Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in India at the moment, and have been suffering from a really horrible stomach infection. I've seen doctors and been to the hospital and been prescribed all sorts of painkillers, antibiotics etc, but I am finding it really hard to carry on eating. I've hardly eaten for 4 days now and am just about managing to keep myself hydrated, but I just can't manage more than a few spoonfuls of rice, a mouthful of any drink but water etc and I'm really scared

Is this just normal when recovering from a stomach problem and trying to start eating normally? I guess my stomach has shrunk so how can I best get it to expand without making myself sick and even more ill??

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its normal to lose your appetite when you've been ill and it'll probably come back in a couple of days.

Stick to plain foods for the time being and try to eat little and often even if you feel a bit sick. Obviously don't eat if you're actually being sick. I dont think your stomach will have shrunk much tbh and there's nothing you can do about it other than keep trying to eat.

ReputationRep:
    When on my gap year I had some dodgy water in Bulgaria or Turkey and was very, very ill for over a month. You've done the right by going to the doctor, something I didn't do for a month. Basically, keep on whatever pills you're on and keep drinking water. When you're ready to eat more you will; push it a little more every day if you can.

One thing I would do is have a check-up with your own doctor when you get home and see what they can do for you.

ReputationRep:
    If your body doesn't want to want to eat don't force it. There's a reason you go off your food when ill, something to do with eating suppressing your immune system slightly for some reason.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.