Turn on thread page Beta

Can you actually associate some unis with particular types of people? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just asking this because people always have stereotypes of students that go to a particular uni...but then when you ask people seriously they usually say something like 'you will meet all sorts of different people at uni, you can make stereotypes'.

So which is it!?

Examples are Bristol and Exeter which are known to have a higher proportion of people from private school than other unis, so surely this means that you can expect to find private school people that may be slightly wealthier than others?

Just don't know whether to believe people or not when they say things about students at a particular uni!

Also I've heard people say that students at city unis are more outgoing and up for a laugh than those at campus unis. Tbh I don't know what to believe anymore

ReputationRep:
    I think some of the assumptions can be quite accurate. For example, my mate is at Durham and says there really are lots of people who are completely loaded etc, post accents.
    But some of them are compelete rubbish so I think you have to take everything with a pinch of salt and make up your own minds especially through things like open days.

ReputationRep:
    Very very smart people go to the top 5?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I wonder if someone could make a list of the top 50 uni's with a stereotype for every single one of them...

:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Lol I wonder if someone could make a list of the top 50 uni's with a stereotype for every single one of them...

:unsure:
    Genius idea. Imagine the person who actually makes it though, imagine the neg rep from people who don't understand the idea of a stereotype.. :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    To some extent, yes. But obviously, when you scratch the surface you will find all kinds of people.

I was talking to a girl I know. She did her undergrad at Edinburgh and is now doing a masters at Cambridge. I asked her about the common stereotype of all Cambridge students being complete snobs and very posh. She didn't agree with that, but said that the adjective she'd use to describe Cambridge students is 'competitive'. She found that a lot of people there had very high goals in life and that everyone was very competitive, and that it could be seen in all aspects of uni life from academics to sports. You know, in a way that when we took things as having a bit of a laugh in the sports club we were both members of at Edinburgh, the same club in Cambridge took things really seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Genius idea. Imagine the person who actually makes it though, imagine the neg rep from people who don't understand the idea of a stereotype.. :rolleyes: :p:
    Haha maybe everyone should just do their own uni, and then someone can compile them together :tongue:

EG; Sussex - annoying hippies

ReputationRep:
    I suppose that you can associate particular unis with certain types of people to some extent. What irritates me is when *everyone* at said uni gets tarred with the same brush...

ReputationRep:
    Oxford - Jeeves, this tea is a little bit ****. Send down to the kitchens won't you old boy?
    Cambridge- Debt? Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what that means old chap. Whatever it is I'm plenty sure father will pay for it.
    Durham - Quick! Monacles to the ready! We'll show those Oxbridge ********.
    Nottingham - Hey you sexy thaang... wanna go for a picnic?
    Imperial College - OMFG. Is that...what I think it is!? IT CAN'T BE. GOOD LORD, IT IS, IT'S A FEMALE! QUICK, TAKE A PHOTO!

ReputationRep:
    imperial is seems pretty cold and conservative

ReputationRep:
    Well I know Nottingham uni is full of Asians and hippies. And every group job interview I went to had Nottingham Trent students who were clueless northerners.

ReputationRep:
    Machester Met. are all up for a laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    OMFG. Is that...what I think it is!? IT CAN'T BE. GOOD LORD, IT IS, IT'S A FEMALE! QUICK, TAKE A PHOTO!
    LOL :yes: +++

ReputationRep:
    yeah UCL is for legends and errm Oxford is for chopper deeps and Suju Bs

ReputationRep:
    Imperial - males. It's a sausage fest down there.

EDIT: Beaten to it. :emo:

How many Scottish students does it take to change a lightbulb? (I did not write this)

Glasgow University - 76
    One to change the light bulb, fifty to protest the light bulb's right not to change and twenty-five to hold a counter protest.

Strathclyde - 5
    One to design a nuclear powered bulb that never needs changing, one to figure out how to power the rest of Scotland using that nuked light bulb, two to install it and one to write the computer programme that controls the switch.

Caledonian - 7
    One to change the light bulb and six to throw a party because he didn't screw it in upside down this time.

Edinburgh - 1
    He holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

St Andrews - 3
    One to call the butler and two to arrange a tailor in Rome to design and make new suits for the special occasion. If a light bulb in a major building blows then increase to 27 to allow for a brass band playing the last post and five Sun reporters. The following day's Sun will contain something along the lines of "Will's Pals in Blown Bulb Horror".

Heriot Watt - 3
    One to change it and two to figure out how to get high off the old one.

Napier - Only one, but he gets 10 course credits for it.

Dundee - 10
    One to buy and fit the bulb and nine to petition for the electrification of Dundee.

Aberdeen - 2
    One to change the light bulb and one to crack under the pressure.

Stirling - 0
    Stirling looks better in the dark.

RSAMD - 5
    One to change the bulb and four to do an interpretive dance about it.

ReputationRep:
    birmingham? quote me

Found a fuller list of university lightbulb jokes here: http://www.jokefile.co.uk/odds/university.html

ReputationRep:
    what kind of people do you associate with hull uni ?....this should be funny

ReputationRep:
    I hear oxbridge have mainly cleaver people in them, but i think this is a lie :ninja:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.