Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why is everyone so panicky (is that a word?) about work exp? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know for a fact not so much work exp is needed from just about everyone in my family who has studied medicine. It does not matter at all, even if you have a few days then it;s fine, you don't need a year in Tanzania or something crazy helping millions of deprived kids in orphanages, or you don't have to find a cure for cancer, so calm down. As long as you can talk for a long time about any work experience or loads about why you want to be a doctor that's all you need.....

ReputationRep:
    :mob:

You're wrong - the length does matters, although the experience gained matters more.

ReputationRep:
    Its because its kind of a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you (not quite sure what the point of this thread is . . . )

It's hard for some people to even get a few days shadowing their local GP, which is why they 'worry' (i.e. they are worried about not getting any work experience at all, as opposed to being worried that shadowing loads of different doctors in different hospitals isn't enough)

Of course some people just worry unneccesarily anyway
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by resortini)
    I know for a fact not so much work exp is needed from just about everyone in my family who has studied medicine.
    In the past, maybe not. Nowadays, if you don't have a ******** of work experience, there are thousands of other applicants who do, so automatically have one up on you.

ReputationRep:
    I had a "few days". I got rejected from Edinburgh because I couldn't demonstrate long-term work experience. So no, what you say is not necessarily a fact in all cases.

ReputationRep:
    Cos basically your ****** without it.

ReputationRep:
    Can people stop correcting a stupid ******* typo - we can all see it's a typo.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much "Work experience or GTFO".

ReputationRep:
    I had about 6 hours work experience, during which I didn't have any contact with doctors or nurses, and I hardly did anything.

Why did I succeed in impressing the interviewer when talking about my WE? I spoke in the absurd, florid newspeak they expect and want to hear. I spouted forth about 'reflecting', teamwork , protocols and, christ, even communication skills. It's called Realpolitik and, according to many, if you plan to work in the NHS you best get used to it.

Work experience has a great value, not just in the sense that'll look good. Med applicants should always try and get work experience, simply to see if they really do wish to pursue it! Then, of course, having some will be of benefit when it comes to your application, compared to someone without, so long as it's worthwhile. I'm currently on work exp, and it's proved to be very useful so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    Work experience has a great value, not just in the sense that'll look good. Med applicants should always try and get work experience, simply to see if they really do wish to pursue it! Then, of course, having some will be of benefit when it comes to your application, compared to someone without, so long as it's worthwhile. I'm currently on work exp, and it's proved to be very useful so far!
    wat
    I thought you were a 09 entry person

(Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    wat
    I thought you were a 09 entry person
    Nope, I'm going onto Year 13 next year. :top:

ReputationRep:
    Not only is work experience important, it's nigh impossible to get any in a clinical setting, which is ultimately what they want you to talk about at interview...

ReputationRep:
    interviewers are not stupid, they understand that its difficult, as everyone knows, but its totally invaluable, and not just for this ruddy tickbox attitude prospective medics have aquired, it supposed to give you an insight into what your trying to be part of, I just more people would treat it as such
    some call it determination but from what ive seen it just aint
    who agrees with my humble opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Not only is work experience important, it's nigh impossible to get any in a clinical setting, which is ultimately what they want you to talk about at interview...
    No interviewer expects you to have clinical experience, just some sort of role in a caring setting
    what medical school are you at?

ReputationRep:
    No interviewer expects you to have clinical experience, just some sort of role in a caring setting
    I understood that most wanted applicants to have at least a little understanding of the career they're applying for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I understood that most wanted applicants to have at least a little understanding of the career they're applying for.
    they do. but there is no requirement to even get within 100 yards of a doctor. you know they'd rather have someone committed to a centre for adults with learning disabilities (or similar), where the work wasn't always especially glamorous than someone whose spent a week shadowing uncle Paul the eminent Neurosurgeon who learns nothing or little of hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even a medical student, just an applicant repeating what I have been told and what I have read on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    I'm not even a medical student, just an applicant repeating what I have been told and what I have read on this forum.
    Marvellous
    Best to wait until you have first hand experience in case you are giving out misinformation without knowing you are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.