Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't want obvious answers like not working hard enough etc.
    I'm interested in the 'psychology' of it.
    Do u have a personal story why u failed?
    Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about exams or just life in general?

ReputationRep:
    no tenacity, thats why the most successful people are the most tenacious

ReputationRep:
    Define 'fail'

ReputationRep:
    Because life hates them usually

ReputationRep:
    People use personnal reasons as an excuse. (Not all of them but if its serious like your a carer for someone goverment offer to help) So i guess its your own fault for failing.

But it could be your teachers fault. We had two science teachers last year one we learned loads of. The other was #### and dident learn a thing.

ReputationRep:
    There's no failure - only feedback.

That really applies to everthing whether it be exams or life in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimyan)
    People use personnal reasons as an excuse. (Not all of them but if its serious like your a carer for someone goverment offer to help) So i guess its your own fault for failing.

But it could be your teachers fault. We had two science teachers last year one we learned loads of. The other was #### and dident learn a thing.
    Your English teacher didn't do such a good job either.

ReputationRep:
    Exams-wise, because everybody isn't academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Your English teacher didn't do such a good job either.
    LOL!!

ReputationRep:
    Because in most things, like sport for example, there has to be a loser to be a winner.

ReputationRep:
    Psychological definition for not working hard enough:

Self-handicapping. When people are not sure that they can achieve something and they are scared of failure, they create mechanisms to justify the failure (ie. not studying for an exam, not being prepared for a job interview). This way, if somebody fails, they can blame it on not circumstances (I didn't study enough, I didn't have time to prepare, etc.) and their self-esteem will not suffer (Ferrari 1995).

Basically some people fail because they are afraid of failing.

ReputationRep:
    Some people fail for valid reasons, illness, family death around the time of their exams/revision which cause them to fail due to them not being able to give their 100% effort. However, saying that I had a friend who's mother died about 4 weeks before her exams started and still did really well because she wanted to make her mum proud. I admire her so much she battled on and did well and got into uni.

Others fail because they just don't bother with revision or caring about school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    I don't want obvious answers like not working hard enough etc.
    I'm interested in the 'psychology' of it.
    Do u have a personal story why u failed?
    Discuss!
    Loads of reasons. It all depends on the person. I mean some have very low self esteem - it can cause them to think they're bound to fail anyway and kind of give up before they've even started.
    Others are just plain lazy - leave things till the last minute and not give a damn about it until it's too late to do anything.
    Some people are just plain dumb.
    Some want to succeed but are too busy having fun to do any actual work.
    Also, it also depends on how people react to failure. I mean some people are great when they're faced with difficult situations. Some not so much. Some people look back at past failures and learn from them, whereas some completely ignore past failures to avoid feelings of unhappiness that brings.
    I guess there are just way too many reasons to list really. I guess a person’s personality comes into it. Some people are just more likely to fail over and over again, whereas with some people failure just doesn't come into it.
    (I think that makes sense??)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......)
    There's no failure - only feedback.

That really applies to everthing whether it be exams or life in general.
    this would only be the case if life was infinite in length. if you fail at something which only presents itself once, its a fail, not feedback, as the information cannot be used again in another experience.

ReputationRep:
    Not enough skills, Desire to impress.

ReputationRep:
    Lack of confidence and commitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    this would only be the case if life was infinite in length. if you fail at something which only presents itself once, its a fail, not feedback, as the information cannot be used again in another experience.
    It's still feedback, even if that was your only chance. Obviously you did something wrong (which is why you failed) and the 'fail' is proof of that - so your fail is your feedback whether that was your only opportunity or not.

ReputationRep:
    Because they just don't have 'it.' What it takes to succeed. Its not something that can be learned.

ReputationRep:
    Erm i think your going to need to define your terms before you get an onslaught of suicide causing posts by halfwits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.