Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice - I have been accepted to go do my LLB part time at both Caledonian and Strathclyde.

I am being sponsored to do it and have a guaranteed traineeship. What im not sure of is which uni to go to. I know Strathy is well established with a much better reputation but I have heard the support network is not as strong.

Caley on the other hand, whilst it hasnt got the strongest reputation , I have heard it is more positive in terms of supporting its students and it also has the Saltire library.

Does anyone have any view on this?

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottyBhoy)
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice - I have been accepted to go do my LLB part time at both Caledonian and Strathclyde.

I am being sponsored to do it and have a guaranteed traineeship. What im not sure of is which uni to go to. I know Strathy is well established with a much better reputation but I have heard the support network is not as strong.

Caley on the other hand, whilst it hasnt got the strongest reputation , I have heard it is more positive in terms of supporting its students and it also has the Saltire library.

Does anyone have any view on this?

Thanks,
    The Saltire Centre, while aesthetically pleasing, isn't really that big- around 300,000 books (Glasgow University has nearly 3 million). If you've got a traineeship guaranteed, then career prospects isn't an issue- because if it was, I'd have picked Strathclyde. In terms of jobs, the biggest correlation in Scots law firms is to where the partners of the firm you're applying to got their degree from- i.e. a Strath grad would have the (slight) edge on an Edinburgh grad if applying to a certain firm and vice versa- at least thats what the stats show. A touch snobby and shallow if you ask me, but there you go. In terms of partners of large firms, Strath wins hands down so it'd arguably stand you in better stead over the much younger dept at Caley. I think with things like the legal clinic at Strathclyde, it has a lot to recommend it- what has led you to think the support is poor there? Usually the common complaint is that Glasgow leaves you to your own devices whereas Strathclyde gives better support, so its interesting to hear some people think they aren't great shakes either.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.

I totally agree with the career view. There is no doubt if I wasn't guaranteed the traineeship I would be at Strathclyde. I have spoken to 2 other people who are currently doing the PT LLB , 1 of them is struggling. She believes that on asking for help she gets very little back. That is what initially put me off. In comparison I have another friend who completed 1 degree at Caley and his law at Strathclyde. He also found the support network much better at Caledonian.

It isnt a huge issue, I suppose Caley is still trying to establish itself and therefore is keen to support the students to ensure they get through the degrees. I suppose unless you do the same degree at both you will never know. Even in applying, I have noticed a lot of snobbery between the universities but I suppose this is historic.

I am leaning towards Strathclyde at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottyBhoy)
    Thanks for the reply.

I totally agree with the career view. There is no doubt if I wasn't guaranteed the traineeship I would be at Strathclyde. I have spoken to 2 other people who are currently doing the PT LLB , 1 of them is struggling. She believes that on asking for help she gets very little back. That is what initially put me off. In comparison I have another friend who completed 1 degree at Caley and his law at Strathclyde. He also found the support network much better at Caledonian.

It isnt a huge issue, I suppose Caley is still trying to establish itself and therefore is keen to support the students to ensure they get through the degrees. I suppose unless you do the same degree at both you will never know. Even in applying, I have noticed a lot of snobbery between the universities but I suppose this is historic.

I am leaning towards Strathclyde at the moment.
    I see- well, it's possible that your friend is maybe a one off (it's also possible that she's not), and that maybe she's in touch with some of the less hands on lecturers, as every dept has them. Also, its usually those who aren't having a good time who are the most vocal- the relatively satisfied majority are normally those who don't have much to say about things. All that said, Caledonian does pride itself on its support for students, its one of the things they're very big on- and to be fair, they really aren't going to compete with Strathclyde and to an even lesser extent Glasgow on academic resources. Snobbery is unfortunately rife in law, and the name will still carry more weight regardless of how good the dept is elsewhere. Are the firm paying your diploma/fees? The 'big five' in Scotland utterly dominate the law scene- and Glasgow and Edinburgh amongst those five still stick out amongst representation in the top firms. You can probably guage for yourself even with a few probing emails to the departments- see how they do in supporting students before you even get there. If Caley are as serious about helping students as they make out, you might well find you feel you'd be happier there, and with a traineeship (well done by the way) already in the bag, thats probably the most important thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.