Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when did you start realising your parents were getting old??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    whenever my parents make statements like 'the kids in your generation-la-la-la' or 'young people today...' or 'back in my day...', they just feel super old.

ReputationRep:
    A few times

- When they said "don't be so stupid, of course you were alive in the 80s"
    - When they started being soft
    - When they began forgeting everything
    - When they started talking about retiring in "15 years"
    - When mum started getting excited about growing veg and making jam
    - When I suddenly realised my mother knows absolutely everything to do with finance (that takes a lot of experience)

I just noticed everyone is saying how young their parents look. My mum is 46 and she looks really young for her age, even my friends noticed. Must be something in the water...

ReputationRep:
    You should check your Dad out for Alzheimers/dementia. Doing that sort of thing is classic signs of it.

And my Mum is 55 and my Dad would have been 71 so I think my Dad is old but my mum isn't.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Lol @ the people saying 'when my dad got a gray hair'. I can't remember my father ever NOT being completely gray.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are only 42 so I dont see them as old

ReputationRep:
    well my mum is 49 tommorrow and my dad is 66, so I knew he was old a long time ago xD

ReputationRep:
    my dad is 40 years older than me. my mum is 30 years older than me.

ReputationRep:
    i don't really think they are... they're 45 and 46
    my dad's new wife has just had a baby and my mum, well i wouldn't say she acted old...
    i think my dad's new kid will think he's old when they are 18 though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I was in Year 7 and a friend pointed out that my grandad was waiting for me. It was my dad. :sad:
    the best answer here!

ReputationRep:
    I never realised my parents were old until my mum was diagnosed with a muscle disorder and chronic arthritis, she is 47, my dad is 50. It upsets me as Im 24 and will be 28 by the time I leave uni. Also by the time Ive settled down and had children, its upsetting to think they may never meet their grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought my parents were old! They had me wen my mum was 34 and my dad was 37 even though I am the first. They were always too tired to play with me and my sister in comparison to my younger aunts and uncles. I've never thought of them as young at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    WTF is wrong with those people disrespecting your mum, i hope you gave them a beating.
    I think she did. Thats how they knew

ReputationRep:
    When my dad turned 50 and when he went almost completely grey.

ReputationRep:
    For all those saying since they've been interested in gardening etc..my parents always have been! I can't even remember how old they are..

ReputationRep:
    Im 17, my parents are 31 and 33. They are not ageing yet/
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ADotC)
    Im 17, my parents are 31 and 33. They are not ageing yet/
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    My parents had kids later in life. Mum was 32 when I was born ( and I"m the eldest) and Dad was 33. I cant say I"ve ever known my Mum to have anything other than grey hair. Some people at primary school used to think she was my Nan!!. I realised they were getting old when they had both retired by the age of 60.Not long after they also began to suffer with their health steadily declining....

Now I"m the one with greying hair.....maybe my kids think I"m old .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    :rofl:
    what..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADotC)
    what..
    Your parents are younger than I am!.They must have had you when they were very young.

ReputationRep:
    when i walked in on them both air guitaring to the song rockstar, it was so sad lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.