Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well I moved to Greece last year to study Languages at a uni. One of the reasons I moved, however, was that my boyfriend lives there. We've been together 4 years and although I've gone there a few times and he's come here (England) a few times it's quite hard as we had to always make do with talking on Skype.

It's hard to get any student loan/finance there so my parents have been paying for me (the plan was to make some money and at least pay them back some of it/all). So anyway after a while I realised that Languages just wasn't for me - I enjoyed some sides of it but some others I very much hated and I felt as though there would be no point in continuing as I didn't like it and therefore wouldn't try my hardest.

I've always been interested in art and anything related and I think that I now want to do a course in make-up (this isn't a rash decision, took a while to figure it out but always been interested). However, the problem is that here in Greece I have found a course yet it is slightly more expensive than in England. The major problem however is that my parents are giving me money for food and things like that which adds up more than just money for uni. If I go to England then I can find a course and it's much easier and cheaper however I will really miss my boyfriend. I know I've got to exclude people from this but it plays a major factor considering we were LDR for 3 years and now to change back to LDR - it's a killer.

My mum really wants me to come back to England because she really misses me and it's getting quite expensive but I don't know. I'm hoping to get a part-time job which could mean I'm paying for some of the money they give so they have to send much less but it's quite hard to find a job here that pays well or decent.

Come on, anyone? Really need opinion of others.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh we can't make the decision for you, but in all honesty it sounds much better to come to the UK. The only thing keeping you in greece is your boy, and you've done long distance before so you know you can do it. Can he not come over with you seeing as you did for him?

I also think it's a bit unfair for your parents to pay for a second degree nevermind the first, but that's just my opinion.

(Original post by PoisonDonna)
    Tbh we can't make the decision for you, but in all honesty it sounds much better to come to the UK. The only thing keeping you in greece is your boy, and you've done long distance before so you know you can do it. Can he not come over with you seeing as you did for him?

I also think it's a bit unfair for your parents to pay for a second degree nevermind the first, but that's just my opinion.
    Oh sorry if I didn't make that clear but I only did one year (actually more like 3/4 of it) and then stopped as I didn't like the course.

Yes, a big reason to stay is my boyfriend and I know we've done it before but it just doesn't feel right after a year of being together to have to do it once again - it's not easy at all and we've done it for many years and I was realisticly hoping that it would end (I thought this was that time).

No, he can't come over as he is doing a course there in architecture. Also, I'm staying at his parent's house (they have quite a big house) whereas in England my parent's house isn't especially big so it would be hard to have room for him and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    LOL

Make the decision that is best for your future. It appears like coming back to England is the best option. I can only laugh at people who choose unis/make career decisions based on their bf/gf. The chances are that you'll break up in the future. What happens after that?! You would have screwed up your career as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh sorry if I didn't make that clear but I only did one year (actually more like 3/4 of it) and then stopped as I didn't like the course.

Yes, a big reason to stay is my boyfriend and I know we've done it before but it just doesn't feel right after a year of being together to have to do it once again - it's not easy at all and we've done it for many years and I was realisticly hoping that it would end (I thought this was that time).

No, he can't come over as he is doing a course there in architecture. Also, I'm staying at his parent's house (they have quite a big house) whereas in England my parent's house isn't especially big so it would be hard to have room for him and things like that.
    Okay, but at the end of the day I think if you stay just for your boyfriend you could end up resenting that fact. Is there a possibility of working for a few months or a year to save up money then starting the course?

It sounds like you're not gonna be ale to have everything you want unfortunately, guess it's just a way of figuring out what's best. Sorry

(Original post by Psycho0101)
    LOL

Make the decision that is best for your future. It appears like coming back to England is the best option. I can only laugh at people who choose unis/make career decisions based on their bf/gf. The chances are that you'll break up in the future. What happens after that?! You would have screwed up your career as well.
    I don't know what that decision is though. I'm not choosing it only because of my boyfriend - there are other reasons such as I'm learning and improving my Italian which I believe can only come in hand for a lot of things and also I live in Milan which is very famous for fashion and therefore doing make-up makes sense doing it there, and, who knows, could gain a lot of contacts and good things could happen.

(Original post by PoisonDonna)
    Okay, but at the end of the day I think if you stay just for your boyfriend you could end up resenting that fact. Is there a possibility of working for a few months or a year to save up money then starting the course?

It sounds like you're not gonna be ale to have everything you want unfortunately, guess it's just a way of figuring out what's best. Sorry
    I have to sort of make a decision now due to parents really pushing me and also a new academic year is about to start (September soon) so I really do have to make a choice pretty soon.

ReputationRep:
    choose something for YOU and not the boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know what that decision is though. I'm not choosing it only because of my boyfriend - there are other reasons such as I'm learning and improving my Italian which I believe can only come in hand for a lot of things and also I live in Milan which is very famous for fashion and therefore doing make-up makes sense doing it there, and, who knows, could gain a lot of contacts and good things could happen.

I have to sort of make a decision now due to parents really pushing me and also a new academic year is about to start (September soon) so I really do have to make a choice pretty soon.
    Maybe I'm being stupid but i'm a bit confused... you're talking about Milan, yet before you said you were living in Greece?!

(Original post by dinkymints)
    Maybe I'm being stupid but i'm a bit confused... you're talking about Milan, yet before you said you were living in Greece?!
    I just noticed I put in Greece. I think cause I went there on holiday and been typing it out a lot - sorry about that, meant to have said Italy. Wow, I'm a little worried how that happened.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.