Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how people just do indoor rowing competitively...

ReputationRep:
    How ??? Well you get on a indoor rowing machine.... and all the participants distance, time is all shown via a linked screen in the venue....

ReputationRep:
    You missed my point you tool.

Whats your 2k? 30min? 5k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keith Lemon)
    I have no idea how people just do indoor rowing competitively...
    Same. When a fast 2k is the ultimate end goal of all your training, you know something is wrong. It's like being someone who exercise bikes competetively.

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, I've rowed for a year now-I'm just about to go into upper sixth, so not at uni yet. Rowed at Henley in June. Most of what's been said is good. But some of it isn't so great.

Firstly, on an ergo, being heavy is very beneficial, as your weight gives you a 'sack of potato' effect. ie. You throw back that weight and your split lowers. However, this does not translate to water, as on an ergo there is no extra dead weight in the boat. In a boat you want to be as strong as possible while remaining as light as possible. At big regattas you will see loads of guys who are well over 100kg and rowing, but if you look at the olympic squads most of them are between 90-95kg, normally 6'2-6'4 (in crew boats) with some guys going up to 100kg. The thing is though, strength-wise they tend to be nowhere near as strong as olympic rowers.

What you need to aim for are muscles than can walk the walk, even if you don't look huge. This may sound weird as surely big muscles = strength. What I've learned though is many of these guys have big frames, are carrying too much fat and they are fundamentally pretty weak. As you get stronger you will pile on the weight, but every kg needs to be productive.

So for training. You need to focus on getting that bench press, squat, bent over rower and deadlift numbers through the roof. Get on a protein powder, drink milk and eat a lot. Yes, get big. But don't become the incredible hulk through tricks of the light.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.