Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when did you start realising your parents were getting old??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    today my dad wasat the filling station putting petrol in his car and after that instead of going into the kiosk to pay, he randomly just came in, sat in the car and turned on the ignition, ready to leave.. i was like dad erm aren't u going to pay and he was like oh **** lool.. i was in bits and the woman at the pump next to us shouted ' i think hes getting a little old dont you' lol.. at that moment i noticed his little greys and went damn he is getting old..

so erm yeah im putting it to tsr.. when did you start realising your parents were getting old
    haha true, mine happened when my parents needed glasses to find their reading glasses to read the damned newspaper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    haha true, mine happened when my parents needed glasses to find their reading glasses to read the damned newspaper!

hahahahahaha.. best reply of the day...

ReputationRep:
    My parents have been "getting old" for ages ...
    Dad's been retired for ages (though he did come out of retirement), and gets a pension.
    He still acts like a child!

Now I'm not getting old (as in being about to draw a pension), but I'm definitely not a child any more.
    ... but my parents still haven't realised that either! :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    when i realised it's their 30th wedding anniversary next year

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my dad's old at all, but he does.
    The other day he was like "I've come to the age where I think I should take up a hobby...like golf.."
    and i was like er... you're 43....

However he is regurlarly seen lazing about the house in a Hugh Heffner style gown...

ReputationRep:
    I've always seen mine as quite old. My mum was 40 when I was born, and my dad was 45, so now that I'm 17, they're 57 and 62 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is 35, so I definitely don't consider her old. But my dad is 38 and he is probably not old, but he is old-fashioned, just some of the stuff he says or does just makes him seem 10 years older.

When my Dad got told he had high blood pressure and arthritis in another set of joints. Then my mum decided appropriate conversation in a car journey home from work was how my dad was older than his parents were when they died.

ReputationRep:
    When they started getting really soft.

More so when my older brother who's 28 had his first child with his wife. My rents are like 54 and 52 now (divorced years ago)

(Original post by FunkyFabulous)
    Also by the time Ive settled down and had children, its upsetting to think they may never meet their grandchildren.
    This is the only thing I'm worried about really. It'll be a few years until I have kids, and though I don't really want to think about it, my dad used to chain smoke like there is no tomorrow and even though he's cut down by a lot nowadays, you just never know. Both of his parents died quite early, so I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see my Dad all that much and when I do he always likes to 'impress' me, and he's quite young at heart... My Mum is pretty similar however in the last year or so she ALWAYS comes up to me with a packet or something and says 'what do the instructions say? I can't read them! Its so small!'

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my mum's old, she's quite active for her age (45). My dad's 50 and the first time I noticed he was 'old' was when he was laughing and his laughs turned into coughs

ReputationRep:
    When I realised that in 20 years she will be almost 70.

My dad died at 38, so he'll never be old.

ReputationRep:
    When they have to where glasses for everything my god that is annoying......and they have like 3/4 pairs one for each room....rather amusing. I love it how my dad has to get safety prescription glasses.....he works in a lab...

ReputationRep:
    when i noticed that my dad had a grey nose-hair :emo:

ReputationRep:
    just now, after reading this! good lord, i need to go warn them.

ReputationRep:
    Once a man thought my dad was my grandad

My friend's mum was shocked when I told her how old she was when she had me.

They've always been old xP

ReputationRep:
    When I have to repeat things 3 times to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    You should check your Dad out for Alzheimers/dementia. Doing that sort of thing is classic signs of it.

And my Mum is 55 and my Dad would have been 71 so I think my Dad is old but my mum isn't.
    What? It's classic signs of general old age. Since there is really nothing you can do at the early stages of Alzheimers, there would be little point in getting 'diagnosed' for it unless you want to make yourself particularly depressed. Awful advice. Get out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    my mom got a grey hair
    What the heck is up with you sig :eyebrow:

I noticed when my mum was old when she told me her age.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my mum is old, she's 46, but she looks a lot younger and has a cheeky disposition. my friends' parents seem old.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.