Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter if you join groups and things at school? Does it give you a better chance of getting accepted into university? Or does it come down to your grades at the end of the day?

ReputationRep:
    It is mainly grades, but having said that the vast majority of people I know at uni have some sort of extra-curricular activity. You should consider doing something, especially a sport, as it is very useful to have a distraction from work which can clear your head, as well as being a way to meet people at uni.

ReputationRep:
    It would help when applying to something like medicine but for most degrees I don't think it will matter too much, although, part of going to university is mixing with people and being able to join societies and clubs so being part of something in the first place can't hurt any.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. My boyfriend's only interest was going to the football and he got into uni.

Of course, it does help in more competitive uni courses.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's important with Medicine to have relevant extra-curriculars and work exp, but I don't know about any other courses really :\

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.