Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mum's depressed , brothers an alcoholic. And I feel like I'm turning into a depressed teenager aswell. I don't get any money , all my friends have money go out and stuff , but I'm stuck inside. This is like a nightmare. I just feel so empty and worthless right now

ReputationRep:
    Chin up. It's never as bad as it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job.

ReputationRep:
    Phone the samaritans?

ReputationRep:
    Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    You have to learn how to make the best out of bad situations. Going for a walk etc doesn't cost anything, meeting up with your friends doesn't either.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Mum's depressed , brothers an alcoholic. And I feel like I'm turning into a depressed teenager aswell. I don't get any money , all my friends have money go out and stuff , but I'm stuck inside. This is like a nightmare. I just feel so empty and worthless right now
    I would seem (to me), you're taking more of an interest in your families lives and (perhaps) using it as an excuse for your demise.

I would have a little 'me' time. It may be hard, because they are your family. However, at times you have to do what is best for you.

I know going out can be expensive etc. But have you considered going for a walk to a local park? Or find a nice field that you can lie in and stare into the sky? I know it doesn't seem like it would help, but as long as you DON'T use that time to dwell on your family, and instead focus on the sky, you'll soon find it relieving.

I'm sure you're not worthless. It's a simple case of not knowing your worth. Not knowing your worth doesn't mean your worthless.

Have you considered looking for a job? I'm sure if you're committed, you'll probably be able to find a nice part time job

I know it can be hard. But you need to think of all those famous cases (not to mention those that didn't make it to the headlines), where they have come from a rather depressing family, and instead of letting it get them down they used it to their advantage and made something of themselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Get a job.
    THIS.
    Work hard to be better then them, use that as your determination.
    Just cuz you dont have money to go out doesnt mean its the end...my mum didnt even have enough money to feed me or herself

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.