Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been on a workout program for the past 6 months and have been steadily increasing my deadlift every week. Recently however, I havn't been able to lift heavier and heavier due to my grip giving out. I currently use an alternate grip so its not a simple matter of changing from pronated to alternate.

I'm thinking about getting some lifting straps but would rather not do this because it'd be better for my forearms to develop and adapt to the higher weights. Also, another option is to do exercises to target my forearms (like wrist curls) but I think that I use my forearms enough anyway on many exercises so I don't want to overtrain. Finally, I have one of those powerball gadgets lying around which I might have a go at using.

Any recommendations on what I could do, be it from the above or something that I've missed would be great, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Chalk?

ReputationRep:
    I imagine its a complete waste of time using a powerball.

Exercises to help might be something like reverse curls, or wrist curls

the above posters probably right, you'll need chalk

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that I wear leather lifting gloves, I would have thought chalk was used to keep hands dry and reduce the risk of calluses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmz34)
    I forgot to mention that I wear leather lifting gloves, I would have thought chalk was used to keep hands dry and reduce the risk of calluses?
    Dear oh dear. Ditch the gloves and use chalk. Yesterday.

Gloves make it harder because it increases the diameter of the bar.

There are several grip exercises. I think you DO need gloves for some of the grip exercises though, because they'll rip your palms and your ******.

Use chalk, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Ask some of the big lifters here what they do, I haven't been restricted by grip as of yet.

ReputationRep:
    I can see that switching to chalk will lead to an instant improvement in my deadlift but it'll only be short term. Ideally, I would like my grip strength to increase with my deadlift- which should happen but hasn't for some reason. Yeah, I was hoping some of the heavier lifters would respond.

ReputationRep:
    PM Powerlifter, he's a big pussycat really.

What's your current lift?

ReputationRep:
    Currently I'm lifting only 110kg and I weigh 70kg so you can see that I'm way off what I should be lifting, its the lame grip thats holding me back right now though.

ReputationRep:
    I did some heavy barbell holds to improve my grip, I'm currently doing 170kg x 5 without chalk and haven't faced any grip issues yet since using mixed grip.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, two extremes.

ReputationRep:
    the forearms and grip aren't one and the same.

the best thing to do is;

heavy holds

so grab heavy barbell or DB [I prefer DB's]

and just hold it until failure

ideal time is 30-45s, if u can hold it longer - up the weight.

there are variants, like barbell, farmers walk, suitcase, etc.. but do the same thing

ReputationRep:
    Pinches?

ReputationRep:
    Have responded to your PM bro

ReputationRep:
    I like weighted hangs from the pullup bar.

ReputationRep:
    plate pinch grip holds

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, are you sure that your gripping it correctly? Sounds really screwy but you learn this after a while climbing, often crunching hard down with your hands doesnt use the full force of your grip.

Also, is it grip failing in as much as you cant get it off the floor or that after 3-4 reps it feels like your fingers are going to drop off? If the second then loosen your grip a little bit as your probably over pinching to make up for how it feels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.