Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys, when you have kids, do you want your wife to work? Watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Savahl)
    as stated in another thread, if we have kids, my hubby has offered to be the one to stay at home to look after kids... I would expect him to go back to work once the kids are older though!
    That certainly makes the most sense, if the woman has the better career. But few men would think of that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    The whole "Saved by the Bell" crew. That used to be jokes.
    Let's talk about Saved by the Bell.

I like the one where Jessie took caffeine pills. Really showed the acting range of Elizabeth Berkeley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    No.

She needs to look after the child as well as continue her other duties such as cleaning, cooking, washing and being prepared to have sex when I want. No time for work..
    http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...nite/robbb.gif
    Hmm, I like your POV though.. you could be right.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Well if she is staying at home of course she should be doing the majority of the work, after all if you're only income is from the husband he is paying for her to live in his house, buy her food, buy her clothes, pay for holidays etc etc etc

Of course I understand that they are a couple and everything but it would be pretty unfair if you expected him to go out and work so he can pay for everything and then also expect him to do half of the housework and cooking.

With regards to childcare of course the Father is going to want to be involved with that as much as possible, I can't imagine many people who wouldn't want to be part of their childs upbringing.

I'm not saying the wife SHOULD be staying at home, that's really up to her but if she decides to, then it's wrong to expect the husband to be the only source of income and still do half of the work in the home.
    Re-read the question you just attempted to answer...

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetically speaking, if I ever want kids (which is about as likely as me becoming an astronaut) the man will be staying at home looking after the small devils whilst I bring home the bacon :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    screw that she can work and i'll be a house husband.
    what is it like 2 hours work a day, leaves plenty of time for COD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    Let's talk about Saved by the Bell.

I like the one where Jessie took caffeine pills. Really showed the acting range of Elizabeth Berkeley.

What was the name of the coach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Re-read the question you just attempted to answer...
    Ahah, thanks for that =P I edited my post.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? Haven't given it a moments thought yet...I'm only 18 ffs :eek: Not like I'm going to meet my future wife in the next year or so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nooptheloop)
    I take it that the guys who say yes are planning to do half of the childcare and housework too, rather than just leaving that to the woman and also expecting her to work and cook for you?
    This. If we're promoting equality, we better promote it well. I would support and help my partner; so shared childcare, tasks and responsibilities regarding household etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could find meaning in my life if all I did was cook, clean and look after children. I literally couldn't do it. I'd prefer to be single.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    No.

She needs to look after the child as well as continue her other duties such as cleaning, cooking, washing and being prepared to have sex when I want. No time for work..
    Wouldn't you like to share the household chores, and look after your child together....and shouldn't having sex be a mutual decision - not just when you want..

ReputationRep:
    I would probably want to work, but I can see that its good to spend lots of time with your children rather than sticking them in a nursery. So, I'd probably come to some sort of arrangement! At the end of the day, it doesnt matter who stays at home as long as they are happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    As long as she does her duty as a woman then it's all cool.

ReputationRep:
    We're gonna start trying for a baby next year, and have agreed that cos I earn more money I'll work full time and my husband will stay at home, then go back part-time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    That certainly makes the most sense, if the woman has the better career. But few men would think of that...
    He is a retail manager, which doesnt pay brilliantly well considering the amount of work he puts in, and he is very good at his job, I am an engineering manager, and once i gain chartership my salary should jump a fair amount (if i play my cards right). But your right few men would think about that, as it is traditionally the man who is the bread winner.

Most of my colleagues have said they would have major issues if their wives earned so much more than them! Pride thing i think

ReputationRep:
    I'd go on maternity leave but then go back to work... Hoping to have my own practice so might be able to have the child at work with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nooptheloop)
    I take it that the guys who say yes are planning to do half of the childcare and housework too, rather than just leaving that to the woman and also expecting her to work and cook for you?
    Hell no, my better half can't cook to save her life *smirks* But maybe I'll teach her some day. Come to think of it, I'm also tidier than her. My dad also did his fair share of looking after me and my siblings/the house when he was young...

So stop generalising
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's a silly question because a hypothetical like that cannot be answered - it's obviously going to depend on a great many factors

a) what is the man's job?
    b) was the woman previously working before having the baby?
    c) can the couple afford childcare?
    d) would either the man or woman prefer to stay at home with the baby or go to work?
    e) what is the couple's opinion on a young child being left with a childminder/creche? Is it something they are in favour of, or do they feel that the child is better with the parents?

You can't just say "guys do you want your wife to work?" because it's a daft question. There are so many variables.

My own personal opinion is that if it can be avoided, then it's better for young children to be with their parents. Second to that would be a close family member. I don't like the idea of babies in creches unless absolutely necessary.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm female, but if I ever had kids (unlikely, but hey), I'd be a housewife.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.