Turn on thread page Beta

Being addicted to sex watch

Announcements

Over the last six months, I've started to sleep around quite a bit. I was in a relationship for a bit, which was fine, and I had no problem being faithful.

The only problem is that when I have a night out (when I'm single) I seem to consider the night a waste if I don't end up having sex. It's gotten to the point where I can't control myself when I go out. There's always some guy who's into me, and we just always end up in bed together, even if I don't REALLY want it.

It's not about the sex; it's not like I NEED it. It's just that when I pull a guy, I consider it a waste if it doesn't lead to sex. I know it's bad for my health, and I've started to feel really disgusted with myself.

Last night I went out and told myself that I wouldn't get involved with any guy. I ended up doing so anyway, and had sex with him too. That was when I realised I actually can't control it.

I took a self assessment test for sexual addiction earlier today and it came back with an 'indication that addiction is there'. It's not consuming my life, but it means I always end up embarrassed and disgusted with myself on nights out. I don't want to stay at home, but its gotten to the point where I'm scared to go out. I don't even need too much alcohol for me do it.

Has anyone else gone through a similar thing? If so, how did you deal with it? I don't want to go to a GP or therapist.

ReputationRep:
    A girl being addicted to sex...don't see many of those around these days :no:

Um, this "some guy" - maybe you should just get with him for permanent and if he agrees, you could have all the sex you want. Alternatively, use a vibrator to quell those sexual urges.

Get a **** buddy. Whenever you feel the urge, just call.

ReputationRep:
    Are you my ex? We broke up a year ago, since then she's turned into a whore.

ReputationRep:
    why not masterbate

ReputationRep:
    Get a 'friend with benefits'.....whenever you need him

ReputationRep:
    How many guys have you ended up sleeping with like this?? It's not very safe, maybe you just need a secure loving relationship to calm you down. At least get a f*** buddy so you're only with one person..

Do you think there's a specific reason why you've become addicted to sex over the last six months?

Thanks for the replies.

Masturbation doesn't really help, as it's not about the pleasure, or any cravings...it's just wanting to be intimate with someone.

Jinxy- I've slept with 9 guys over the last 6 months, but not all were casual. I've not been going out as much, to prevent myself from sleeping with more people. It was only bad in the beginning when I was sleeping with someone new every weekend. It's just not like me to do that.

The f**k buddy thing won't work, as I get emotionally attached and would want more. I think what it is is I want to be intimate with someone, but as I haven't found anyone to be in a long-term relationship with, the casual sex is an easy way to get that.

I know I should just wait until I meet someone special, but the problem here is that I just can't control myself when I'm out and pull. It's like the whole point of me going out.

Sleekchic- It started after my mum told me that at university she began to sleep around, and also had an affair when she was just newly married to my dad. It turned out it was a symptom of manic depression and she had to be hospitalized. It was a huge shock when she told me, and changed my views about my mum a lot. I sometimes wonder if I've got the same thing, but apart from the sleeping around, there's no other symptoms like mood swings, etc.

ReputationRep:
    if you've only slept with 9 guys in six months, there's no way you're addicted to sex.
    it is probably just that you want the attention and closeness.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had yourself checked out for STIs and such? Just saying you can never be too careful..

OP why don't you go and see somebody to talk to them about your problems, a professional stranger who you know won't be judging you.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Sleekchic- It started after my mum told me that at university she began to sleep around, and also had an affair when she was just newly married to my dad. It turned out it was a symptom of manic depression and she had to be hospitalized. It was a huge shock when she told me, and changed my views about my mum a lot. I sometimes wonder if I've got the same thing, but apart from the sleeping around, there's no other symptoms like mood swings, etc.
    I agree with Noemie, 9 guys in 6 months does not and really should not count as a sexual addiction.

So are you "sleeping around" because you're trying to prove a point to your mum or to rebel or because you need/want the attention from guys.

ReputationRep:
    Could it be that you might miss your old boyfriend? Maybe you're lacking a bit in the area of emotional intimacy and are trying to replace it with physical intimacy? It's kind of a normal think to do, in a way. Quite frankly, though, not on that level. I advise you to stop going out for a while. Maybe it's just a habit, and that's all. Maybe the only way to break it is to stay in for a while, or only go out during the days, but not to fraternize with guys. Then, maybe go the next step up once you feel your habit has been broken and go out at night, but resist as best you can if temptation occurs. You were right, it is bad for your health, and I hate seeing people get sick with something like that at a young age.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.