Turn on thread page Beta

Which religious state would you most like to live under? watch

• View Poll Results: Which religious state would you most like to live under?
    Christian
    36.04%
    Voodoo
    2.03%
    Islamic
    11.68%
    Jewish
    2.03%
    Hindu
    2.54%
    Rastafarian
    5.58%
    Baha'i
    1.52%
    Zoroastrian
    0.51%
    Buddhist
    29.44%
    Taoist
    1.02%
    Wiccan
    7.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lieux)
    None. An atheist state? :awesome:
    this

Hindu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Hindu.
    Good boy

ReputationRep:
    Prolly say Buddhist as I don't know too much about most of them! From what I do know it seems nice and peaceful

ReputationRep:
    Christian. Just live a life of sin and then repent just before you have your hip replacement, catch MRSA and kick the bucket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusTheEskimo)
    Because of course, buddhism is the only religion that offers inner peace. :rolleyes:

What's with all the people jumping on the buddhist bandwagon? It seems to be the "trendy" religion nobody knows a thing about.
    I want to get to nirvana.

It's seems like a very calm and moderate religion also. Anti materialistic as well which I like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steed999)
    I think people have the misconception that Buddhism is peaceful lol. Buddhists ave there fair share of violence and ********. Buddhism is also a religion about "me, me, me" and dosnt take into consideration society and community!
    This entire post is woefully inaccurate/made of failsauce. I am the first to clear up the misconception of Buddhism as an entirely peaceful religion-Buddhist Warrior Monks, Zen Buddhist Samurai, Sri Lankan civil war etc etc. I do not deny that. However, it is true that, out of all of the major religions in the world, there has been less blood shed in the name of Buddhism than any other. Furthermore, Buddhism is one of the more tolerant faiths of homosexuality and similar ideas frowned upon by most religions (not entirely tolerant, mind you, but often moreso than a lot of religions).

The second part of your post is the really inaccurate part, and it actually made me giggle a bit Buddhism teaches that a belief in the ego and attempts to satisfy that ego's desires for happiness and avoidance of that which harms it are key causes of suffering. The Buddhist doctrine of 'not-self' or anatta is that 'we' are made up of constantly changing phenomena and thus lack any permanent identity. Thus, saying Buddhism is all about "me, me, me" is quite funny, from a Buddhist perspective

Furthermore, Buddhist morality and ethics (the foundation of the Path to Enlightenment) involves people getting on well with each other, doing good deeds, and so on and so forth. Buddhist society revolves around an interdependence between the laypeople and the monastic order. The monks rely on the laypeople for alms, and the laypeople rely on the monks and nuns for spiritual teaching etc. Plus, because Buddhism is quite tolerant, all faiths would be welcome and equal in such a country.

cheers

GJ

ReputationRep:
    I voted Rastafarian.

However theocracies interest me. I wrote a (fairly long) short story for my English classes at secondary school set in a theocratic Christian Britain, essentially one where the Stewarts had remained on the Throne and the Glorious Revolution had never occurred.

Ba'hai by far.

The whole religion emphasizes tolerance and acceptance of other faiths and the impossiblity of being the "true believer" or the "correct follower"; ie, they emphasize dualism and criticize the "one way" approach.

ReputationRep:
    christian init
    isn't britain a christian country? if it is, i don't even notice it, and there's nice churches which are pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I was going to say Buddhist but I'm sure many aggressively inclined individuals would take advantage of the system.
    I think you're mistaking the word "Buddhist" for "pushover"

cheers

GJ

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism, don't really know why though.

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism for the peace, Rastafarianism for the weed and tasty Jamaican food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    If someone starts acting violently in the community, are you saying that some Buddhists would breach the tenet of ahimsa?
    Buddhists do not have a tenet of ahimsa, per se. That is a fundamental part of Jainism, but not of Buddhism. Buddhism condemns the taking of a sentient life and violence. However, it does not completely rule out the possibility of a defensive war, nor of punishment for wrongdoing. If someone was acting violently in the community, then presumably the Buddhist police would arrest them. Possibly using their Buddhist superpowers:cool:

EDIT: Obviously, I am not speaking for all Buddhists here. This is merely my interpretation. (Perhaps including the superpowers...?)

cheers

GJ

ReputationRep:
    Rastafarianism, mon.

I'm assuming this is some sort of parallel universe where level of technological progress and standard of living are equal.

ReputationRep:
    Christian, because it's proven that it works having a de jure Christian state (or at least partially) that is de facto non-religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    christian init
    isn't britain a christian country? if it is, i don't even notice it, and there's nice churches which are pretty.
    Thanks for the neg rep, may I ask how my post was "irrelevant"?
    I answered the thread question perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Indeed that's your own interpretation, and possibly for other Buddhists too. However most Buddhists I've discussed with believe that ahimsa should be adhered to under all circumstances. But thanks for your reply.
    That is strange, because the term ahimsa is not mentioned anywhere in Buddhist canon. What they are probably referring to is the First precept, abstention from taking sentient life. No aspect of Buddhist morality is absolute-you are not 'thrown out' of Buddhism for breaking one of the precepts, or not adhering closely enough to the Eightfold Path. The Dalai Lama himself has said that war, in some circumstances, can be used as a last resort.

However: "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who harbour such thoughts hatred is not appeased.

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred is appeased.

Hate is not overcome by hate; by Love alone is hate appeased. This is an eternal law.

The others know not that in this quarrel we perish; those of them who realise it, have their quarrels calmed thereby. (Dhammapada, Chapter 1)

Violence isn't the answer. (What was the question?)

cheers

GJ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lieux)
    Thanks for the neg rep, may I ask how my post was "irrelevant"?
    I answered the thread question perfectly fine.
    title says which religious state would you most like to live under, atheism isn't a religion.

athiesm isn't an option.

in the original post, it specifically says "Assuming you were in some way forced to choose"

s'annoying how atheism has to pop into everything even when it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Christian mos probably.

Back when Britain was rigidly Christian it was pretty oppressive (but better than the islamic states have it now)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.