Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For some odd reason im having struggle turning corners slowly. In my instructors car i was fine and i could turn slowly, now i cant in my own car. I go around too fast. Like i go down a gear early and then slowly bring up the clutch as i go around the corner, but yet im still fast. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say the obvious thing - use your brakes.

ReputationRep:
    get out and push it around?

ReputationRep:
    when i first read the title, i thought it was some reference to 'kerb-crawling' lol :p: and to answer the question, just give yourself enough space to turn, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    completely take your eyes off the road, and concentrate fully on your speedo, aiming for a certain speed.

how hard can it be

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be messing round with the clutch mid-corner as it unbalances the car and will mean you're not concentrating on the corner. Sounds like you need to brake earlier and change down a gear before you enter the corner. You shouldn't be anywhere near the clutch or brakes when going round the corner itself. So, brake, change down if required, turn to enter corner, slowly increase the throttle as you start to exit the corner. Scrub of all excess speed before and make sure you're in the right gear before the corner begins. No messing round with gears or brakes in the corner itself!

ReputationRep:
    Use your sodding brakes, its what they are there for...

ReputationRep:
    Bring the clutch up before you're even on the corner, you're leaving it too late. Also, use your breaks to slow yourself down to a safe speed whilst changing gear as using the gear to change the speed of the car, so I'm told, will damage the gear box quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    You shouldn't be messing round with the clutch mid-corner as it unbalances the car and will mean you're not concentrating on the corner. Sounds like you need to brake earlier and change down a gear before you enter the corner. You shouldn't be anywhere near the clutch or brakes when going round the corner itself. So, brake, change down if required, turn to enter corner, slowly increase the throttle as you start to exit the corner. Scrub of all excess speed before and make sure you're in the right gear before the corner begins. No messing round with gears or brakes in the corner itself!
    lol i guess my driving technique has gone down the ******* drain then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    lol i guess my driving technique has gone down the ******* drain then

I wouldn't worry about it, the post you quoted would be fine for going around corners such as stowe and the parabolica in a single seater but in real life thats overkill.

ReputationRep:
    IPSGA

information, position, speed gear, acceleration

Information - hazards and conflicts , restricted vision etc

Position where you are in the road

Speed , get down to your entry speed with enough time to change gear

Gear - select an appropriate gear for the corner

Acceleration control your speed through the corner with acceleration sense

if anyone wants to argue over brake - gear overlapping that's fine but it's the next stage of skill development and somewhat controversial still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    I wouldn't worry about it, the post you quoted would be fine for going around corners such as stowe and the parabolica in a single seater but in real life thats overkill.
    It's overkill on the basis that she's not going to be driving on the limit whereby a clutch dip or slight dab of the brakes is going to send her into a spin. But, on the basis that she feels she's going into the corner too fast, then completing the change and braking before the corner is still the best technique to use. She could brake and change gear mid-corner without consequence, but it's much easier for a beginner to have the braking and gears sorted before the corner, so that they can concentrate on just steering and observation. Plus, good habit to get into and all...

Edit: Zippy's got the right idea in the post above. Overkill maybe, but still the safest and most sensible way of doing it. Good old Roadcraft!

ReputationRep:
    roadcraft FTW!

ReputationRep:
    Like posters above have said, the correct brake pressure is important, as is not coasting, so bring up your clutch before the corner, not during. Remember that the car is a machine; it will only do what you tell it to do. It doesn't have a mind of its own.

If you're still struggling, try maintaining footbrake pressure during the gear downchange.

(Original post by zippyRN)
    roadcraft FTW!
    Indeed!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah what are you doing with the clutch just before the corner?

You should change down to second, quickly bring up the clutch (dont coast and mess about) then take the corner slowly. You should break before you change down to second or the car will lurch forward, in second with no revs you car should corner at junctions at the right speed.

ReputationRep:
    ZippyRN and Sync have it!
    It's not overkill to set your car to be stable before a corner and it becomes second nature after a while, making the cornering much more fun and more controlled.
    If you can't see far enough around the corner to be able to stop safely on your side of the road you're going too fast around the corner; doesn't mean always taking corners slowly, just safely. Safe can be fast, but we only go fast when it's safe.

Anyway, yeah, get to the right speed before the corner, get into gear and off the clutch before the corner and use enough revs to hold the speed steady and safely through the corner.

ReputationRep:
    Slow in, brisk through and flaw it out works well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.