Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government and Politics A-Level should be a A2 subject (i.e. more respected) /protest Watch

BTW: if you have just entered this thread just to insult/spam/troll, I will report your posts.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Now, this post may be a little misinformed, and I'm sorry for that.

But anyways I was shocked to see Politics A-level being a B subject, i.e. apparently has limited suitability for the Arts courses.

Personally, I don't think it's fair as by judging from the replies of other posters and looking at some AS and A2 level textbooks, it should be moved up!

I mean, can anyone tell me why Politics A-level is seen by Trinity College Cambridge as "not as good" as History, Classical Civilisation and Philosophy? Just because it's a "new" subject, doesn't mean it should be a B subject. In fact, if the answer is "it's a new subject", well, it's not even a new subject! Even with my limited knowledge of Politics, it's been around for years, for centuries, in fact Democracy, apparently was "designed" by the Ancient Greeks. It's a subject all to do with power and prominence etc.

And tbh, after looking at a past paper, and comparing with a History paper, they both look "just" as hard. They both look equally demanding and tbh they should both be of the same worth. It's not fair!

And politics, isn't that just history but with some bits taken off? Of course, this is a huge, hyped-up generalisation and please don't quote me up on that.

Tbh, there's many other reasons why it should be a A2 subject, however it's quite hard putting "pen to paper", but I hope you can get the gist of my reasons of why it should be it.

Also, generally speaking I agree with practically everything Trinity College Cambridge says about the Acceptable A-level combinations, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this one. If anything, if I had the choose between Politics and History A-level, I would choose, without a shadow of a doubt, Politics A-level. I don't care what Trinity College says, because it should be the same worth. I mean, generally speaking, most people are clueless about Politics, e.g. me, so this is probably one of the reasons why I would study it.

Now this may should contradictory on the fact that I said "I don't care what Trinity College says", but I still state the fact it should be a A2 subject. I'm sure you'd agree with me, but of course some don't.

Tbh, I respect people that do Politics A-level on this forum, as much as the next person is taking History A-level.

I believe Politics should be an A2 subject. You may say "who cares?" "take what you want", but the point is, Trinity College doesn't look at Politics A-level in the same light as it does with History. I'm shocked by that.

Tbh, even in this forum Politics is not regarded as high as History and Classical Civilisation. Can anyone tell me why?

Opinions?

Once again, I'm sorry for the ambiguity in this post, it's just it's really hard to explain imo, but I hope you can see what I'm trying to point out.

ReputationRep:
    im so academic, this is ONE college in ONE university... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    and looking at some AS and A2 level textbooks,
    You can't judge them, you're in Year 9 or something
    In fact, if the answer is "it's a new subject", well, it's not even a new subject! Even with my limited knowledge of Politics, it's been around for years, for centuries, in fact Democracy, apparently was "designed" by the Ancient Greeks.
    Just because Politics has been around a long time, doesn't mean it's academic study has (your statement is akin to saying that Sociology isn't a new subject as it's existed as long as humans have existed)
    And tbh, after looking at a past paper, and comparing with a History paper, they both look "just" as hard. They both look equally demanding and tbh they should both be of the same worth. It's not fair!
    You can't judge that, you're in Year 9 or something

(Original post by Xerophelistica)
    im so academic, this is ONE college in ONE university... :facepalm:
    Oh... :erm:

But still, the principle stands. It still looks as if in general it's not as respected as other Arts subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I do politics as well as all three other subjects you mentioned ( and another ) and it is definately as hard and should be as respected. As well as the timing is a mark a minute on the board I'm doing and that's for essay style questions. (runs off and hides about the probable exam result in said subject).

ReputationRep:
    I found Politics to be just as hard as History. Unfortunately your highly aggravating overuse of 'tbh' somewhat blinded me to your argument.

ReputationRep:
    Oh... :erm:

But still, the principle stands. It still looks as if in general it's not as respected as other Arts subjects.
    Maybe I was a little dismissive. I do think that list is a fairly accurate description of what most top universities are looking for, but I wouldn't use it to tell you which A Levels are hard, but instead use it to see which A Levels you would most impress them by studying.

I say the same thing about Law A Level. People tell me it's difficult, and it probably is, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of universities don't care for it. In the end you have to play their game and study the subjects they suggest if you want to maximise your chances of going there.

ReputationRep:
    I did both as A levels this year and I'd say I found Politics slightly easier but that's maybe because I was more interested in it, had a better teacher for it and already knew some of it. They seem pretty similar to me, really and it seems silly for them to be classed differently but like someone else already said, it's only one college at one university so it's no big deal.

Hell, for History and Politics at Oxford, they recommend History, Politics and Sociology for A levels.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under..._politi_1.html

See?

ReputationRep:
    Ha! I did all the subjects you mentioned. Guess I'm OK then

EDIT: Politics is kinda easy.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Take what you want?

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself my A level in Politics and easily got an A, whereas i struggled to get my A in History. It's a piece of piss tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I had to pick a 4th AS for next year and the head of the arts and humanities faculty told me that I probably wouldn't enjoy Gov. and Pol. despite having an interest in politics.

He explained that while it's an interesting subject area it leaves very little room for free thought and is mostly just learning about how the systems work and a rough history of how they came to be. I think I'm doing Religious Studies instead.

ReputationRep:
    11 of those A2 subjects are languages, that's obscene. I took politics because I understood it to be more respected than Drama as an academic subject - and certainly at least as respected as Economics which isn't offered by my sixth form.

I think it just helps to perpetuate the idea that politics is easy, so thickies/less academically able people keep taking it, so the grade boundaries are always lower, making people think that politics is easy.. etc etc.

ah well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrkn)
    I had to pick a 4th AS for next year and the head of the arts and humanities faculty told me that I probably wouldn't enjoy Gov. and Pol. despite having an interest in politics.

He explained that while it's an interesting subject area it leaves very little room for free thought and is mostly just learning about how the systems work and a rough history of how they came to be. I think I'm doing Religious Studies instead.
    Funnily enough, I just read the list and English Language is a B subject.

I'm taking that out of necessity and was given exactly the same warning about it. They don't promote the kind of further thinks and conceptual advancement as the other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    i totally agree, especially as something like welsh is A2...i mean youd find it hard to find a more pointless subject than welsh.. :/

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Who cares? Take what you want?
    This.

ReputationRep:
    The reason it's a limited suitability is because Govt & Politics is a very narrow subject. On the other hand history is a bit more broad as it could work in conjunction with several other subjects. Politics is also not a difficult subject ... a bit of reading and having a skill at essay-writing most people could easily pass it with at least a C.

I do Politics and was pissed when I did see it, but I do understand why it's ranked alongside Sociology ... which I also did... Let's say trinity would not like my A level choices to say the least!

ReputationRep:
    Since most politicians are greedy, dishonest, scheming, power mad and in most cases a waste of space, the study of them should be of marginal interest to any sensible person and Trinity seems to agree.

ReputationRep:
    Science and technology make the world go round. All we need is science, maths, and technology.

Politics just complicates things and sticks a spanner in the works

Aaaaargh /incoming negrep

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I do Politics, History and English (all edexcel) and think they are all equally as hard and it should be more respected.
    I think it depends on the exam board though....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.