time after and she gave it back (long story, I didn't ask for it). So anyway we don't talk anymore so I promised I'd give it to a friend cause she really likes Sims so rather give it to her who will enjoy it. Now my ex gave me back the case and it has the CD, the booklet and everything that came with it (I think) but is there any way to check if the serial number was used? Kinda got my friend's hopes up quite a bit saying I'd give it to her for free and I don't wanna give it to her for her to find out it's actually not gonna work.

ReputationRep:
    It'll work even if the serial number's been used before.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and if its not in there, just google for one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9.2)
    It'll work even if the serial number's been used before.
    Doesn't that mean like I could buy a game then give the SN to all my friends and we all can play it and so on with only one person buying it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kai4321)
    Doesn't that mean like I could buy a game then give the SN to all my friends and we all can play it and so on with only one person buying it?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryChan)
    lol
    Eh, could you explain what's so funny?

ReputationRep:
    No, as you all need disks...

Yes, you can use the serial number, it doesn't matter. It's the same on all EA games afaik

ReputationRep:
    There was something about the serial could only be used on 3 different computers, but I think they got rid of it so it's unlimited.

For the Sims [the only PC game I've used] you have to have the disk in the drive to run it so you couldn't share the game with your friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    No, as you all need disks...

Yes, you can use the serial number, it doesn't matter. It's the same on all EA games afaik
    So a million people can have it installed with the same SN - just only who has the CD can play?

Ok, so does that mean even if she installed it and so on I can give it to my friend and it'll work for her?

ReputationRep:
    the serial number should work, when i had sims 2 i have had to reinstall it countless times on my pc, you can usually generate a new serial number anyway...

ReputationRep:
    So a million people can have it installed with the same SN - just only who has the CD can play?

Ok, so does that mean even if she installed it and so on I can give it to my friend and it'll work for her?
    Yes, we've all said that to you. It'll work.

/thread

ReputationRep:

Yes.

The serial number can be used an infinite number of times. This isn't ALWAYS the case (contrary to what some people appear to me to have been suggesting) as some games like Mass Effect and Spore (both EA titles) rather infamously have ridiculously restrictive Digital Rights Management (DRM) which limits you to a very low number of installs (off the top of my head I think in those two cases it was 3 for Mass Effect and 5 for Spore), but much to the delight of many gaming fans EA announced a year ago that they weren't going to use limited-install DRM when they released Sims 3, so it's got the basic stuff that was used on Sims 2 and has worked for the best part of a decade.

You must have a Sims 3 DVD in your disc drive in order to play the game. It is not common for EA, but some publishers are nice and will release a patch for their game somewhere down the line that even removes the need for that, so that the only thing you need is the serial number when you install the game.

With Sims 3, you also need the serial number to register your copy on EA's website. If the serial number has been used already then I'm pretty sure you would not be able to register it and therefore you would not be able to get things such as the Riverview town which is a free download on the Sims 3 site to anyone who registers their copy

Does that adequately cover your questions?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I should have put this in the gaming section but I just needed a quick question answered rather than take a while to get it answered over there (move if it is a problem though and sorry).

A while back I got Sims 3 for my gf (now ex) but we broke up some time after and she gave it back (long story, I didn't ask for it). So anyway we don't talk anymore so I promised I'd give it to a friend cause she really likes Sims so rather give it to her who will enjoy it. Now my ex gave me back the case and it has the CD, the booklet and everything that came with it (I think) but is there any way to check if the serial number was used? Kinda got my friend's hopes up quite a bit saying I'd give it to her for free and I don't wanna give it to her for her to find out it's actually not gonna work.
    You can re-load it dw And your ex gf can't play it without the disc... so no problem tbh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.