Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

heres my situation... ive always been an average person academically when it comes to education tho i am very bright. in my gcse i got all 8c 2b and 1a...and in my Alevels i got CCDc in chem comp bio n soc. tbh i never really cared about education and always use 2 revise 1 night before the exam and didn't really try hard at all as i wasn't motivated at home and because i didnt have a set career path with a goal and ambition in life, i just took every day as it came really. i was very active sportwise so concentrated on playin all sports (football tennis cricket tabletennis badminton squash you name it...no extreme sports tho) and im pretty good in all of them.

when i was in college i was confused wat 2 apply for in uni so i applied for biomedical sciences (at dundee) as it would leave my career options open in the future and was accepted and am currently passed my second yr with a 2.2 and am predicted to get a 2.1

having thought more about a career i would like to study dentistry now and ive done 2 weeks work exp shadowing a dentist and it was brilliant however academically on paper from my past i don't think i would stand a chance with those grades. i know you can apply for post-grad dentistry but the competition is really tough and the places limited...what should i do as im so adamant on becoming a dentist now???

-apply this year and "HOPE" a miracle happens
    -take a gap year gain more experience and then apply
    -apply for dental hygiene / therapy and then try and apply for denistry after that (would be in education for 10 yrs 3yr biomed 3yr dental hyg 4 yr dent and payin debt back all my life)

ReputationRep:
    Dentistry is very competitive to get into even if you have a 2.1

They may look at your previous grades and think you are not academically capable of Dentistry.

It is a pretty intense course so you have to think will you be able to keep up with the work, cope with stress, etc?

There is nothing wrong with taking a gap year and gaining more experience but in your situation I would probably go for the hygiene/therapy option.

They are both very good careers and you will be an important part of the dental team.

Good luck what ever you do but for now I suggest intense research.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick reply and advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.