Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, My friend mentioned to me that you need a language to get into a course at Edinburgh.

Is this true, because I have never done a language before and would have to crash something?

I plan to do Law.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely says somewhere around that a C grade at GCSE (or equivalent) in a language is necessary, at least for the humanities school.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yeah, i think you need a language at SG/int 2 in order to get into any arts course

ReputationRep:
    No EVERYONE is wrong it clearly states IF a language gcse has been taken it requires a c or above. However you state you have never done a landguage course so you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    * Language

ReputationRep:
    EVERYONE IS WRONG! aaaaaaaaaargh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    No EVERYONE is wrong it clearly states IF a language gcse has been taken it requires a c or above. However you state you have never done a landguage course so you will be fine
    Really?

From General College Entry Requirements

A pass is required at Standard Grade 3 or better, or GCSE Grade C or better, in a language other than English and in Mathematics or an approved science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or CC in GCSE Double award Science).

This applies to all programmes in the College of Humanities and Social Science except programmes in Education, Applied Sport Science and Sport & Recreation Management.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    "A pass is required at Standard Grade 3 or better, or GCSE Grade C or better, in a language other than English and in Mathematics or an approved science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or CC in GCSE Double award Science).

This applies to all programmes in the College of Humanities and Social Science except programmes in Education, Applied Sport Science and Sport & Recreation Management."

To me that suggests that you're wrong?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ahhh, beat to it!

ReputationRep:
    In addition, for all LLB degree programmes applicants must also meet the General College Entry Requirement:

* Passes at Standard Grade (3), Intermediate 2 (C), GCSE (C) or equivalent in alanguage other than English and also Maths or an approved science
    * Passes at Higher (B) or A-level (B) in English, Higher ESOL (B) or GCSE English Literature and GCSE English Language (both A) are also accepted. IB students should have Higher Level English (5)
    HSS - LLB Admissions Information (page 2)

Emphasis mine.

ReputationRep:
    Right so I should take up a language then...I have a space in my column anyway so now I have another question.

The only course I can do - I think - is Int 2 Spanish. So can you do Int 2 Spanish without doing Int 1?

ReputationRep:
    I've got a place to do law this september at Edinburgh, the only language I have is a 3 at standard grade French; I can't imagine languages are very important for getting in.

ReputationRep:
    I know their rule doesn't always apply. My friend is dispraxic, and was offered a place at Edinburgh and other unis without ever studying a language (she finds them impossible). She just rang up and asked about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhaShakeHeartbreak)
    I've got a place to do law this september at Edinburgh, the only language I have is a 3 at standard grade French; I can't imagine languages are very important for getting in.
    Apparently they are - I was unaware of this until a few months ago.

Glad I managed to flook a 3, id be gutted if not working in German when i was 14/15 stopped me going to the uni I wanted to. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    I know their rule doesn't always apply. My friend is dispraxic, and was offered a place at Edinburgh and other unis without ever studying a language (she finds them impossible). She just rang up and asked about it.
    Special circumstances, though - for most people, I would imagine the language requirement would apply, unless you had a VERY good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladylish)
    Really?

From General College Entry Requirements

Yeah thats from 2007 my cousin is studying veterinary science has never done a language so they may say that but still apply
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah thats from 2007 my cousin is studying veterinary science has never done a language so they may say that but still apply
    if your cousin is studying veterinary science then he clearly isn't studying in the college of humanities and social science, is he?

ReputationRep:
    The bit about the language thing applying to 'all programmes in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences' is also important EDIT: beaten, dammit.

It says it in the 2009/10 paper prospectus, too, I believe.

Also, right at the bottom of that link I posted: 'This article was published on May 1, 2009'

2007? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What a strange requirement. Edinburgh are shunning prospective economists, historians and lawyers because they chose not to take a modern language at the age of 14. It makes no odds to me, because I did two languages at GCSE but it seems a tad unfair.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i think perhaps the reasoning behind it is that it's compulsory to take a language to standard grade in scotland, so there are far fewer people who don't have a language. although i'm sure they realise that many people down south will be interested in applying yet won't have taken a language

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.