Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when did you start realising your parents were getting old??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I asked them their age for the first time :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    What? It's classic signs of general old age. Since there is really nothing you can do at the early stages of Alzheimers, there would be little point in getting 'diagnosed' for it unless you want to make yourself particularly depressed. Awful advice. Get out.
    There would as it would help prevent it by taking pills etc. It's also classic signs of dementia.

You can't just put your head in the sand and ignore whats going on around you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    There would as it would help prevent it by taking pills etc. It's also classic signs of dementia.

You can't just put your head in the sand and ignore whats going on around you.
    Nonsense. There is no proven preventative medication for Alzheimers. Please tell me in what way a diagnosis of Alzheimers would improve your quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense. There is no proven preventative medication for Alzheimers. Please tell me in what way a diagnosis of Alzheimers would improve your quality of life.
    There are pills for it. You can get professional care and help for said person. You know if they say something to you that might be upsetting that it is the illness and it's not really them. You can spend more time with someone before they get worse.

ReputationRep:
    When my mum got her bus pass.
    LOL. Oh the joys of old parents.

ReputationRep:
    There are pills for it. You can get professional care and help for said person. You know if they say something to you that might be upsetting that it is the illness and it's not really them. You can spend more time with someone before they get worse.
    You seem to be missing the point. Putting a name to it doesn't suddenly make it something different. You don't need a diagnosis to know if someone needs more care. There are pills which alleviate symptoms in some patients, but there is no preventative medication.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be missing the point. Putting a name to it doesn't suddenly make it something different. You don't need a diagnosis to know if someone needs more care. There are pills which alleviate symptoms in some patients, but there is no preventative medication.
    Exactly.

And putting a name to it does make it slightly better. You know that it is the illness that is making them do what they are doing and it is not really them. And you also no their health will deteriorate so you know you have to spend time with them before it will be too late.

ReputationRep:
    When my Mum told me the highlight of her holiday was having a cream tea.

And she brought me back a pot of jam. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.

And putting a name to it does make it slightly better. You know that it is the illness that is making them do what they are doing and it is not really them. And you also no their health will deteriorate so you know you have to spend time with them before it will be too late.
    After you've known someone for however many years, you don't need a diagnosis to know that they are not being themselves. You don't know that they will deteriorate; some people with Alzheimer's die with no major deterioration. Besides, it's all very nice in theory saying that you will spend more time with them, but in practice it just doesn't happen like that. It isn't like being told that you have 6 months to live, it's just being told that there is a strong possibility that the symptoms you are experiencing now will get worse some time in the future; you have no idea at what rate.

ReputationRep:
    They aren't, they're 40. My mum always dances about singing Single Ladies, and my dad likes Kanye West, Calvin Harris and actually buys Pussycat Dolls singles. When we go to London in a few days I'm babysitting my brother in a hotel room while they go and watch U2. It's part depressing, part fun.

ReputationRep:
    Classic FM obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForGreatJustice)
    I think she did. Thats how they knew
    with a stick i hope

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.