Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PLEASE need some help with this one! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My twin sister graduated in 2008 then took a gap year. She was granted a deferred place to read English at St Andrews, entry in October 2009. However, she has since realised that she does not want to be at St Andrews for a variety of reasons, though (annoyingly) did not realise until post-Extra cutoff.

After having chatted with someone at UCAS, she has now learned that she can't apply for clearing without first giving up her place at St Andrews. She's stuck in a difficult place because she was lucky enough to get into St Andrews with only a 33 in IB (they wanted a 36) but she would much rather go to a uni further South (we are British residents living outside of the UK, and would prefer to be near family in England).

Is there any way she can look at her clearing options without risking her place? Would you personally risk it?

ReputationRep:
    She can look at universities and make tentative enquiries - I received verbal offers from universities before I receieved my clearing passport 2 years ago (I know it's different now, being all electronic and that...). If she gets an offer from somewhere she'd like to go she should ask to be released.

That's what I'd do anyway

ReputationRep:
    She could look at the Independent from last year and see which universities were in Clearing then, or look at the courses on UCAS with an X next to them - this is generally an indicator that that course will be in Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyLuke)
    My twin sister graduated in 2008 then took a gap year. She was granted a deferred place to read English at St Andrews, entry in October 2009. However, she has since realised that she does not want to be at St Andrews for a variety of reasons, though (annoyingly) did not realise until post-Extra cutoff.

After having chatted with someone at UCAS, she has now learned that she can't apply for clearing without first giving up her place at St Andrews. She's stuck in a difficult place because she was lucky enough to get into St Andrews with only a 33 in IB (they wanted a 36) but she would much rather go to a uni further South (we are British residents living outside of the UK, and would prefer to be near family in England).

Is there any way she can look at her clearing options without risking her place? Would you personally risk it?
    English is such a competitive subject that it is unlikely that any places at unis equivalent to St Andrews will be around for more than a day or two after Results Day, if there are any at all. Judging by the listings in Extra, they'll be few and far between, I'd say, and there's no guarantees that your sister would be successful even if there are places. Although she could ring round now as sweetfloss suggests, the unis are going to say one of two things - "no chance" or "we don't know yet". I would expect the former to be more likely in the sorts of unis she's likely to be interested in, so it might be worth doing if that helps to reconcile her to St Andrews

If she's really sure about not going to St Andrews at any price, she would be far better off simply withdrawing altogether and reapplying next year, when she will be able to choose from all the unis in her range rather than perhaps one or two, if that. In that case, she could ask St Andrews to release her now, before the A2 results are out, so that if by some amazing chance there is a good option in Clearing for her she can go for it straight away. But she should be prepared for the possibility - even likelihood - that she'll be looking at another gap year. Not that that is the end of the world; indeed it might be the better option rather than running up debt etc only to drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Number6)
    She could look at the Independent from last year and see which universities were in Clearing then, or look at the courses on UCAS with an X next to them - this is generally an indicator that that course will be in Clearing.
    No, it's an indicator that it might be. A subtle difference, but an important one :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    No, it's an indicator that it might be. A subtle difference, but an important one :tongue:
    Thanks, Minerva, very informative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyLuke)
    She was granted a deferred place to read English at St Andrews, entry in October 2009.
    Presumably she will need to complete a UCAS application for this year if her place came from an application last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Presumably she will need to complete a UCAS application for this year if her place came from an application last year.
    True - I rather took that for granted!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.